Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys school in bklyn - yeshivish culture but decent secular
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 12:41 pm
I don’t know if you’d consider Queens, but Darchei in Far Rockaway has good secular studies. They give Regents diplomas and I believe have a few AP classes as well.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:37 pm
YTV has become increasingly yeshivish and insular over the years. I think the Jewish education is generally very good. They have some excellent rebbeim, some average. However the secular education is barely adequate. If your child is smart and motivated, he will definitely be able to go to college after attending YTV. Maybe not the best college, but it doesn't seem like that would be important to you. If your child is not internally motivated, and later changed his mind, he would probably have quite a tough time.

I must say though, that there are plenty of boys with moose knuckles coats, expensive vacations, and the rest of it. I don't know why people have the impression that it's a non-materialistic crowd that sends to YTV.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:26 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
I don’t know if you’d consider Queens, but Darchei in Far Rockaway has good secular studies. They give Regents diplomas and I believe have a few AP classes as well.

Quite honestly I am starting to.
Would you know the parent body type?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quite honestly I am starting to.
Would you know the parent body type?

Darchei is such a huge school and a huge mix . I believe they have some classes that are more yeshivish some more modern . You'll drive your son from Brooklyn to the five towns every day?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
YTV has become increasingly yeshivish and insular over the years. I think the Jewish education is generally very good. They have some excellent rebbeim, some average. However the secular education is barely adequate. If your child is smart and motivated, he will definitely be able to go to college after attending YTV. Maybe not the best college, but it doesn't seem like that would be important to you. If your child is not internally motivated, and later changed his mind, he would probably have quite a tough time.

I must say though, that there are plenty of boys with moose knuckles coats, expensive vacations, and the rest of it. I don't know why people have the impression that it's a non-materialistic crowd that sends to YTV.

Are you referring to the elementary or high school? Do you have a son currently there?
I do not agree that YTV is becoming increasingly yeshivish. NO yeshivas in Brooklyn are becoming increasingly yeshivish for the simple reason that most yeshivish people have moved out of Flatbush. The yeshivish people still here are generally affiliated with Chaim Berlin or they send to the Cheder or Tiferes Elimelech. Yeshivish people won't even consider YTV.

bumpkin2

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:02 pm
dumb question- what is jpf?

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:39 pm
I wouldn't suggest sending your elementary aged son out of Brooklyn when there are schools in brooklyn who fit your criteria.

justmarried:)

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:39 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
dumb question- what is jpf?

just plain frum
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics