Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys school in bklyn - yeshivish culture but decent secular
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 1:49 pm
Hi,
I am struggling as to figure out where to send my son. Currently we are in bklyn, both my husband and I are professionals but religious wise are definitely much closer to yeshivish than modern. I believe jpf if that term is still used. We don't have tv/ no unfiltered internet, very simple (no brands, nothing flashy). Anyway- although we'd like our child's chinuch to first and foremost revolve around developing a strong connection to Hadshem. We want him to have some skills and secular knowledge to know about different interests and options he can explore if he choses to. Not just going into kollel or chinuch. Although we support that lifestyle as well jut want to give him the understanding and freedom to chose. Can anyone give me ideas. This is for an elementary school right now, but I figure a highschool will follow suit of the elementary.
Thanks!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:04 pm
Torah Vdaas sounds like it might be a good fit

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:18 pm
Anywhere else? We actually met w ytv and the impression we got was that they were very insular and that they strive to be as removed from secular as possible

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:33 pm
What do you mean by they try to be “removed from secular”? There is definitely a strong general studies program , and there are many graduates who attend college .

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:35 pm
Chafetz Chaim

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anywhere else? We actually met w ytv and the impression we got was that they were very insular and that they strive to be as removed from secular as possible

Any yeshivish school strives to be insular and a removed from secular culture as possible.

If you want a good secular education, you will definitely be exposing your children to secular stuff in all areas as well.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Chafetz Chaim

She said simple- no name brands nothing flashy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Broom wrote:
She said simple- no name brands nothing flashy

Indeed. And my understanding is that cc does not fit that bill. Least in bklyn

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is true. They have a good English education but the Hebrew department is extremely insular.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:48 pm
Toras Emes Kaminetz

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:14 pm
Chaim Berlin.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:15 pm
If Torah v'Daas is too insular for you, you're going to be giving up a LOT of the yeshivish culture you're seeking if you move even farther to the left, not to mention the Flatbush gashmius. Torah v'Daas is considered to the left of places like Cheder, Mir, Chaim Berlin. You could check out Torah Temimah, but I don't think you'll be happier there. Do you know any Torah v'Daas parents you could speak to?

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
If Torah v'Daas is too insular for you, you're going to be giving up a LOT of the yeshivish culture you're seeking if you move even farther to the left, not to mention the Flatbush gashmius. Torah v'Daas is considered to the left of places like Cheder, Mir, Chaim Berlin. You could check out Torah Temimah, but I don't think you'll be happier there. Do you know any Torah v'Daas parents you could speak to?

Torah vdaas is absolutely not to the left of Mir and chaim Berlin. Maybe cheder. But the administration is very yeshivish and if op doesn't want to deal with that it's not the place for her. They heavily push tag filters, no videos at all etc...they give minimal vacation too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Chaim Berlin.

Do some of these boys also go to college? My understanding was that more recently the secular studies have diminished? Can anyone verify?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
This is true. They have a good English education but the Hebrew department is extremely insular.

Interesting perhaps we just got a wrong impression because the conversations were with judaic department. The way they spoke to us made it seem like everything secular is basically bad and a threat to torah. Wh,ereas that's just not our Derech. But at the same time a school where families are watching movies/TV, going on beach vacations and not very strict w tznius, is definitely not for us.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do some of these boys also go to college? My understanding was that more recently the secular studies have diminished? Can anyone verify?

If you want your son do go to college, then definitely do NOT send to chaim berlin. I have a few brothers who went there.
The secular education in elementary has improved a bit over the past few years, but the high school is terrible.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting perhaps we just got a wrong impression because the conversations were with judaic department. The way they spoke to us made it seem like everything secular is basically bad and a threat to torah. Wh,ereas that's just not our Derech. But at the same time a school where families are watching movies/TV, going on beach vacations and not very strict w tznius, is definitely not for us.

The secular education in Torah vdaas is excellent in all areas. They do promote filtered internet, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the English education

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
I am struggling as to figure out where to send my son. Currently we are in bklyn, both my husband and I are professionals but religious wise are definitely much closer to yeshivish than modern. I believe jpf if that term is still used. We don't have tv/ no unfiltered internet, very simple (no brands, nothing flashy). Anyway- although we'd like our child's chinuch to first and foremost revolve around developing a strong connection to Hadshem. We want him to have some skills and secular knowledge to know about different interests and options he can explore if he choses to. Not just going into kollel or chinuch. Although we support that lifestyle as well jut want to give him the understanding and freedom to chose. Can anyone give me ideas. This is for an elementary school right now, but I figure a highschool will follow suit of the elementary.
Thanks!

Veretzky
I know professionals who send there and it’s a very nice balance

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:51 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Chafetz Chaim

No way
Most of the student body have tv, they have a very wealthy clientele, and are more modernish

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:51 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Chaim Berlin.

Also yehsivish
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics