Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Attn Shaitel Machers:

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 7:26 pm
How much do you make per wig sale??

There was an instagram live last night where a shaitel macher told Sarah Lasry that she barely makes any money when she sells a wig, and that she thought more than once in recent years of stopping to do wigs because it wasn't financially worth it for her , practically making it seem like she's doing her customers a chesed buy allowing them to buy a wig from her.
I believe this woman when she says that she only raises her prices when the wig companies raise THEIR prices. But what I find hard to believe is that she and and all the hundreds and hundreds of shaitel machers, (who all sell wigs for the same prices give or take a couple hundred dollars, so she's not charging less than the global average per wig), are all coming out with pennies per shaitel. It just doesnt make sense.
This being said, I stand with shaitel machers and dont throw blame to them for the cost of todays wigs. They're the middle man in this situation.

But I am SO curious how much they make per wig at the end of the day.

Any honest shaitel machers here care to shed light on this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 7:33 pm
One more thing:

If the shaitel machers truly want to stop the problem of overpriced wigs, and help the consumer as they claim, they should all band together and refuse to pay the wig companies these ridiculous "wholesale" prices they are claiming is now the norm. Shaitel machers paying outrageous prices to start with is a part of the global wig problem. If even 50% of shaitel machers would do this, they would force the wig companies (Irene/ Sary/Miri and the rest) to lower their prices. They need to make a whatsapp chat or something and band together with this idea and take it seriously. It wont just help the consumer, it would help them as well. More affordable wigs means more sales for them overall.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:21 pm
Following

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:28 pm
My sheitel macher said that they make aroung 6-8% commission per wig. That's not alot, considering the time and service that goes in to selling a new wig. The sheitel macher needs to bring in several pieces till they find the right wig. The sheitel macher has to arrange for pick up of the wigs. Then it needs to be repaired & cut. All included in the price of the wig. So it's not much profit for the sheitel macher. Many sheitel machers don't sell wigs for this reason. It's too little profit for the amount of work that goes in to a wig sale.
I don't think wig prices are outrageous. You don't need a $2000-$5000 wig. There are enough choices for under $2000.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:36 pm
I don't think they make a lot off the wig I think they make their money from wash and sets, cuts, and dye jobs. I do agree that the sheitel machers probably are the ones with the most power against the manufacturer and if they all agreed not to sell wigs that have such a high markup they maybe can make a difference.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:44 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
My sheitel macher said that they make aroung 6-8% commission per wig. That's not alot, considering the time and service that goes in to selling a new wig. The sheitel macher needs to bring in several pieces till they find the right wig. The sheitel macher has to arrange for pick up of the wigs. Then it needs to be repaired & cut. All included in the price of the wig. So it's not much profit for the sheitel macher. Many sheitel machers don't sell wigs for this reason. It's too little profit for the amount of work that goes in to a wig sale.
I don't think wig prices are outrageous. You don't need a $2000-$5000 wig. There are enough choices for under $2000.

So if they made 8% on a 3k wig that’s $320. If they sell 5 wigs per week thats $1600 JUST ON THE WIG SALE. Not including the cut , or wash and sets or any other service. This is per week. That’s pretty decent money in my opinion.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
So if they made 8% on a 3k wig that’s $320. If they sell 5 wigs per week thats $1600 JUST ON THE WIG SALE. Not including the cut , or wash and sets or any other service. This is per week. That’s pretty decent money in my opinion.

When you buy a new wig it includes a cut and wash and set. And recut if needed. And sending it back and forth for repairs etc.
I was told that the markup is closer to $700 but just wanted to point out that it’s not “just for the sale”

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:04 am
amother OP wrote:

The sale of a wig includes a cut, wash n set, repairs, several consultation appointments till the client finds the right wig, a recut within the next few months. So it's really not much profit per wig. Alot of time goes in to wig sales, it's quite a small profit for the time and service that goes in to it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:43 am
amother Coffee wrote:
The sale of a wig includes a cut, wash n set, repairs, several consultation appointments till the client finds the right wig, a recut within the next few months. So it's really not much profit per wig. Alot of time goes in to wig sales, it's quite a small profit for the time and service that goes in to it.

I know there are a few Shaitel machers that include cut and color with a new purchase, but most don’t. I have never ever heard of repairs/baby hairs /fixing being included in the purchase price. Especially if it’s a Shaitel macher that doesn’t do the repairs on site and needs to send back to the company.
In fact this whole wig discussion came up in the first place because sarah lasry tried to confirm that after spending thousands on a wig, she wouldnt still need to pay extra to fix the front since she has a widows peak, and she was told
She’d have to pay a few hundred dollars more since her hairline isn’t “standard”. Most if not all Shaitel machers also tack on many costs (tax, cut, color, baby hairs, hairline issues etc)
I guess I can relate since I was screwed many times in this way. I purchased a wig a few years ago from my neighbor whom I had bought a wig from before. She never charged tax in the past. She told me the wig was $2000 so when I decided to buy it I took out $2000 cash to bring to her, and she said it was going to be $2263, since she randomly decided to start charging tax without making an announcement about it to prior customers. Stuff like this is what is irksome. Just let me know in advance so I can make my decision knowing the full picture. An extra $263 for a wig is a squeeze for some people when they weren’t expecting it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:45 am
amother Coffee wrote:

One more thing: I don’t know anyone that received “several consultations” to find the wig. I don’t think that’s true. A recut is never included after the wig is purchased. And a wash and set doesn’t happen during the purchase stage. That’s after. In fact, I’m wondering if you’re a Shaitel macher and trying to justify your prices.
If you’re one of those that actually include all these things with purchase , including a recut a few months after purchase and a free wash and set , then kol hakavod to you. You’re a one off , all other Shaitel machers are not like you.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 11:04 am
amother OP wrote:
One more thing: I don’t know anyone that received “several consultations” to find the wig. I don’t think that’s true. A recut is never included after the wig is purchased. And a wash and set doesn’t happen during the purchase stage. That’s after. In fact, I’m wondering if you’re a Shaitel macher and trying to justify your prices.
If you’re one of those that actually include all these things with purchase , including a recut a few months after purchase and a free wash and set , then kol hakavod to you. You’re a one off , all other Shaitel machers are not like you.

I'm not a sheitel macher, oh my.
But I purchased wigs at 6 different sheitel machers, and everything I listed was included in the price of the wig sale. I never heard of a sheitel macher that charges extra for the cut when buying a wig. Baby hairs are not included because it has to be sent to someone, but minor repairs like taking in the wig or removing wefts are included in the sale price. A wig sale doesn't happen in one visit. It can take 3 or more visits to find the right wig. All those visits are included in the price. The wash n set after the purchase is also included in the price.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 11:10 am
amother OP wrote:

When I purchase a wig I usually have at least two if not more consults. The first time she shows me what she has in stock and we discuss fit of cap, length, color, overall fit of what she has. Maybe maybe one time in the over 25 years that I’m married I have found a piece on the first round. The other times the SM brings in more pieces based on what we discussed. Sometimes it takes another one or two rounds until I find the right piece. After that there is the cut. I pay extra for baby hairs and highlights because SHE pays for them! It goes back to the company. The company is charging not the SM - and she doesn’t charge me extra, just what they charge. After it’s cut I wear it and for sure by the first wash and set and perhaps even at subsequent ones she is always adding more layers, maybe taking half an inch off the length… she always says she wants me to love it and feel good in it. That’s a lot of time spent with me for $320. Anyway I think the whole discussion is ridiculous because it doesn’t matter how much time or money someone spent on learning their trade/profession, I pay for talent. If someone is a self taught graphic artist but has an incredible eye and creates beautiful work I am happy to pay her whatever she charges compared to a highly educated, not as talented graphic artist. In my area you can take your wig to the local unisex salon and have them cut it for the same $35 they charge for a haircut. I prefer to use a woman who had no training at all, is all self taught but has a great eye and gives incredible cuts. I can go the six hundred dollar sales that pop up every now and then or order from China but I don’t have an eye for these things at all so I pay others who were gifted with this.
Same for those who complain about the price of therapy. (This has come up on imamother before and although the need for therapy cannot compare with the need for a wig, it’s all the same attitude.) There are options out there for lower cost therapy (but even if there weren’t), we live (bH) in a society where people can use their talents (and hard work and education) to support themselves. Of course I’d love if all of the above and more were more affordable but I can’t understand where the above attitude comes from.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 2:49 pm
Quote:
Quote:
So if they made 8% on a 3k wig that’s $320. If they sell 5 wigs per week thats $1600 JUST ON THE WIG SALE. Not including the cut , or wash and sets or any other service. This is per week. That’s pretty decent money in my opinion

Your math is wrong 8% of 3k is $240 X 5 wigs is $1200. And that's the max of the range. Other's might only get 6% per 3K wig at $180 a wig (x5=$900). And who says all the wigs she sells are 3k? Who says they sell 5 an average week when she's not specifically having a wig sale.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels