Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If I dont sleep train, when can I expect baby to sleep thru
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:25 pm
the night? my baby is bottle fed and a big 10 month old. she still wakes up a couple times a night for feedings. when can I expect her to wean herself and not need food at night?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:31 pm
Would you try watered down bottles or just water, assuming she eats sufficiently at night?
You can try holding & rocking back to sleep without offering food.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:34 pm
She may not ever transition on her own, it’s a habit. I had a niece taking bottles at night till 2.5…

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:35 pm
Are you confidant that she’s eating enough during the day to not need food at night? If yes, have you tried to soothe her in other ways before offering food for the night wake ups?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:42 pm
Cutting out night feedings is not sleep training.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:11 pm
I did not sleep train.

When my babies woke up, I threw in a bottle from the fridge and went back to sleep.

At 2 1/2, I would "forget" to take their bottle to Bubby's house, when we went for Pesach/Sukkos.

That is how they were weaned from night feeding and started sleeping through the night.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:17 pm
My 3 year old still doesn’t sleep through the night, I think it depends on the kid.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:30 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:

interesting.
my baby takes a bottle a few times a night and goes right back to sleep.
she definitely eats enough during the day.

I'd love to have her sleep thru the night without doing a whole process... any tips?

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:32 pm
Help her soothe and don’t give bottles anymore. It’s a bad habit they need to break.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:

Exactly
You can just go soothe your baby by patting her back until she dozes off. It will take a few days and then her body will get used to skip that feeding.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
interesting.
my baby takes a bottle a few times a night and goes right back to sleep.
she definitely eats enough during the day.

I'd love to have her sleep thru the night without doing a whole process... any tips?

yeah you'd have to stop the night feedings. so at 10 months, if baby is fat, and also gets a lot of solids, then you can eliminate the bottles. just cuddle/hush/pat her through when she wakes up for it. you can also gradually lessen the amount in the bottle or maybe water it down (I never gave bottles at night but when weaning, I delay and also shorten the nursing time)

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:59 pm
Good luck trying to stop night feeds. It’s easier said than done lol.

For me it depended on the baby. Some of my babies slept through from 3 months old and others from 14 months old.

effess

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:05 pm
I’ll echo the night feedings elimination.
I would do it slowly.
I’d cut out one at a time and edit a few days in between.
Holding, sitting nearby speaking in soothing voice when wakes up.
Water in the bottle to be kept nearby in case baby gets thirsty.
My babies bh were not sleep trained. It was a natural progression.
By the time they were 10 months old I moved them out so less noise at night from me.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:07 pm
Afew of my kids that slept through the night as a baby, started waking up several times a night between the ages of 2-4.... so sleep training as an infant doesn't mean anything. I did not sleep train my babies, but moved them out at around 7-10 months and they started sleeping through the night on their own bh.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:43 am
An acquaintance of mine said she needs her uninterrupted sleep. She said she used to feed her babies every hour a few hours before it was final bed time.
They slept through the night.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:20 am
Once they have teeth, bottles at nighttime are not a great idea, unless they're water only. Google "baby bottle mouth".

By stopping bottles after bedtime and before breakfast, you're being a great mom, saving her pain and possible pulled teeth when she is older.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:48 am
Every baby is different. I had one amazing sleeper who I trained at 9 months. My husband would hold her when she woke up for a feeding. He never fed her so she didn't associate him with food. Within 3 nights she went from 4× waking up to 1× and then we had one more night and she realized she was safe and not hungry. But she was eating 3 meals a day at that point. I don't think any baby needs more than 1 bottle at night by 10 months. She might need comfort. Which takes less than 5 minutes and then they fall back asleep. There are exceptions of course. Babies that nurse are taking 2-3 oz at a time at night. Bottles at this age are 4-8 oz. Not necessary to give more than 1.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 4:08 am
I never did sleep training. I bf on demand. My babies slept through the night at a year old.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 4:46 am
imasinger wrote:
Once they have teeth, bottles at nighttime are not a great idea, unless they're water only. Google "baby bottle mouth".

By stopping bottles after bedtime and before breakfast, you're being a great mom, saving her pain and possible pulled teeth when she is older.

A friend of mine is on a personal mission to educate everybody about this. It’s also known as milk that. She ignored everybody’s warnings and gave her babies bottles (formula and milk) in bed. At a very very young age, her daughter suffered tremendously from the milk, she had to have many if not all of her teeth pulled and implants placed and very young age, which would later be removed to allow her grown-up teeth to grow in. A lot of unnecessary surgeries and pain because her mother did not want to deal with nighttime parenting.

I have a current student that I’ve had now since she was four. She also had milk-rot, but her parents did not treat it. From the time she was four until seven I watched her teeth decay more and more, it was heartbreaking. I hope her bones were not affected.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total

ynms

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:01 am
My babies start sleeping through the night when I wean them from nursing..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics