Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 5 Year old failed hearing test
Previous  1  2

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:27 pm
Mom of a hearing impaired child here.
There can be fluid for a very long time with no infection, although it usually does lead to infection. Tubes are the biggest bracha, it’s a tiny procedure and works wonders.
The ENT checks ears, nose, throat and may recommend tubes.
The audiologist works with hearing.
You should go to both simultaneously. FYI not always do the best ENTs work with the best audiologists; make sure to do your research and not just choose because they work together. If you post your city people may be able to help with referrals.
An audiologist will do a tympanogram before the test to check if there’s fluid in the ears. The first step is to clear out the fluid. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:29 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Mom of a hearing impaired child here.
There can be fluid for a very long time with no infection, although it usually does lead to infection. Tubes are the biggest bracha, it’s a tiny procedure and works wonders.
The ENT checks ears, nose, throat and may recommend tubes.
The audiologist works with hearing.
You should go to both simultaneously. FYI not always do the best ENTs work with the best audiologists; make sure to do your research and not just choose because they work together. If you post your city people may be able to help with referrals.
An audiologist will do a tympanogram before the test to check if there’s fluid in the ears. The first step is to clear out the fluid. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm located in Upstate New York but I'm willing to travel to a good Dr

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:09 am
My son failed his hearing test twice. The Dr put him on Flonase for 6 months and then he passed it

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:16 am
amother Seashell wrote:
An audiologist specializes in testing hearing. An ENT is a medical doctor who specialize in ears, nose, throat. The audiologist I went to actually works with ENT - which is ideal - because as a team they see what the cause is, how to treat. For example if the audiologist says it's fluid or infection you will need an ENT to treat it. I took my son cause of "noises and uncomfortable feelings in his ears" which was actually diagnosed as tinitus (possibly caused by covid) and both felt that there was no way to treat it medically but did give a few suggestions that might help my son cope with it.

Child with tinitus?! Surprised. Because of Covid?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow how old was ur son? He kept complaining that he hears noises and feels somethings uncomfortable in there?
As a matter of fact my husband also can't handle too much noise. I remember when my son was a baby it was very hard for him when my son would cry in the car etc He would complain that it Mamish makes him lose his focus. I'm so nervous that this shouldn't be some serious issue

13, it's more ringing and discomfort, but very different to not being able to handle noise

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:21 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
My son failed his hearing test twice. The Dr put him on Flonase for 6 months and then he passed it

We were on zertec for the 3 weeks between tests and it helped but not 100% so I didn’t want to keep him on if we had to escalate care anyway

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:24 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Child with tinitus?! Surprised. Because of Covid?

They really didn't know but definitely have seen other kids with it. Started a few weeks before his Bar Mitzva, could've been stress, he was literally going crazy screaming from the discomfort. B"H it's much better now. The Dr said it's tough when kids can't fall asleep at night from it but BH that's not an issue for him.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:53 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I’m going through the same thing with my 2.5yo except we did the test at an audiologist and already failed the second test so now we’re following up with the ENT on Wednesday. My ped said he’s most likely a candidate for tubes because it’s fluid related but I’m hoping there’s another option.

You should do the follow up exam at an audiologist because they’ll be able to more accurately pinpoint what types of issues he’s having. But it’s nothing to freak out about! You went for a hearing test because a professional recommended it based off of a need your son presented and now you have more information to make sure he’s thriving.

Just wanted to follow up and say that we went to the ent today and he’s recommending tubes. It’s not a hard push because he isn’t currently delayed in speech or anything but the fluid is still there from the first test in November so his ears definitely aren’t draining properly. We could potentially keep waiting to see but I’d rather not risk it effecting his development when we already know there’s a problem.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:54 pm
Absolutely do the tubes! It’s a minor procedure that does wonders! A few moms of hearing impaired children in NY offered to speak to you if you’d like referrals. Do you want to set up an anonymous email address so I can send you their numbers?

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 11:11 pm
My son also had fluid for a very very long time with no ear infections. He had slight hearing loss, nothing major but his speech was effected so ent recommended tubes. The fluid ended up randomly clearing on it's own and his hearing went back to normal so we didn't end up doing anything tubes.

Don't panic and wait till you see ent or audiologist. And then take it from there. Tubes can be a big bracha, but why put your child under general anesthesia if it's not absolutely necessary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 9:31 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
My son also had fluid for a very very long time with no ear infections. He had slight hearing loss, nothing major but his speech was effected so ent recommended tubes. The fluid ended up randomly clearing on it's own and his hearing went back to normal so we didn't end up doing anything tubes.

Don't panic and wait till you see ent or audiologist. And then take it from there. Tubes can be a big bracha, but why put your child under general anesthesia if it's not absolutely necessary.

I guess I'll first wait until my sons cold clears completely and then check again. Does it make sense that their machine can give wrong results? I hope so lol

tryinghard

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 10:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! I'm located in Upstate New York but I'm willing to travel to a good Dr

I'm not sure where in Upstate you are, but I'm in Rochester. I have several kids with mild-moderate hearing loss (my oldest was only diagnosed at age 5, you would have never known!). Feel free to PM me if you want recommendations, advice, chizuk or anything.

Just know - if your child DOES have hearing loss - you have a right to grieve. But it's also not the end of the world. Baruch Hashem. When we got the diagnosis, I felt like my world was so drastically changed. At this point though, I wouldn't say "no big deal", but it's honestly nothing really major in our life. If your kid compensates well enough that you don't even know, he will iyH be fine, whether or not he needs hearing aids.
Hatzlacha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics