Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can I take a 3 hour flight with a sick child?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:03 am
We are supposed to leave in a few hours. Ds (9) has fever. He doesn’t seem congested. His throat doesn’t hurt… but he has 100.8 😐.
He had strep throat recently which was very painful. He did not finish taking all doses so I’m really hoping the strep didn’t come back…
Is it irresponsible to take him on a plane? (Our tickets are not refundable)

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:05 am
Maybe try to get to an urgent care and get him checked. Could be strep again at least u can get an antibiotics and go knowing what’s wrong with him. Refuah shelama! It’s such a hard decision

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:17 am
I would give Tyelenol and take the kid.

If the kid is obviously sick (can't stop coughing, puking, etc) the airline can refuse to let him board or even kick him off (may refund though, IDK), but if the only symptom is a fever, Tyelenol should make it go down temporarily and no one will know. Dress him warmly, since a fever can give you chills.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:17 am
Poor DS! Please seek medical advice.

And remember that everything that happens is min hashamayim, and if this trip turns out to be cancelled, there will likely be a reward down the line.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:38 am
Yes it’s irresponsible and selfish because he will probably share his germs with whoever in near you in line or on the plane. That being said if you will go anyway, have him wear a mask and sit in between family members and not strangers. Also, you might not be covered for medical care outside of the emergency room out of state.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:50 am
Do not dress a child with fever warmly! That can cause the child to overheat and that’s very dangerous!!
Take child to urgent care to rule out the basics, then dose the child and go.
Check your insurance coverage, but assuming it’s viral, it will run its course.
In the event of an emergency, which can happen to anyone, presumedly there will be medical care where you.
Anyone who is flying must assume there are sick people on the plane- even people who aren’t symptomatic yet.
Germs don’t magically fly off a sick person- they need to be coughed, or there needs to be contact.
As you said your child isn’t coughing uncontrollably, I would think it’s totally fine to go.
Enjoy!
And רפואה שלמה!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics