Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help PKL- Jalapeño Potato Kugel???
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 12:36 pm
Hi everybody, Potato Kugel Lady here. Aka, PKL.

For those of you who aren't in the know, I unofficially make potato kugels for people for Shabbos. Unofficially, because I'm not in the catering business, and don't plan to be, but if someone wants my kugel, I'm happy to oblige.

So I have a certain steady customer. He orders a few kugels from me every couple of weeks.

Today he asked me if I can make a "spicy potato kugel". By spicy, he means adding jalapeño pepper. Now, to me that sounds super strange, but he said he has eaten it elsewhere and he really likes it. Also, his son-in-law really likes it, and he's coming for Shabbos.

I told him I never heard of such a thing, but I'm happy to try if he wants me to. And he said yes, please.

But now I'm thinking I don't even know where to begin.
It seems to me to be a fusion of very different flavors from different cultures.
Anyway, if anyone out there has a clue and can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

naomi2

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 12:45 pm
Sounds delicious! and yes I remember you PLK lol. If I were making this I would add a deseeded jalapeno diced very small to the batter. You can also add 2 or 3 garlic cloves to the onion before you grind it. I've never done it before though.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 12:49 pm
Oooh!! Sounds yummy!
I'm definitely gonna try it, too!
I would roast it with garlic and oil until a little browned, and add it to the kugel batter!

scruffy

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:00 pm
I found a recipe for jalapeno latkes. https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....10373

Based on this, you would process the jalapeno as well as some garlic along with the potatoes and onion.

Sounds really delicious!

scintilla

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:03 pm
So interesting. Would he be ok with extra black pepper or maybe red pepper flakes instead? If not I would do diced as someone said above.

I definitely use jalapenos in my cooking but as you said it does seem like a fusion of cultures. But hey that's a thing now, lots of fusion restaurants around!

Let us know how it comes out!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:04 pm
Thanks all of you! I'll let you know how it comes out..

I see that so many potato kugel recipes online have a filler ingredient like flour, potato starch or matza meal. I don't add any of those to my kugel. I wonder how that changes the flavoring if I add the jalapeño.(in other words, if I should put less of the peppers because there's less flour to absorb the flavor?)

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:06 pm
I would blend some jalapeño together with the potatoes. Sounds delicious! How much depends on the level of spicy ness preferred, and hey we’ve missed you!

Can you start labeling all of your threads PKL so I can search when I need to reread them for a bit of sunshine?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:08 pm
scintilla wrote:
So interesting. Would he be ok with extra black pepper or maybe red pepper flakes instead? If not I would do diced as someone said above.

I definitely use jalapenos in my cooking but as you said it does seem like a fusion of cultures. But hey that's a thing now, lots of fusion restaurants around!

Let us know how it comes out!

When he said spicy, at first I thought he meant I should add more black pepper. But he said specifically he wanted the jalapeño peppers. What

My kugel is a traditional Hungarian potato kugel. So to me this seems really out there.
But I'm willing to try..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
I would blend some jalapeño together with the potatoes. Sounds delicious! How much depends on the level of spicy ness preferred, and hey we’ve missed you!

Can you start labeling all of your threads PKL so I can search when I need to reread them for a bit of sunshine?

Thanks!
I have been around...here and there.
Interesting idea about labeling my threads. I'll think about it. Meanwhile, you can do an advanced search. On many of my threads, I've been "found out" . But there are also a lot of wrong guesses. Laugh

iyar

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks all of you!! I'll let you know how it comes out..

I see that so many potato kugel recipes online have a filler ingredient like flour, potato starch or matza meal. I don't add any of those to my kugel. I wonder how that changes the flavoring if I add the jalapeño.(in other words, if I should put less of the peppers because there's less flour to absorb the flavor?)

I don’t think so. The potatoes themselves are full of starch so that extra bit of flour or matza meal shouldn’t make a difference. Put a small jalapeño pepper in the food processor with your onions and let us know what happens.
You could also cheat and use hot pepper flakes- as much as you dare- maybe a teaspoon? Less? It’s different than that heimish black pepper taste and could work.
PKL you have quite a following! I haven’t had time for this in ages but when I saw you’re here…

scintilla

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
When he said spicy, at first I thought he meant I should add more black pepper. But he said specifically he wanted the jalapeño peppers. What

My kugel is a traditional Hungarian potato kugel. So to me this seems really out there.
But I'm willing to try..

It's very kind of you to try. I'm curious how it will come out!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:34 pm
scintilla wrote:
It's very kind of you to try. I'm curious how it will come out!

Kind? Maybe. I'm a bit of a people-pleaser. I think I mentioned that once or twice in the past. TMI But I also like to try new things when I'm put up for the challenge.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:37 pm
Sounds interesting. I like jalapenos. I'd probably roast it with garlic first and then process together with onions and potatoes. Let us know how you end up doing it and how it comes out!

I definitely clicked this thread cuz I saw you were back!! Hi Wave

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:11 pm
Just make sure to label them for people who don’t like jalapeño.

dena613

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:58 pm
Interesting! Definitely not my taste! Smile

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
I have been around...here and there.
Interesting idea about labeling my threads. I'll think about it. Meanwhile, you can do an advanced search. On many of my threads, I've been "found out" . But there are also a lot of wrong guesses. Laugh

Can you help me with what to search for? I can never remember the thread titles.

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:03 pm
oooh sounds yummy! please share the perfected recipe?

cbg

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:12 pm
There is hot pepper infused olive oil
It’s very spicy
Perhaps they just added 1-2 TBSP of that tithe kugel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:18 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
oooh sounds yummy! please share the perfected recipe?

The challenge is, I don't know what I'm going for. If I had once tasted it and tried to mimic it, it would be another story.

But I'll bli neder keep you posted after I try it out. And hopefully I'll still have some sensation left in my taste buds when I'm done. Whew

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:40 pm
I personally think thin jalapeno slices are cute. So I would consider slicing some jalapenos - and maybe sautee them a little, as other amothers mentioned, to cut the sharpness, then mix them into the batter. (Assuming it will cut the sharpness, but it may not! This is just my theory.)

But grinding the jalapenos, as others mentioned, is surely the better bet for a uniformly spiced kugel.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics