Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Super picky one year old!!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:22 am
My 13 month old son has been a picky eater since we started solids at six months. He had a ton of ear infections and so I blamed it at that. He just got tubes four days ago , and waiting for the miracle to happen - that he starts eating everything! So far all he likes is yougurt pb sandwiches banana and sometimes a dot of shnitzel and potatoes! I'm getting worried any tips?

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:25 am
thats more than my daughter ate at that age
and im a feeding therapist Can't Believe It

it can often take up to 15 exposures to a food before a child develops a liking to something.

keep trying, keep offering different foods and textures and temperatures

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
My 13 month old son has been a picky eater since we started solids at six months. He had a ton of ear infections and so I blamed it at that. He just got tubes four days ago , and waiting for the miracle to happen - that he starts eating everything! So far all he likes is yougurt pb sandwiches banana and sometimes a dot of shnitzel and potatoes! I'm getting worried any tips?

The more you stress out, the more he'll resist eating. Easier said than done, I know, but it's true.

Eat together as a family so he sees you eating other foods. Perhaps he'll want. However, always have a "safe food" available.

I have a lot of picky eaters in my family, including my son and nephew.

It's not something they always outgrow. He may have to live off of those foods you mentioned, and I think those are all pretty healthy. If I were you, I really wouldn't worry.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:30 am
Thanks guys! Trying rly hard not to stress... but I am

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:04 am
amother Latte wrote:
thats more than my daughter ate at that age
and im a feeding therapist Can't Believe It

it can often take up to 15 exposures to a food before a child develops a liking to something.

keep trying, keep offering different foods and textures and temperatures

This.

And probably get him off all dairy.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:06 am
If there's an ear infection problem, it could be it hurts to chew harder foods.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:45 pm
I'm not sure if this is reassuring or not but my son who is turning three still only like five foods (besides nosh!)
Grilled cheese, string cheese, clementines, persian cucumbers and plain rice

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:57 pm
My dd was super picky at that age. I could never give her anything like chicken from our supper. She would eat yogurt, cheese, cheerios, crackers, and a few fruits. That was basically it.

She is now a preteen and is still my pickiest kid, but she eats a decent variety now - at least a few things from all food groups. She’s not that open to trying things outside her comfort zone, but over time she has eaten more and more.

Just keep exposing him to different things and don’t stress for now. Keep his diet as well rounded as possible, even if it’s very repetitive.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:59 pm
Check for oral ties, small dental arches, narrow palate. These issues can cause recurrent ear infections as well as difficulty feeding.

In addition, I'd remove processed foods as much as possible, children tend to restrict themselves to those.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics