Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Front loader washing machine mold

best

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:42 am
Anyone has a mold problem with previous machine but new machine is ok ?

Meile doesn't have a mold problem but it small, expensive and German. Ge claims their new machine pops open when load is finished to prevent mold, did anyone experience the difference?

carnation

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:45 am
I never had a problem with mold because I always leave the door open when not in use.

I heard running a wash cycle with vinegar on an empty machine gets rid of the mold.

Pamela

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:57 pm
I always leave my machines open in between loads (new electrolux machines, barely a year old) and I always have mold beneath the funner gasket. Other than scrubbing it with chemicals and qtips, is there any other way to get rid of it? I run my machines periodically with vinegar, lemon juice and a bit detergent. That clean’s the drum but not the gasket

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:05 pm
First of all, you're supposed to dry the gasket and all its folds after every wash session. Water collects there and the only way to prevent mildew is to DRY IT. Just keeping the door open won't cut it.

Second, if you already have a moldy gasket, rub it down with bleach. Keep wiping with a clean part of the cloth till you no longer see mold coming off on the cloth. Then give another good wipe to make sure it's all dry. In future, see "first of all."

best

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 7:13 pm
Had 2 LG washers kept door wide open ,but still had mold , my Kenmore never had any. would like to hear from someone who has a GE

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 7:27 pm
LG is very good when kept open religiously.
The Miele feature sounds really nice. I do wonder what happens when people just close the door though after unloading.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 7:51 pm
I got rid of mine bec of mold (only a few years old) and got a GE a few months ago that I love. It doesn’t pop open. It has a venting system and is made of a diff type of material that’s mold resistant. It’s only been a few months so don’t know long term

MinnieMa

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:18 pm
I don’t mean to derail the thread , but What about the washer having a terrible odor when I leave it open? It has some slight mold, but why such an odor. How do I get it to not smell so bad

Happy247

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:50 pm
zaq wrote:
First of all, you're supposed to dry the gasket and all its folds after every wash session. Water collects there and the only way to prevent mildew is to DRY IT. Just keeping the door open won't cut it.

Second, if you already have a moldy gasket, rub it down with bleach. Keep wiping with a clean part of the cloth till you no longer see mold coming off on the cloth. Then give another good wipe to make sure it's all dry. In future, see "first of all."

You do that every time???
How often do you wash?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry