Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old climbing out of crib- help!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:21 pm
My DD is 2 and we took away her paci last week and bedtimes have become a nightmare. For a few days after we took it away she would cry and ask for it but putting her to bed more recently have caused her to yell and cry to the point that nothing calms her down unless we take her out. She is constantly asking to go into our bed and just last night she figured out how to climb out of the crib during the gusto of her tantrums. The crib is on its lowest and I even removed the slats of the crib tonight and brought the mattress down to the floor while it’s still enclosed in the crib and she managed to get out of that too. I don’t think I would’ve been that upset about this if she managed to learn how to get out of the bed just by being curious one day but I’m angry because her intense meltdowns and anger is giving her the courage and strength to get out of bed. She is my oldest child and I really have no other ideas on what to do in the situation. Is it time for a toddler bed and if so how do I manage her continuously coming out of it and staying in her room? How can I get her to calm down during these full blown tantrums (I sit with her through them, I’ve tried telling her she’ll get a reward, I even threaten to leave and have left the room at times but all these things clearly do not help)? Please please help!!!

happy chick

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:24 pm
She's only 2. She may still need the comfort of her paci. You already took it away so I'm not sure what message you'd be sending her by giving it back. My kids have pacis until much later. When they're ready, they'll give it up. No kid gets married with a paci.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:25 pm
Maybe give back the Paci?

Gittu

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:26 pm
I used a wearable blanket. The child can't climb out wearing those.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:26 pm
Just put the paci in her crib and let her "find" it without you officially giving it to her.

gomom123!

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:28 pm
Get a crib tent. They sell them on Amazon and are soooo helpful when a kid needs to be in a crib still.

mp5

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 8:13 pm
Gittu wrote:
I used a wearable blanket. The child can't climb out wearing those.

Wearable blankets are not safe over a certain age, certainly not at the situation described. More likely the child will still try to climb out of the crib, except she will be more likely to fall on her head and potentially seriously injure herself because of the blanket limitations.
A wearable blanket is certainly not the answer in this situation.

When my kids gave up their pacifiers, they were old enough to agree to it and old enough to be comforted in their "big boy/girl bed as part of the process.
If your child is still in a crib and especially as she is having such a hard time, I think you might have done this too early.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:34 pm
2 is old enough to learn discipline for staying in bed normally but the anger is something else. I would try to find something else to give comfort if possible, like a blankie, stuffed animal, books etc. Good luck!

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
2 is old enough to learn discipline for staying in bed normally but the anger is something else. I would try to find something else to give comfort if possible, like a blankie, stuffed animal, books etc. Good luck!

My 2 year old doesn't have more than 5 seconds of self control. I'd give back the paci.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 9:50 pm
gomom123! wrote:
Get a crib tent. They sell them on Amazon and are soooo helpful when a kid needs to be in a crib still.

They were recalled some years back for strangulation hazard. Possible they improved the design but make sure you purchase from a reputable American brand, not some Chinese dangerous product.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
My DD is 2 and we took away her paci last week and bedtimes have become a nightmare. For a few days after we took it away she would cry and ask for it but putting her to bed more recently have caused her to yell and cry to the point that nothing calms her down unless we take her out. She is constantly asking to go into our bed and just last night she figured out how to climb out of the crib during the gusto of her tantrums. The crib is on its lowest and I even removed the slats of the crib tonight and brought the mattress down to the floor while it’s still enclosed in the crib and she managed to get out of that too. I don’t think I would’ve been that upset about this if she managed to learn how to get out of the bed just by being curious one day but I’m angry because her intense meltdowns and anger is giving her the courage and strength to get out of bed. She is my oldest child and I really have no other ideas on what to do in the situation. Is it time for a toddler bed and if so how do I manage her continuously coming out of it and staying in her room? How can I get her to calm down during these full blown tantrums (I sit with her through them, I’ve tried telling her she’ll get a reward, I even threaten to leave and have left the room at times but all these things clearly do not help)? Please please help!!!

Maybe if you say you’ll be right back will help? I don’t think threatening to leave will help, if anything it will make it worse and her more nervous.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 11:35 pm
Yes it's time for a bed. You sit with her until she falls asleep. You stop promising rewards, threatening or walking out and just help her calm down. You can give back the pacifier too or just leave it somewhere for her to find, there is zero chinuch aspect here to "going back on your word". Welcome to toddlerhood, you are going to have to learn techniques to deal with your toddler because all of this is normal.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 11:54 pm
Once they start climbing out the crib, it's safest to move them to a bed. I put a stairgate on the door to my dc's room at that age. It meant they could come out of bed, move around and play in their room but I didn't need to worry about them wandering the house.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:54 am
If she is capable of climbing out and is having tantrums, she is probably safer in a bed with a rail. We used a crib tent from age 15 months to 2 years, but my ds figured out how to escape that as well. We put a gate on his bedroom door. It was rough going for a few weeks and he was really mad that we wouldn't let him out of his room. Eventually he got used to it and slept well. I feel for you, I'm still sad thinking about his crying to be let out of his room and he is nearly an adult. Can you set a routine with bath time and story time about sleeping in a big girl bed. Good luck and hope things settle down.

#ibelieve

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 11:02 am
gomom123! wrote:

second that. I would lose my sanity without it!

jd1212

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 4:52 pm
Once she can escape the crib, you must put her in a toddler bed (ours converted). My 2 YO started opening doors and realized she could come out by herself so we got a door childlock that covers the doorknob so that she can’t open the door. It’s been very effective.

newinbp

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 5:36 pm
If you don't want a toddler bed yet you can put the crib mattress on the floor for the time being. My pediatrician said when the child begins to climb out, it's time to say bye to the crib. Don't risk injury. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics