Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ds attached to his teddy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:32 pm
Ds, 5, has a teddy bear he got as a baby. He really likes it and sleeps with it every night. The last few months he started pretending his teddy is his baby, and he constantly talks about it.

For example, today I told him I cooked something we never had for supper and I want him to taste it. He started telling me how his baby always eats whatever he cooks for him, and he really likes healthy food. Or, he had a piece of candy, and he said that his baby never has any cavities. It’s like he’s imagining a perfect human in the form of his teddy bear.

Also today we played a card game and he gave his teddy bear some cards, too. He even played some rounds for his “baby” so he wouldn’t be sad.

I wonder if this is just imaginative play a little kid likes, or is this too much for a five year old?

Also, does the perfectionism in his play mean anything? Does it mean he’s constantly worried about being perfect and therefore pretends to have a perfect baby?

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:35 pm
My three year old son does this. I think it’s adorable. He’s a youngest and watches his older siblings care for and nurture him. He loves babies. It never occurred to me to be concerned about it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
My three year old son does this. I think it’s adorable. He’s a youngest and watches his older siblings care for and nurture him. He loves babies. It never occurred to me to be concerned about it.

He’s my oldest so maybe I’m just overthinking it?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:38 pm
Your son has a great imagination.

But does he have an imaginary friend (teddy) because he doesn't have any real friends?

Does DS have siblings who play with him?

Maybe set up some play dates.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:43 pm
It's wonderful. He's using the teddy to express his thoughts. He'll stop when he's ready.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:51 pm
That sounds adorable. DD age 5 has a plush doll like that, we have pictures of her “cutting” the dolls “nails” with a nail clipper when she was under 2. We know she’s talking for the doll when she uses a baby voice

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:53 pm
I guess it’s normal for his age. Should I worry about the fact that his “baby” is always perfect? Does that mean anything?

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:57 pm
So cute — enjoy it! He'll outgrow it when he's ready and it may become a running joke — which is what happened in our family.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess it’s normal for his age. Should I worry about the fact that his “baby” is always perfect? Does that mean anything?

Is your son a perfectionist?

If not, I would not worry about his perfect Teddy.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:05 pm
We all over think with our oldests. We also think they are older then they are. He’s fine. Let him play and express himself.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:34 pm
Maybe the teddy needs therapy lol.
Your son sounds adorable!
If you are concerned you can always discuss it with your pediatrician to hear what's considered to much or till what age appropriate, but honestly he sounds fine.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 10:59 pm
Totally adorable and not worrisome in the slightest.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 11:57 pm
My 5 year old son who is like a mini bochur in his attitude and mannerisms, has a stuffed duck that is his baby and he gets worried when it's alone because it will cry for him. It always makes me chuckle that this little macho "I'm going to be on hatzala" type of boy, fawns over this raggedy duck Smile. He'll grow out of it though.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 5:24 am
My 4 year old DD has a doll named Perela that she officially considers part of our family. Like every night we say good night and list out every family member, Perela is part of it... I think it's very age appropriate and cute!! Shes also my oldest.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:22 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
My 4 year old DD has a doll named Perela that she officially considers part of our family. Like every night we say good night and list out every family member, Perela is part of it... I think it's very age appropriate and cute!! Shes also my oldest.

Haha, we do the same! I’m glad to hear it’s normal.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:32 am
It sounds healthy, normal, and very sweet. He's also getting good parenting practice. I wouldn't stress too much about it. By the time he's Bar Mitzvah, he'll probably be onto other things!

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:28 am
Op, sounds totally age appropriate!
But you could try playfully saying, "Teddy, we love you even if you aren't perfect!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers