Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help PKL- Jalapeño Potato Kugel???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:43 pm
I think I'm going to have to do another taste test like I did with the salt and pepper lukshin kugel... Confused

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:53 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Can you help me with what to search for? I can never remember the thread titles.

I can try. If there is a particular one you remember, I can give you the thread title.

You can also just type in PKL in the advance search option.

Pooh

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:10 am
As someone who uses jalapeños a loooot
I would thinly slice lengthwise and sautee with evoo and garlic to make them bendy. Just baking them in the batter makes me nervous that the consistencies won’t match. (Potatoes soft, peppers crunchy)

This actually sounds delicious and genius. It eliminates having to add jalapeño confit on top of potato kugel which I must do if I wanna enjoy it properly.

If I were to Sephardic-ize this idea I would use spices too. I’m thinking along the lines of hawaij maybe

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:17 am
spicy to me sounds putting enough fresh ground black pepper.
Does it have to be jalapeno?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:58 am
Pooh wrote:
As someone who uses jalapeños a loooot
I would thinly slice lengthwise and sautee with evoo and garlic to make them bendy. Just baking them in the batter makes me nervous that the consistencies won’t match. (Potatoes soft, peppers crunchy)

This actually sounds delicious and genius. It eliminates having to add jalapeño confit on top of potato kugel which I must do if I wanna enjoy it properly.

If I were to Sephardic-ize this idea I would use spices too. I’m thinking along the lines of hawaij maybe

Thank you!
I was thinking about it yesterday, and I actually can't recall ever having cooked with jalapeño before, imagine that!
How much jalapeño would you add to a 9x13 pan of kugel? Would one be enough?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:59 am
amother Pear wrote:
spicy to me sounds putting enough fresh ground black pepper.
Does it have to be jalapeno?

Yeah, that was my first thought too. I asked him if black pepper would work, but he wants jalapeños.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:17 am
naomi2 wrote:
Sounds delicious! and yes I remember you PLK lol. If I were making this I would add a deseeded jalapeno diced very small to the batter. You can also add 2 or 3 garlic cloves to the onion before you grind it. I've never done it before though.

I’d cook the jalapeños before adding to the batter.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:15 am
I blend my onions with the eggs. I’d just add the seeded and deveined green jalapeño to the blender.
Use one and get his reaction. He obviously likes food with a bite.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:20 am
Iymnok wrote:
I blend my onions with the eggs. I’d just add the seeded and deveined green jalapeño to the blender.
Use one and get his reaction. He obviously likes food with a bite.

Raw?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:23 am
So some people think it's best raw and some think its best if it is sautéed a little.
I'll probably try it both ways and give him both.
He has something in mind because he already ate this somewhere else.
Wow. I can't wait to taste it. I might do it today.

(I find jalapeño potato chips too hot for my taste so I'm not sure I'm a good candidate.)

spelt

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:33 am
I once tasted a delicious potato kugel. When I asked for the recipe, the person told me that their secret ingredient was a jalapeno pepper! So go for it!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:40 am
Am I the only pregnant lady on this thread that's literally drooling. Craving. that spicy kick on that mushy bite???
I think I will have to try making one for myself......

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:45 am
amother Lime wrote:
Am I the only pregnant lady on this thread that's literally drooling. Craving. that spicy kick on that mushy bite???
I think I will have to try making one for myself......

YES!!!!
And dh hates spicy and it's going to give me heartburn but sounds so good!!!!

estreya

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:56 am
@PKL - wondering if it would be worth taking your regular recipe and dividing it up, then using some of the suggestions here and your own ideas, obviously, baking and seeing/taste-testing the results to see which is best or to your customer's liking. You could then make the whole kugel from it, instead of wasting a whole recipe if it doesn't work out. Maybe you are already doing this Smile. Maybe use a muffin tin?

Please note that I use jalapenos fairly often and not all of them are always 100% spicy. You'd really need to cut a sliver and check. Sometimes there are super spicy and other times they can be just "meh".

I think the idea of using a chili infused oil, maybe even just to coat the pan before being baked, it a great idea.

Hatzlocha! Interested to hear it it works out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:26 am
estreya wrote:
@PKL - wondering if it would be worth taking your regular recipe and dividing it up, then using some of the suggestions here and your own ideas, obviously, baking and seeing/taste-testing the results to see which is best or to your customer's liking. You could then make the whole kugel from it, instead of wasting a whole recipe if it doesn't work out. Maybe you are already doing this Smile. Maybe use a muffin tin?

Please note that I use jalapenos fairly often and not all of them are always 100% spicy. You'd really need to cut a sliver and check. Sometimes there are super spicy and other times they can be just "meh".

I think the idea of using a chili infused oil, maybe even just to coat the pan before being baked, it a great idea.

Hatzlocha! Interested to hear it it works out.

Wow, thanks for these tips! And yes I'm totally going to do your idea with the muffin tins.
When I was trying to find the perfect salt and pepper kugel recipe for a different customer (actually, now that I think about it - it was the same person!!) I made three different recipes and put them in muffin tins. I wrote about it back then on imamother.

Too bad I was planning to start my diet this week.... Rolling Eyes

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:48 pm
My jalapeno potato kugel is in the oven..... I got a major crave so I went and made it.
Will update you with results.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:43 pm
amother Lime wrote:
My jalapeno potato kugel is in the oven..... I got a major crave so I went and made it.
Will update you with results.

Oohh..exciting!
I'm hoping to make mine later tonight.
Please let me know how you made yours.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:37 pm
Here's my results!!

I made a deep 5X7 pan
6 potatoes
5 eggs
1 1/4 c. oil
1 c water
Salt and pepper to taste

I blended 10+ garlic ( I didn't count) and 2 whole jalapenos with the seeds. I blend the eggs, oil, water, tog with jalapenos and garlic. Blend really well!!
I tasted my batter to make sure its perfect kick.

I baked on 500 for 1 hour and 15 min.

Was yummy and perfect!! Not at all to spicy!!!

For a 9x13 I would double the jalapeno....

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:41 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Here's my results!!

I made a deep 5X7 pan
6 potatoes
5 eggs
1 1/4 c. oil
1 c water
Salt and pepper to taste

I blended 10+ garlic ( I didn't count) and 2 whole jalapenos with the seeds. I blend the eggs, oil, water, tog with jalapenos and garlic. Blend really well!!
I tasted my batter to make sure its perfect kick.

I baked on 500 for 1 hour and 15 min.

Was yummy and perfect!! Not at all to spicy!!!

For a 9x13 I would double the jalapeno....

Is it very garlic-y?
10+ cloves sounds like a ton for that amount of potatoes...

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
Is it very garlic-y?
10+ cloves sounds like a ton for that amount of potatoes...

It's perfect!!!! I guess everybody should adjust to their liking......
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics