Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Franklin institute - worth a trip?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:08 pm
Have been to Liberty Science Center and New York Hall of Science. Not very recently but we live where it's easy to go again. Is Franklin Institute in Philly different enough to feel fresh to kids who have been to the others?

We are on limited time so it would mean foregoing the more unique historical sites in the area, but I'm concerned the kids will be bored with the history/touristy type of day. But if we can do the same thing closer to home then why not try for both (other than the fact that when we're not traveling we don't shake ourselves out of the house often enough...)

Also is there anything active/climb-y there? I have a kid who needs to stretch or climb or bounce. Liberty Science has some physical things and NYSci has the playground in season... wondering if we go here do I need to schedule a separate stop for climbing or if there's something within Franklin that would do. Also need to know whether girls need leggings.

Thanks in advance!

Eta parking tips are also appreciated!

Whrnbsn

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:15 pm
Haven’t been there since I’m a child but I have only good memories of the Franklin institute. If your kids appreciate science, they have amazing, kid friendly exhibits, demonstrations, interactive stuff, etc. totally worth a trip in my opinion.

Shoshie

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:06 am
Yes.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:47 am
We loved until we found out it’s not kohen safe 😞
Parking is expensive city parking. I found it to be very worthwhile

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:27 am
Yes, it's a really nice museum.
They have a heart climbing thingy that can be fun for your climber.

chams

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:58 am
Did not know this and have been a few times. Which part isn't kohen safe? Did u ask a rav?

amother Yolk wrote:

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:34 am
amother Yolk wrote:

How do you know that the cadavers are from Jews?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:40 am
Iymnok wrote:
How do you know that the cadavers are from Jews?

Doesn't make a difference to a kohen if its Jewish or not..
My husband would love to be a doctor but due to the learning being with bodies its not possible...

chams

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:50 am
Did you look into it to make sure it was real before you bones not a dummy. Which exhibit was it in? I would like to look into it further. My dh is a kohen and a camp director and for an easy trip on a fast day we take camp to the Franklin Institute.... Thank you

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:14 am
DS12 liked Franklin Institute after several trips to LSC.
They have an outdoor playground.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:48 am
My husband is a kohen and can’t go to Franklin institute, liberty science center or ripleys believe it or not. There is a kohen handbook in Lakewood and they investigated these museums. The bones might not be in an exhibit we were told they are in the basement it’s a problem

chams

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:17 am
Thank you for this response. Please tell me where you can find this kohen handbook in lakewood so that we can get one.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:28 pm
You can email to:

mishmereskohanimlakewood@gmail.com

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:32 pm
Went. Additional info:
Outdoor park is closed for the season or repairs or something.
There's a very climby thing in the brain area. It has moody lighting but fortunately my climby kid is not that kind of sensory.
I parked on the street a couple of blocks away and then realized that if I would have kept going there were more spaces around the corner from the museum across from some library. 3 hour parking but there's an app so you don't need to walk back to pay for more time. Parking at the museum is $20 for the full day which is probably worth it, the meters were only a little less.
So far so good on museum enjoyment. A little crowded with school groups but still nice.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 4:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Went. Additional info:
Outdoor park is closed for the season or repairs or something.
There's a very climby thing in the brain area. It has moody lighting but fortunately my climby kid is not that kind of sensory.
I parked on the street a couple of blocks away and then realized that if I would have kept going there were more spaces around the corner from the museum across from some library. 3 hour parking but there's an app so you don't need to walk back to pay for more time. Parking at the museum is $20 for the full day which is probably worth it, the meters were only a little less.
So far so good on museum enjoyment. A little crowded with school groups but still nice.

So nice of you to come back and update everyone. I'm glad you are enjoying!

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:33 pm
My kids went yesterday with my husband. They all had a great time! (Kids 19 to 6 1/2!!!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics