Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Giving clothing away or not

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:27 am
I have some really cute pieces from current baby (3 year old). I don’t plan to ttc until after sukkos (assuming my Rav is ok with that). I have a relative who is a year younger than my baby and probably would use some of the outfits. They don’t need tzedakah at all but all the same I’m sure the mom would appreciate it. But it’s very likely I won’t see these outfits again or they will be ruined.
But what am I saving it for? My next baby may not even be the same gender! Things are somewhat tight due to inflation but we aren’t poor b”H. But I’m still not sure if it is the right thing to do to offer or if I should save in case I will need it.
Thoughts?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:35 am
I save clothing from my kids (first was a girl, second is a boy). I vacuum pack it and put it away. I've already reused gender neutral pieces. White onesies, socks, etc.
I can't imagine buying a new wardrobe for each baby.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:38 am
Save the few pieces you absolutely love and are in perfect condition and not the type to go out of style. Coats, shoes, perfect Shabbos outfits, baby footies in perfect condition ect.

The rest give away.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:38 am
Look at the clothing and be realistic-would you use it again? Even if the next child is the same gender, but it's the wrong season, you may also not use it.
I would keep neutral items, onesies etc that can be worn at any season and even with both genders. It's also nice to keep a few nicer things, but other than that, I wouldn't keep. Storage space is also worth something.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:48 am
My sister had one girl and one boy. She saved every single thing. (And then got divorced)
I had the next boy and took her stuff which I'm still using 3 boys later. No more girls were born....
10 years later she finally donated all the girl stuff which btw in the meantime went out of style

I love taking matching pics of my babies in the same age wearing the same stuff. Some things are convenient to have and not buy again. Otherwise honestly, I always want to buy new things for a new baby but never get an excuse to

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:50 am
amother Amber wrote:
My sister had one girl and one boy. She saved every single thing. (And then got divorced)
I had the next boy and took her stuff which I'm still using 3 boys later. No more girls were born....
10 years later she finally donated all the girl stuff which btw in the meantime went out of style

I love taking matching pics of my babies in the same age wearing the same stuff. Some things are convenient to have and not buy again. Otherwise honestly, I always want to buy new things for a new baby but never get an excuse to

Like I said things are tight due to inflation so I’m wondering if it’s wasteful to give it away and be forcing myself to buy new. Or if I likely won’t use it anyway (bec it’s easier for me to order new than to sort through the boxes in the attic) so I may as well let someone benefit

Also I’m not sure if you realize but posting about your sister who got divorced is not so appropriate in this context. It feels a little hurtful to me.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:07 am
Give away anything dated and keep the other stuff most stuff till a year are not dated but the older the kid gets the more dated I would give that away.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Like I said things are tight due to inflation so I’m wondering if it’s wasteful to give it away and be forcing myself to buy new. Or if I likely won’t use it anyway (bec it’s easier for me to order new than to sort through the boxes in the attic) so I may as well let someone benefit

Also I’m not sure if you realize but posting about your sister who got divorced is not so appropriate in this context. It feels a little hurtful to me.

That point is only relevant bc she was absolutely done having kids, at least for the near future, but we all thought that the next grandkid would be a girl... except that it wasnt... my point is you can't know gender or season. It was not intended to be hurtful at all.

If you think it's easier to buy new than to sort through boxes, it's not wasteful. Consider how much your time is worth. If it will take you an hour, not be a big deal and you earn about $50 a hour, it's probably worth going through because that's the price of just 4 onesies. If it will take hours and hours, it feels stressful, you anyways will know this time around what you prefer (less wasted purchases, more minimal) - no matter what your earning potential, it may not be worth your time.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:33 am
You can take a middle road by keeping things that are special in some way and giving away the things that will be easier to replace. Don't worry so much about waste because maybe someone else will be giving it away when you need it! And it isn't waste if it's going to good use. If you have money concerns and it's in good condition you can try selling it as a bundle on fb marketplace or the like but it's so much easier to just give away.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:36 am
You can always tell her you might want them back when she’s done with the clothes.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:45 am
Great advice I got from a frugal mom of double digits family, keep everything in good condition up to size 2, then give away the rest. Fashion doesn't matter much for the little ones but once they're a bit older you'll care more than you'd like to admit. Over the years I found this to be good advice.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:45 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Great advice I got from a frugal mom of double digits family, keep everything in good condition up to size 2, then give away the rest. Fashion doesn't matter much for the little ones but once they're a bit older you'll care more than you'd like to admit. Over the years I found this to be good advice.

I also like to keep warm coats in good condition, snow boots, swim wear & pj's. Otherwise everything gets given away.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
I also like to keep warm coats in good condition, snow boots, swim wear & pj's. Otherwise everything gets given away.

The spandex in swimwear disintegrates. If you haven't yet given birth to the next wearer, pass them on.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:03 pm
Give away if you know you’ll just put them up in the attic. Worst case you can take hand-me-downs for your next baby. People are always giving away baby clothes.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:20 pm
If your baby is 3 and you are not planning to have another one before 18 months, then these baby clothes will not be worn before five years, after they were purchased. Think if you would reuse them after five years or not. Also depends how much storage space you have. I have 2 girls that are 4 years apart. I do reuse clothes, but everyone is different. By now I'm done having kids hopefully, and till a year ago, I was holding onto the clothes my baby outgrew, for the einiklach, as I have a son in shidduchim but gave everything away already bh. He is 6 yrs in shidduchim already. My baby is over 3 already. Right when she outgrows, I pass it on to a younger girl in family. My son says he anyways won't use my hand me downs. I was just saving when you need a change if clothes by bubbys house. Then I figured, at that time I can by two stretchies and two undershirts for changeover if needed. My space is worth more, don't have where to keep so much stock. Now I see, my two girls I'd like to match in summer. In winter it's fine, as my older one is in uniform and my younger one not, so she needs an entire wardrobe and not in matching so it's fine to reuse.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:21 pm
I'm in team give it away. You'll enjoy seeing your nephew or whoever wearing those things.
Yes, extra special things keep.
I like passing to my sisters bec I know they will send to me at some point. My first is a boy, I kept all layette and passed bigger things on. 3 years later my baby is a girl. I took some of ds strechies and passed it to my sil. Even if my next is a boy, it'll be 6 years old... I told her if it survives I'll take it back. (If her baby is not crawling and Killin it all)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics