Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying from a jew/nonjew
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:02 pm
I understand that the halacha says that if the price is more than a 1/3 by the jewish store then I am allowed to buy from a non jew who is selling the same thing for less.
Im confused. How come ive been shopping in costco, walmart, trader joes and target? Why did I never think of this?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:07 pm
Its a beautiful thing to support am yisrael with the money you spend, is it not the highest form of tzedaka?. If you have the money to do it, why not? If you need to pinch pennies, and the difference is big, it's understandable if you don't.

You can take it further, if you cannot afford that way, I still try to spend by small family businesses, non Jewish. The corporations do not need our support.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I understand that the halacha says that if the price is more than a 1/3 by the jewish store then I am allowed to buy from a non jew who is selling the same thing for less.
Im confused. How come ive been shopping in costco, walmart, trader joes and target? Why did I never think of this?

Even less. More than 1/6 above.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:10 pm
Yes, there's a thing that it's better to buy from a Jew if you can. But there isn't a mitzva to spend twice as much doing so.
Often the non jewish stores because they're bigger chain stores, they can be cheaper on prices.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Its a beautiful thing to support am yisrael with the money you spend, is it not the highest form of tzedaka?. If you have the money to do it, why not? If you need to pinch pennies, and the difference is big, it's understandable if you don't.

It's also a beautiful thing for am yisrael's vendors to support the less fortunate among them.
וחי אחיך עמך

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:15 pm
I know it’s beautiful to support fellow yidden. Im simply trying to understand the halacha. Im not wealthy by any means but am not poor.

Is there more to this halacha that I dont know?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:15 pm
amother Mint wrote:
It's also a beautiful thing for am yisrael's vendors to support the less fortunate among them.
וחי אחיך עמך

Many do you know.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:25 pm
Deleted too many identifying details

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:26 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
Interesting because I have a situation now where I went into a local jewish store to choose flooring. The owner spent 30 minutes with me helping me choose and figure out pricing. I then left because I wanted to confirm the color by bringing my cabinet sample.
I told him “I will bring the cabinet tomorrow and confirm color so I will pay then”

Right after I left my friend told me about a different non jewish place thats much cheaper. I went to check it out and found exact same brand and color for more than a 1/3 cheaper. I got the quote for a couple of thousand dollars less and then heard from a few ppl who went there as well and said they are great.
I called a rav who told me that its my words that I said to the jewish owner that may pose a problem plus hashkafically I should probably go back to the jew. But al pi halacha I am allowed to buy it from the non jew. I am so so so so so torn. I do not have that extra money and its alot but I do also believe that hashem gives everyone exact amount of money they are meant to have so I wont lose if I support the jew.
I still didnt decide.

Go back to the Jew and show him the non Jew is selling same exact more much less and ask him to match the price.

If he won’t, then you have a real case for buying from the non Jew.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:32 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Go back to the Jew and show him the non Jew is selling same exact more much less and ask him to match the price.

If he won’t, then you have a real case for buying from the non Jew.

Easier said than done. Imagine you are the store owner. How would you feel?
I cant bring myself to do that.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:36 pm
I’m in the business. Definitely ask the Jewish store if he can match the price. It’s the decent thing to do. He will appreciate the chance for him to do business with you

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:38 pm

I would feel guilty for overcharging

newmommy22

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:40 pm

Would you have picked out that brand and color if the owner hadn't spent the time helping you pick it out. I think you probably used the owners skill and that's why it might be a problem to buy from somewhere else.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know it’s beautiful to support fellow yidden. Im simply trying to understand the halacha. Im not wealthy by any means but am not poor.

Is there more to this halacha that I dont know?

As far as I understand the halacha, if there is a significant price difference, convenience factor, or difference in selection/ value then there is no problem buying from a not Jew. If everything is the same, then it’s preferable to buy from a Jew.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I’m in the business. Definitely ask the Jewish store if he can match the price. It’s the decent thing to do. He will appreciate the chance for him to do business with you

Agree. I think it's best to be upfront. Maybe he can come down on the price somewhat.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:49 pm
There might also be a halachic problem with taking up the owner's time and making it seem like you were planning on buying from him.
You also told him you'll pay tomorrow. IDK, sounds like a shailah to me.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:50 pm
A lot of Jewish stores will price match

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:51 pm
I would ask them to match the price. But I wouldn’t go back and forth a million times. Like if Mr. Frum said $100 and Mr. X said $90 and Mr. Frum said $80 I wouldn’t go to Mr. X again so that I could get a lower price.

SYA

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Mint wrote:
There might also be a halachic problem with taking up the owner's time and making it seem like you were planning on buying from him.
You also told him you'll pay tomorrow. IDK, sounds like a shailah to me.

If you give your word then there is a halachic shayla involved. You took the owner’s time and then gave your word you would return the next day.
You may not have seen that product by the non Jewish store.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's a good question OP but speaking of myself (not others) I just think it's one of those halachos that are forgotten about to me... (Due to many contributing factors) and hope won't be accounted for in the next world..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics