Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
What to do in public

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:53 pm
My first time toilet training. DS is at the point where we can go out and about but he doesn’t know how to hold it in for long. We run into problems with public toilets because the seat is way to big and he gets scared because he can’t even sit. A few days ago I brought along a toilet seat cover I can put on top, but it didn’t even click in and fit. What do people do?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:32 am
I've been to some places that have a family bathroom which has a smaller toilet for children. But usually I train my children to sit on a full sized toilet. I will often hold them so they feel secure and won't fall in.
If your dc is a boy, can he go standing? You may again have to help him a little, but it might be easier for him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:36 am
He has no idea how to do it standing. I haven’t taught him that yet. I’ve tried having him go on a full sized one with me holding him but he freaks out. Don’t want this to hold him back from being trained

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:40 am
You can get a travel toilet seat that you can leave in the car, stroller, or diaper bag.

Like this: Gimars Upgrade Non-Slip Easily Removed Foldable Travel Potty Seat for Toddlers & Kids, 6 Large Non-slip Silicone Pad, Home Reusable Portable Toilet Seat Cover Fits Most Toilets, Free Zipper Bag https://a.co/d/hwKhY1z

Ultimately though, it will be much better if you can help your son get comfortable on a regular toilet. We have the kids hold onto the sides of the toilet while we hold them under their arms. Eventually they feel comfortable just holding on themselves.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 2:38 am
We like the jool seat.
I also always have a diaper I can put on them for a few min just in case

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 2:55 am
We also use a folding travel seat. I bring along wide masking tape or duct tape to cover the sensor so it doesn't flush while the child is on it

metacognizant

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:46 am
I carry around our toddler baby Bjorne potty from home. I put it in a big tote bag to make it less conspicuous. Because it’s exactly the same potty my son uses at home, he’s very comfortable using it. He carries it into a bathroom stall himself (usually the handicapped stall), does his business, dumps out the contents, flushes the toilet- just like at home. Then I clean out the potty with wipes or in the bathroom sink and we’re on our way.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:46 am
I keep a potty in the car. Line it with a bag and you tie it up and throw it out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:54 am
Right. The thing is we aren’t always near a car and can just run out. If I’m shopping for example. I would buy that little seat you attach mentioned above but how do I know it’s going to fit? Mine didn’t… and I don’t want to schlep a bulky bag wherever I go

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:55 am
I don't go out with the kid during the first week.
Then, I put on a pull up when we go out

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:43 am
amother Purple wrote:
I don't go out with the kid during the first week.
Then, I put on a pull up when we go out

So how often are you putting the kid in a pull up? For how long?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:50 am
you bring a little folding potty seat with you until he is more comfortable. it won't be forever. you also reinforce using the bathroom before you go places

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:51 am
Can you link something like that?

cookier

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Right. The thing is we aren’t always near a car and can just run out. If I’m shopping for example. I would buy that little seat you attach mentioned above but how do I know it’s going to fit? Mine didn’t… and I don’t want to schlep a bulky bag wherever I go

The seats that fold into 4 don’t need to fit perfectly. They fit pretty flat on top, and they’re not that bulky. I just keep ours in our diaper clutch since we don’t need wipes and diapers anymore.

If your son is food motivated bring along good snacks. Really upping the treat ante is what got my daughter to use the big toilets at school. I also found it was helpful to go in and check out the big toilets when she did not need to go.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:52 am
https://www.target.com/p/oxo-t.....aw.ds

if it doesn't fit on the toilet you can just use it as a potty with a bag

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:29 am
amother OP wrote:
So how often are you putting the kid in a pull up? For how long?

Usually for another week or so, till they're comfortable using the toilet.
It's important to note that kids sense your anxiety around this, and if you're anxious and worried about it and shlep along a potty whenever you go out, they'll be anxious and uncomfortable using a toilet in a store. Just don't make a big deal about it and they'll hopefully be fine ih.

keym

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:48 am
I taught my boys to go standing pretty early in the process. Even if they prefer sitting at home, I felt standing was an important skill for going out and about.
Then, I kept a small foldable stepstool in the stroller basket that I can bring with to help with the height.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training