Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Attention NY SLPs
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 9:56 pm
The more things change the more they stay the same" (Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, 1849)
Dear Fellow SLP,
While cost of living has gone up exponentially over the past few decades, the rates for Independent SLP providers in NYC have not increased since the early 1980's.
It's time we come together to campaign for an increase in the reimbursement rates.
Please join us in signing the enclosed petition. We are hoping to get elected officials involved in our lobbying efforts. The more signatures we get, the stronger the impact.
Please read the enclosed letter. To sign on, please email SLPUnited23@gmail.com with your name and license #.
For periodic updates and /or to see a list of providers who have joined, you can go to link: https://docs.google.com/docume.....aring
Please forward this email to fellow SLPs who may want to sign on.
Thanks in advance,
SLPs United 2023

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:33 am
Bumping this up for the morning ppl

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:37 am
Ugh I'm so cynical at this point about our rates to believe anything will ever change. But I guess it's worth a try.
Question, though, this is about RSA rates, not contract agencies? Majority of speech therapists I know work for contract agencies. Will this affect the rates that agencies offer?
It would be nice to increase rsa rates, but most speech therapists don't have an entire caseload of rsa's. They work mainly for agencies which pay peanuts.

Also I'm totally waiting for some posters to jump on this thread and claim how our rates are soooo amazing lol. There are a couple of them that do that on every therapy thread. Or we DESERVE to never get raises throughout our ENTIRE career because our jobs are "flexible."

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:43 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Ugh I'm so cynical at this point about our rates to believe anything will ever change. But I guess it's worth a try.
Question, though, this is about RSA rates, not contract agencies? Majority of speech therapists I know work for contract agencies. Will this affect the rates that agencies offer?
It would be nice to increase rsa rates, but most speech therapists don't have an entire caseload of rsa's. They work mainly for agencies which pay peanuts.

Also I'm totally waiting for some posters to jump on this thread and claim how our rates are soooo amazing lol. There are a couple of them that do that on every therapy thread. Or we DESERVE to never get raises throughout our ENTIRE career because our jobs are "flexible."

Lol was just about to say this
Im not holding my breath OP
I hate being a SLP its the stupidest degree and makes no money

ETA: poster above me is correct. I dont see any RSA cases, but my rate is still low. Will this petition change anything for us that work for agencies? Whats the point in me signing something that doesnt effect me

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:11 pm
If the base rate gets increased then yes agencies will increase as well. Or therapists that know the base rate increased will be able to demand higher rates from the agencies.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
If the base rate gets increased then yes agencies will increase as well. Or therapists that know the base rate increased will be able to demand higher rates from the agencies.

demanding doesnt do anything. I demanded a raise and they gave me a $1 more an hour. when I asked for more they told me take it or leave it. I couldnt risk being out of a job in september so I took it
this field will never get better OP. im too cynical to believe otherwise

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:35 pm
I'm a bit confused here. I used to do the billing for several slp's years ago. They worked privately and accepted RSA's. The rate was 90 dollars per session. Did the rate go down? Or is $45 per session what the agency pays

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:38 pm
90 would be if it’s a bilingual rsa Where as 45 is monolingual. Right now the agency won’t give you more cause they are making the 45 and need to pay their expenses but if the rate increases and they get 65 they will definitely have to give you more.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
I'm a bit confused here. I used to do the billing for several slp's years ago. They worked privately and accepted RSA's. The rate was 90 dollars per session. Did the rate go down? Or is $45 per session what the agency pays

The agencies pay approx 65 an hour which is about 32 per half hour session. Rsa's pay 90 an hour which is 45 per half hour session

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
90 would be if it’s a bilingual rsa Where as 45 is monolingual. Right now the agency won’t give you more cause they are making the 45 and need to pay their expenses but if the rate increases and they get 65 they will definitely have to give you more.

But do the agencies get the RSA rate of 90 an hour? I don't think they do, but I could be wrong. I think they get lower than that, because of the whole bidding for contracts system. I think whichever agency bids the lowest wins the contract. It's such an awful system and needs to change. The ones who suffer the most are the providers who are getting paid pennies with stagnant rates for decades

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:22 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
demanding doesnt do anything. I demanded a raise and they gave me a $1 more an hour. when I asked for more they told me take it or leave it. I couldnt risk being out of a job in september so I took it
this field will never get better OP. im too cynical to believe otherwise

Lol same here

Even if by some miracle the DOE raises the rates, the agencies will throw us a few dollars and keep it all for themselves.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:00 pm
Don’t know where in NY you are working but in my area there is such a shortage of SLPs that I know of a few that went to the school they were working in and told them that they won’t be working for the agency next year and only do RSAs most agencies don’t have enough therapist so the school knows they won’t get a replacement and are willing to do it

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:03 pm
I wouldn't count on the rates going up. Adams keeps saying how there is no money in the budget because all out money is going to the illegal immigrants. Technically yes the rates should go up, especially because of inflation. But all our tax money is being diverted elsewhere.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:04 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
The agencies pay approx 65 an hour which is about 32 per half hour session. Rsa's pay 90 an hour which is 45 per half hour session

65 per hour doesn't seem like a little money to me..

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:15 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:

Someone had to say it. So I'll respond. It's a nice hourly rate. But the amount of hours you can physically work is limited. If a student is absent, you don't get paid for sitting there. If school is off, you don't get paid. If 2 grades go on a trip, you don't get paid. You can't work from 9 to 5. You are limited in the amount of billable hours. So at the end of the month, you don't get all that much. Which is upsetting when you have a master's degree that cost close to 100K.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:33 pm

Youre clearly not an SLP to make such a comment.

We have absences. We cant work 9-5. Our degrees are over 100k. We are limited in our billable hours. There is paper work. Talking to parents. prepping over 12 separate lessons a day...

I made under 50k last year. This field will soon die and no one will want to go into it

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Don’t know where in NY you are working but in my area there is such a shortage of SLPs that I know of a few that went to the school they were working in and told them that they won’t be working for the agency next year and only do RSAs most agencies don’t have enough therapist so the school knows they won’t get a replacement and are willing to do it

Brooklyn. Theres a shortage by us too. 4 slps left this year to go teach in their kids schools. pays more than what we get. but it didnt really phase my agency they didnt offer any of us raises and now theyre sending us weekly emails begging us to pick up more cases. I feel bad so many kids arent being serviced

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:44 pm

You obviously have no idea what goes into being an SLP. First, you spend minimum 4 years getting an extremely difficult degree that costs upwards of 80k.
Then, if you get a school based job through an agency, you are doing sessions all day back to back. Each session requires prep time and sessions notes. Every parent expects to be contacted regularly. There are reports that need to be written throughout the year. There is invoicing paperwork for billing to go through. Each hour of therapy is really multiple hours because of all the outside work.
Then, you don't get paid for absences or days off, ever. So suddenly 65 an hour doesn't come out to so much anymore, and the paycheck at the end of the month is pitiful. Therefore, many therapists need to take on extra cases in the evenings and on Sundays to compensate for that. and the next thing you know you're drowning in endless sessions and endless paperwork. And parents are mad because you're not calling enough and not making enough progress, but what are you supposed to do when you're forced not take on a huge caseload because the rates are abysmal?

Now how does that seem to.you?

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:49 pm
And here I am desperately trying to find any speech therapist to pay out of pocket. But nope they're all busy in the schools and nobody is available. I'm paying $90 cash for a 30 minute session to the one person I could find.

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:52 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
And here I am desperately trying to find any speech therapist to pay out of pocket. But nope they're all busy in the schools and nobody is available. I'm paying $90 cash for a 30 minute session to the one person I could find.

If we didn't have the full school day of sessions which we need to make even a small salary, then maybe you would be able to find someone with free time. But clearly everyone is busy all day with pathetic rates and don't have time for a private pay session. Barely anyone in Brooklyn is willing to pay privately, so most slps can't fill up their day with private paying clients.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries