Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Interior Designer- price and are you happy you did it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 1:15 am
Can anyone give me a ballpark price for the cost of hiring a designer? Either for a kitchen only job, or full house design.

Does it save money by them finding better deals?

Are you happy you did it? Was it worth it to you?

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:05 am
Following. I dabble in interior decorating unprofessionally and helped several people turn their homes from drab to fab and I plan to begin a professional training program in a couple months, b'ezras Hashem, but I'm curious how much demand there is...

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:39 am
I am quite frugal usually, but the times I could afford it - a good designer is so so worth it!!!

cupcake123

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:51 am
I had a designer come with me to the tile store and kitchen store. Tile store took a while maybe 4 hours? Kitchen store took maybe 2 hours ? She charged $125 an hour
For the tile store it was totally worth it! It's so overwhelming and there are so many options.
For the kitchen I feel like decor wise I could've chosen myself but I'm happy she came bec she helped with things I would not have thought of like adding another garbage and moving the cabinets, taking away cabinets..

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:17 am
I had a fabulous designer when I did a gut remodel (including kitchens and baths) as well as a complete redecoration of interior.

It was total worth it as the end result - both functionally and aesthetically was beyond anything I could have done. It was a collaboration.

The cost was really about the same or less than if I had attempted to do it myself - and that is not even factoring in expensive mistakes and the aggravation of dealing with issues. I mean there are some things that I am glad I didn't have to agonize over like exactly WHERE you place the knobs and pulls. When it came to paint for the walls she presented me with three choices which we swatched on the wall and I chose the one I liked best - which was also her top choice. She would often do that - not tell me which one was her preference and I almost always wound up with her choice.

My designer worked on a percentage of what she paid with the percentage being 15% or 20% depending. If she just bought furniture it was 15% - if she actually designed a piece it was 20%. She had sources for custom wood workers and upholsterers and so the cost to me of items was far less than if I had bought equivalent "retail" from a store with higher quality. Some of the items I ordered were significantly lower even with her markup - for example an end table "retailed for over $1000 and I bought (with her commission) only about $400 - and so on.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I had a fabulous designer when I did a gut remodel (including kitchens and baths) as well as a complete redecoration of interior.

It was total worth it as the end result - both functionally and aesthetically was beyond anything I could have done. It was a collaboration.

The cost was really about the same or less than if I had attempted to do it myself - and that is not even factoring in expensive mistakes and the aggravation of dealing with issues. I mean there are some things that I am glad I didn't have to agonize over like exactly WHERE you place the knobs and pulls. When it came to paint for the walls she presented me with three choices which we swatched on the wall and I chose the one I liked best - which was also her top choice. She would often do that - not tell me which one was her preference and I almost always wound up with her choice.

My designer worked on a percentage of what she paid with the percentage being 15% or 20% depending. If she just bought furniture it was 15% - if she actually designed a piece it was 20%. She had sources for custom wood workers and upholsterers and so the cost to me of items was far less than if I had bought equivalent "retail" from a store with higher quality. Some of the items I ordered were significantly lower even with her markup - for example an end table "retailed for over $1000 and I bought (with her commission) only about $400 - and so on.

If love to get her name.
Would you pm me?

Aurora

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:23 am
Tzutzie wrote:
If love to get her name.
Would you pm me?

Would also love her name please? Please pm?

Bleemee

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:34 am
I’m also looking for someone would love a recommendation.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:37 am
Can you post her name here so we can all benefit?!

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:05 am
cupcake123 wrote:
I had a designer come with me to the tile store and kitchen store. Tile store took a while maybe 4 hours? Kitchen store took maybe 2 hours ? She charged $125 an hour
For the tile store it was totally worth it! It's so overwhelming and there are so many options.
For the kitchen I feel like decor wise I could've chosen myself but I'm happy she came bec she helped with things I would not have thought of like adding another garbage and moving the cabinets, taking away cabinets..

I’d like the name if you can share. Didn’t she have to come to your house as well? Who did the measuring for the tiles?

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:34 pm
cupcake123 wrote:

Can you share the name/number? Does she work in Brooklyn?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:52 pm
Following

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:03 am
Can you please,post her name?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:25 am
Can you please post her name-I'm trying to find someone now.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:34 am
If anyone can recommend someone well worth hiring in Toronto, I'd really appreciate it. Tyia.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics