Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Small and affordable NY communities
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 7:57 pm
Marine park is a great community and the you have access to the abundance of Brooklyn resources.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
In Kew Gardens Hills, a tiny apartment is at least $2,000/month. And public schools are almost all non-jews.

Surprised

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Marine park is a great community and the you have access to the abundance of Brooklyn resources.

How much are rentals?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:20 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
One thing I’m afraid about is that if the community is small and affordable you still might not have many services available, even though technically it’s NYS who provides the services. You can come to Brooklyn and have some of your rent covered by Hamaspik or one of the other big organizations because of your disabilities. And many other services they provide . But I’m not so sure Brooklyn is the right fit for you either. It’s not exactly the place that exudes warmth.

The last time I was in Brooklyn was about 9 years ago, and it was so overwhelming I spent the day pacing around Eichlers until it was time to meet up with my friend. So busy and bustling and loud and just completely overwhelming.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:30 pm
Bayswater rental are cheaper than kgh. But I don’t know ur budget. Also depends on what kind of apt u will need. I think you would need a car. Tuition if u end up in the big schools (not special Ed) then bh it’s a very supportive community and they will help you out. Lots of resources, Gemach’s, nyc services. Special children’s center just opened up a branch of that would fit ur sn kids needs. Nice low key people. Doesn’t have that bustling feeling at all.. more suburban feel although it is close to a lower income neighborhood. There’s a park everyone goes to on shabbos with a lot of friendly people. A few shul options. Doesn’t seem to be a place with a lot of politics.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:31 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
The last time I was in Brooklyn was about 9 years ago, and it was so overwhelming I spent the day pacing around Eichlers until it was time to meet up with my friend. So busy and bustling and loud and just completely overwhelming.

Brooklyn has changed a lot in the past 9 years. And marine park is very calm and peaceful. It's more residential, not as much traffic, and quieter.

Sebastian

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 8:41 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
How much are rentals?

Probably around 2k a month. Its a lot but the services you get make it worthwhile

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 9:13 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Probably around 2k a month. Its a lot but the services you get make it worthwhile

Except that I’ve never had that kind of money, so…

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Bayswater rental are cheaper than kgh. But I don’t know ur budget. Also depends on what kind of apt u will need. I think you would need a car. Tuition if u end up in the big schools (not special Ed) then bh it’s a very supportive community and they will help you out. Lots of resources, Gemach’s, nyc services. Special children’s center just opened up a branch of that would fit ur sn kids needs. Nice low key people. Doesn’t have that bustling feeling at all.. more suburban feel although it is close to a lower income neighborhood. There’s a park everyone goes to on shabbos with a lot of friendly people. A few shul options. Doesn’t seem to be a place with a lot of politics.

I rented in Bayswater in 2006. It was $1800/month for a 2 bedroom.

Sebastian

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 9:51 pm
Rents have gone up all over. If you wanf jewish special ed schools, you are going to have to deal with higher rents.

Is cleveland still not doable

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:16 pm
Yes I'd say rentals across the board of all jewish communities nyc and other big jewish communities are upwards of 2,000 - 2,500 some higher some qualify for section 8 that's super helpful.

smaller communities don't have that type of funding to help all the nyc yeshivas would work with you and section 8 makes the rent doable or rental assistance please check what your eligible for in terms of help with rent.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:18 pm
What about Philadelphia? I know someone who went there for price and drum community

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:19 pm
In NY state look at buffalo? Maybe upstate NY near south fallsberg

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:47 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Rents have gone up all over. If you wanf jewish special ed schools, you are going to have to deal with higher rents.

Is cleveland still not doable

Not staying in cleveland. Many reasons.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:48 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
What about Philadelphia? I know someone who went there for price and drum community

I looked into Rhawnhurst several years ago. It seemed promising then. I’m not sure if it has what we need now, although I haven’t really looked. Anyone know what prices are these days?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 10:49 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
In NY state look at buffalo? Maybe upstate NY near south fallsberg

Upstate rent might be cheaper (I’m not sure) but cost of living is otherwise really high plus not much available services.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:00 pm
Nowhere in NYC is affordable unless you find a hidden gem. Neighborhoods once considered no go zones are now super expensive. The only places I’m thinking of have no Jewish infrastructure in the immediate area and the public schools aren’t great.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:51 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I looked into Rhawnhurst several years ago. It seemed promising then. I’m not sure if it has what we need now, although I haven’t really looked. Anyone know what prices are these days?

NE Philly prices are definitely way cheaper than Queens. If you send to the more RW school that’s in the northeast, you’ll have low tuition but tuition is very high at the MO school. None of the schools are particularly good about special ed and the public schools there aren’t great. In Bala Cynwyd, you’ll find people who send to the public school for a year so they can qualify for services and then force the school to provide services so it’s equal access. Not sure what those living in NE do but the schools have no built in systems

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:53 pm
I’m really not sure u can find a place with what u need outside of Ny. If u weren’t dealing with sn kids it would be very different. Maybe I’m wrong though..

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:18 am
Writing as someone from South Bend who now lives in a big city....I don't know what your kid's needs are. And you've obviously done research about South Bend's services. But you shouldn't think that South Bend is a hick-town, medically speaking at least. And the wait-times are generally less. Look into it carefully before ruling it out.

Also, the cost of housing/insurance/taxes is not the only thing that's less. First of all, there's a LOT less peer pressure, both on yourself and your kids. That reduces unnecessary expenses you might not even know you had. Also, there are very few frum "luxuries" available--no real restaurant, no book store, no bakery, etc. That cuts out a lot of expenses (of course, you have to cook it all yourself!). Also, costs associated with kids' activities are WAY cheaper--like swimming lessons, tutoring, school-sponsored outings. Some of these things are 1/4 the price of a big city.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating