Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Superficial changes won't end the belief that money = worth

chanatron1000

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 11:31 am
Underlying the conspicuous consumption problem is the belief that having more money makes someone better than someone who has less. The reactive opposite belief, that having money makes someone a worse person, is also a factor. It's not about liking nice things. It's about a culture that values the appearance of wealth almost as much as (or in some cases more than) the wealth itself. The wealthy can also suffer from this, because people who are medium wealthy face pressure to take financial risks or structure their financial priorities to appear even wealthier than they are. For the less wealthy, much of the conspicuous consumption isn't the wealthy people type of spending. It's on the types of brands that wealthy people usually don't buy, the ones that produce low quality prestige goods. The wealthy don't buy those because it's not enough of a flex for them, and once they're spending, they'll buy quality.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:33 pm
Wise words!

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:36 pm
Actually superficial changes will change the belief because of cognitive dissonance. If you think your money = your worth, but you begin acting in a more modest way and intentionally choose to buy something that doesn’t have conspicuous consumption written all over it, your belief will begin to follow your actions.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:43 pm
We of all people who have immense supernatural real treasures such as the Torah, a Neshama, a Hashem, the Mitzvos, should know better than to value money over all else.

Money=worth?? G-d created me and imbued in me talents, skill, value, and dignity.

That is all. Money/ possessions is Hevel havalim.

We have lost track. We buy boots and put our heads in them instead of buying them for our feet. It's nonsense.

We need to grab our shopping carts and start accumulating mitzvos.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:52 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
We of all people who have immense supernatural real treasures such as the Torah, a Neshama, a Hashem, the Mitzvos, should know better than to value money over all else.

Money=worth?? G-d created me and imbued in me talents, skill, value, and dignity.

That is all. Money/ possessions is Hevel havalim.

We have lost track. We buy boots and put our heads in them instead of buying them for our feet. It's nonsense.

We need to grab our shopping carts and start accumulating mitzvos.

It helps me to remember “ki lo bemoso yikach hakol.”

I think money and materialism is the avoda Zara of 2023. It’s hard to keep the focus on what’s truly important. I get distracted easily, I don’t know about you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics