Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Moose Knuckles clothing- Obscene?
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:22 pm
They obviously didn’t know when they bought it. If I bought such a coat and found out after, I would try to remove the logo. I feel it’s a little different than rainbow stuff. It’s ironic that they bought it thinking it’s a prestige symbol on their arm, but if they only knew... My daughter went with her friend to 5 below and came home with a rainbow snow globe that said Love is Love. She really didn’t know. I just made her keep it in her room. And when I used her room as a guest room, I made sure to hide it.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:24 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
MYOB

One on one, I would do this, but maybe someone can send a PSA to the local magazines, for those not online.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:24 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
P*y is only ever used in a s*xual context to my knowledge so yes, it's offensive. People should be aware.
Just like I've seen self described insular posters use casual terms here that are related to bathroom functions and are at least crude even if not vulgar--and if they knew the actual meaning they'd never use it. It's actually doing them an unkindness not to let them know.

And you'd be shocked at how many frum people use it in their bedrooms. I'm just saying it's not necessarily offensive - if someone is saying "pussycat" I don't think they need to be "educated."

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:25 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Offensive or not, do you want to be walking around with a crude body part name on your clothing?

Yes, I'm toally not referring to that part of the conversation. Just responding to the fact that it was called "offensive" and the idea that everyone needs to know not to say "p****" in other contexts

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:29 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
P*y is only ever used in a s*xual context to my knowledge so yes, it's offensive. People should be aware.
Just like I've seen self described insular posters use casual terms here that are related to bathroom functions and are at least crude even if not vulgar--and if they knew the actual meaning they'd never use it. It's actually doing them an unkindness not to let them know.

And that's my point - it's used s*xually, so it's not offensive. It's not like someone cursing at you... I'm not saying we should go around saying it - of course not! But it's a crude and s*xual name for a body part. If it's used in another context it's not the same thing. Why teach people "bad" words?

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:30 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
And you'd be shocked at how many frum people use it in their bedrooms. I'm just saying it's not necessarily offensive - if someone is saying "pussycat" I don't think they need to be "educated."

Why would you think I'd be shocked at that? I know what sort of context it's used in and who cares if it's used in a bedroom setting. But using the word p*y outside of a private intimate moment while in front of others is completely different. If you teach correct body part names to your kids, you wouldn't ever teach your daughter to refer to her p*y.

And I'm not referring to people telling their kids to "look at the pussycat" obviously, that's a different story.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:33 pm
And that's my point - it's used s*xually, so it's not offensive. It's not like someone cursing at you... I'm not saying we should go around saying it - of course not! But it's a crude and s*xual name for a body part. If it's used in another context it's not the same thing. Why teach people "bad" words?

Because people who don't know, and would otherwise use it innocently in front of others, should know. Especially if they'd never use it if they knew the actual meaning.

Like, wouldn't you be embarrassed if your young son was talking to your rav or his rebbe about being "screwed over"? Of course he's using it innocently. But you know it has a crude meaning and you are embarrassed that his rebbe hears him using a crude term.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:43 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Why would you think I'd be shocked at that? I know what sort of context it's used in and who cares if it's used in a bedroom setting. But using the word p*y outside of a private intimate moment while in front of others is completely different. If you teach correct body part names to your kids, you wouldn't ever teach your daughter to refer to her p*y.

And I'm not referring to people telling their kids to "look at the pussycat" obviously, that's a different story.

Well then we're in agreement, because I'm talking about "pussycat!"

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:44 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Because people who don't know, and would otherwise use it innocently in front of others, should know. Especially if they'd never use it if they knew the actual meaning.

Like, wouldn't you be embarrassed if your young son was talking to your rav or his rebbe about being "screwed over"? Of course he's using it innocently. But you know it has a crude meaning and you are embarrassed that his rebbe hears him using a crude term.

Yes of course, I'm responsible for teaching my children what to say and not to say. But I don't think it's my responsibility to go around teaching the whole community about bad words they're using innocently.

Love this site

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 8:44 am
amother Natural wrote:
It may have been done intentionally so that readers will send in a letter to the editor regarding its innuendo so everyone can be made aware.

I ripped it open to eagerly read the letters and it turns out you are right! Definitely looks like it was planted there on purpose. The letter is very well worded that the readers who are unassuming aren’t suddenly enlightened. Hameivin Yovin.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 8:53 am
Love this site wrote:
I ripped it open to eagerly read the letters and it turns out you are right! Definitely looks like it was planted there on purpose. The letter is very well worded that the readers who are unassuming aren’t suddenly enlightened. Hameivin Yovin.

There was actually another phrase in last week's mishpacha which was definitely not intentional but totally shouldn't have been there. I decided not to write in, because why educate people, but I wonder if anyone else noticed it...

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 9:19 am
Love this site wrote:

Can you post the letter please?

Wolfsbane

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 9:21 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
I use it too Confused
I wondered why it was filtered when I used p**** about spots
Still don't know what bad meaning it has Dont know

Seems like a fairly widespread use. Apparently "purulent" is a good alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jIeQ-cdDBWw

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:04 am
Wolfsbane wrote:
Seems like a fairly widespread use. Apparently "purulent" is a good alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jIeQ-cdDBWw

That was funny lol..
Of course it can be used in relation to pus (like coming from a wound), but it's pronounced differently. Only can be misconstrued when written

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:26 pm
Can someone post the letter that mishpacha wrote this week? They responded about moose knuckles?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:16 pm
Love this site wrote:

Very Happy

Sometimes I think they use this site for keeping a finger on the pulse of today's issues.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Rav Aharon Kotler’s last name was originally פינס.
That wouldn’t be appropriate in English so it became Kotler. Even now רחוב פינס in Jerusalem is the subject of a lot of jokes by Americans. Some just refer to it as Pines- rhymes with wines. You do have to take into account the culture around you when using words that can easily be offensive in the common vernacular.

Wow. Flashback to my seminary days. We thought the name of this street was hilarious

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:14 am
There was actually another phrase in last week's mishpacha which was definitely not intentional but totally shouldn't have been there. I decided not to write in, because why educate people, but I wonder if anyone else noticed it...

About the carpet matching the drapes? TMI Can't Believe It

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:38 am
amother Feverfew wrote:

Uh oh. I didn’t spot it. Where was that?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:42 am
amother Feverfew wrote:

YES!!
And they quoted it on the table of contents page - just pulled out that part about a hatzalah member seeing if the carpets matched the drapes. I was so shocked 😂
There is literally no basis for using it about actual carpets and drapes... I feel like someone heard that phrase and thought they could use it this way, but it's totally not the way people use it
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics