Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Small and affordable NY communities
Previous  1  2  3

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:41 am
amother Orange wrote:
Writing as someone from South Bend who now lives in a big city....I don't know what your kid's needs are. And you've obviously done research about South Bend's services. But you shouldn't think that South Bend is a hick-town, medically speaking at least. And the wait-times are generally less. Look into it carefully before ruling it out.

Also, the cost of housing/insurance/taxes is not the only thing that's less. First of all, there's a LOT less peer pressure, both on yourself and your kids. That reduces unnecessary expenses you might not even know you had. Also, there are very few frum "luxuries" available--no real restaurant, no book store, no bakery, etc. That cuts out a lot of expenses (of course, you have to cook it all yourself!). Also, costs associated with kids' activities are WAY cheaper--like swimming lessons, tutoring, school-sponsored outings. Some of these things are 1/4 the price of a big city.

South Bend is my front runner. It’s not ruled out by any means!! I’m doing my homework and I have a visit scheduled. There are two hospital systems, an excellent public school option for us (according to a couple of mothers I spoke with in a similar situation with their kids) called Marshall Traditional School, and I have a family member there who I’m getting to know more and more as I’ve looked into South Bend. It sounds like everything/almost everything I need and most things I want. There might be times when we need highly specialized medical care in either Indianapolis or Chicago, but it’s also very possible that the Saint Joseph or Beacon systems can handle our needs. (See? I meant it that I’ve been researching this!)

Are you currently in South Bend?

ETA you answered that in your post, sorry! Can I ask why you left?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 1:30 am
amother Thistle wrote:
Buffalo in general is wonderful. It’s called the city of good neighbors for a reason! Housing prices are low and public schools in the northern suburbs like Amherst or Williamsville (where most of the Jewish community lives) are some of the best in the state. However, the frum community (as a subset of the overall Jewish community) is small and not growing. I’m not even sure the community day school still exists. There is a Young Israel, Chabad, and maybe one more MO shul.

It’s a shame Rochester can’t fit your budget because it seems like a good match otherwise.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

The community day school definitely exists. It isn't growing is pretty much correct. The special education services are not good at all, by that I mean not available for anyone but the most disabled. If you need services for mainstream kids with needs like OT, Speech, etc, you will not get anything very good. If you need to have your child in the Public School system for services you may get. But OP, why not move to a place with frum special Ed schools? Like Lakewood? Why go to a tiny frum community with little services in the frum system? Good luck!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 1:36 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
NE Philly prices are definitely way cheaper than Queens. If you send to the more RW school that’s in the northeast, you’ll have low tuition but tuition is very high at the MO school. None of the schools are particularly good about special ed and the public schools there aren’t great. In Bala Cynwyd, you’ll find people who send to the public school for a year so they can qualify for services and then force the school to provide services so it’s equal access. Not sure what those living in NE do but the schools have no built in systems

Politz has Orot, self contained classes with special Ed teachers, which is award winning for Special Needs. Call Mrs. Katz, the principal, and see if the Orot program can service your children. Some may fit there perfectly, which would mean your children can be taught as they need in a frum environment. Rawnhurst is definitely a warm, inexpensive community.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Peach wrote:
Politz has Orot, self contained classes with special Ed teachers, which is award winning for Special Needs. Call Mrs. Katz, the principal, and see if the Orot program can service your children. Some may fit there perfectly, which would mean your children can be taught as they need in a frum environment. Rawnhurst is definitely a warm, inexpensive community.

Politz and Orot are in Rhawnhurst? How much is housing? Tuition? If we end up needing the public schools (because of the kids' needs or because I can't afford tuition), are they decent?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:39 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Politz and Orot are in Rhawnhurst? How much is housing? Tuition? If we end up needing the public schools (because of the kids' needs or because I can't afford tuition), are they decent?

Yes.
I don't know exact numbers on housing, but it is definitely inexpensive, and there are definitely rentals.
Tuition is also inexpensive, and the school will work with you on scholarships, etc.
I don't know about the public schools, but people move to have their special needs kids go to Politz/Orot. Mrs. Katz is special, and she really works with special needs kids.
I would suggest you reach out to her about education (I believe you can find her email and school number on the Politz website), and one other person in Rawnhurst about the housing.
As an aside, Rawnhurst is a warm, supportive community that is very out of town, and you won't be judged for your current struggles. It's a place where you will likely be comfortable to grow at your own pace. And at least some of your kids can have a frum community and hopefully school which meets their needs. I hope everything works out well for you.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:35 am
Twin Rivers NJ can be a back up if southbend doesnt pan out.

It is a small community that is in decline. But hashkafically on the money, with a range that would fit you, from pants wearing/no hair covering to black hat, all in one shul. Great rabbi's and very supportive, and they are trying to bring in young families, so things may have changed.
https://www.cte-twinrivers.org/

Here are Pro's:

- suburban, affordable housing. You can buy a 3 bed townhouse for around 300k, in a beautiful suburban setting, with bicycle paths, pool, library.

- Great medicaid (jersey care) RWJ is a great nearby hospital and jersey care will cover the bigger medical centers in Phialdelphia/Manhattan if the local ones wont cover.

- day school with affordable tuition and financial assistance available
https://www.shalomtorah.org/

- Great specail ed, especially autism. People move fro other parts of Nj to mercer county for the schools. May even be possible to get the county to cover you sending to nearby lakewood specail ed schools (has been done)

- Near lakewood - 25-30 min drive - with all the specials ed and chessed resources there (Special children's Center) and has a wage inflated job market.

Cons:
-Very very small. Your DD will have few, if any friends from her school in the immediate area (STA services a bunch of towns in the area, not just TR). A couple of divorcees's , no vibrant community of divorced women. Small community = limited resources.

-No public transportation.

-High NJ property taxes
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating