Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
S/O wig prices: styling your own wig

synthy

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 7:33 pm
So, I’ve been washing and setting my wigs by myself since I got married. I only use a shaitel macher for special occasions like close family wedding etc. Washing a wig is not all that different than washing your hair. I don’t have lace front, if you do than you have to be careful not to pin it or apply conditioner on it as that could tear the net or loosen hair. Here’s how I do it:

Pin the wig to a foam head and place in sink. Brush it well to make sure there’s no tangles.

Wet the wig with warm water. Using a gentle shampoo (that is, not head and shoulders or clarifying etc), take about a handful and apply it from top to bottom. Don’t rub or scratch like you would your own head, just massage it in with your fingers using a downward motion.

Using a wide toothed comb, gently comb the hair to get the shampoo everywhere. Rinse until the water runs clear. Repeat.

Next, apply some conditioner to the hair from the ear down. If your wig tends to get dry and frizzy, leave it in there for about five minutes. Otherwise you can rinse right away. Rinse until the water runs clear.

Comb the wig straight and let it air dry for a day or two, on the head.

I use a hair blower or blower brush to blow out the wig, especially at the bottom which tends to flip (stylish now, but I personally don’t like it that way). I then use a hair straightener if needed or a curler for curls/waves, using a medium low setting.

It gets easier with practice. You’ll also get to know your wig, each one is different.

Good luck!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:43 pm
I’ve tried and I just couldn’t get it decent looking.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:12 pm
synthy wrote:
So, I’ve been washing and setting my wigs by myself since I got married. I only use a shaitel macher for special occasions like close family wedding etc. Washing a wig is not all that different than washing your hair. I don’t have lace front, if you do than you have to be careful not to pin it or apply conditioner on it as that could tear the net or loosen hair. Here’s how I do it:

Pin the wig to a foam head and place in sink. Brush it well to make sure there’s no tangles.

Wet the wig with warm water. Using a gentle shampoo (that is, not head and shoulders or clarifying etc), take about a handful and apply it from top to bottom. Don’t rub or scratch like you would your own head, just massage it in with your fingers using a downward motion.

Using a wide toothed comb, gently comb the hair to get the shampoo everywhere. Rinse until the water runs clear. Repeat.

Next, apply some conditioner to the hair from the ear down. If your wig tends to get dry and frizzy, leave it in there for about five minutes. Otherwise you can rinse right away. Rinse until the water runs clear.

Comb the wig straight and let it air dry for a day or two, on the head.

I use a hair blower or blower brush to blow out the wig, especially at the bottom which tends to flip (stylish now, but I personally don’t like it that way). I then use a hair straightener if needed or a curler for curls/waves, using a medium low setting.

It gets easier with practice. You’ll also get to know your wig, each one is different.

Good luck!

I style my own wig too. I never quite like how sheital machers do it. I do a couple things differently though.

I don't wash it pinned on a head. I hold the top part of the cap with my thumb outside and fingers inside.

I actually like clarifying shampoo- not every time but I find it removes all the residue from conditioners and products and leaves the hair ultra smooth and light feeling and doesn't get as knotty.

I don't brush while washing and try to avoid it in general because hair is weaker when wet.

I rinse under the bathtub faucet because it is such a strong stream of water and it gets *all* the conditioner out and doesn't leave residue (which leaves to knottiness ime)

I pin it on a wig head and brush, very very gently to top of the cap and front pieces so it dries how I like it (up and back so it stays out of my face) and leave the rest as is. Yes it looks like a mess but it dries just fine.

I avoid using a blow dryer because it is more rough on the hair. I use a curling iron or flat iron on a low temp to style it.

Saves me a ton of money!

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:25 pm
I can wash a wig but I am so bad at doing anything like curls.

youngmother6

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:52 am
I wash my wigs too.

I did it first during sheva brachos I didn’t realize it was unique but I felt like my ‘hair’ was exactly the same for every Sheva brachos and I wanted something different. My family was so shocked that I washed it myself but I didn’t realize what the big deal was.

I dry my Shaitels upside down hanging on a hook. Dries fuller that way.

Sometimes if I want the wig done done I’ll just do a set which is cheaper than wash and set but my wig looks great air dried just not a fancy look.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:10 am
My motor skills are too bad to style. I can't make waves and everything 🙄 I tried to wash and it looks weird.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I can wash a wig but I am so bad at doing anything like curls.

Me too!!!
I’ve tried so many dif irons but it always comes out weird looking

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 4:34 pm
There is a lady in monsey her name is Mrs Leitner she sells a usb with exact instructions how to wash and set your own wig. If I find her contact info I will post it.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 6:56 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
There is a lady in monsey her name is Mrs Leitner she sells a usb with exact instructions how to wash and set your own wig. If I find her contact info I will post it.

TYSM!

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 7:07 pm
I’ve been washing and setting my own wigs for years now. It’s hard at first, but becomes second nature with practice. Now, I can’t imagine paying.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 7:14 pm
I’ve tried so many times & they just come out blach
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels