Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Babysitter fees
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Basically I have interest and I’m trying to figure out what’s appropriate to charge.
I feel like the responses are really hostile. I literally am asking because I didn’t know what going rate as and when I used to babysit in college that was what people would pay. But I see how having my own kids would make people want to pay less. In that case maybe I should look for a different job because I live in a very expensive city and can’t really make it otherwise .

If you live in a uniquely expensive area where everything is inflated than our responses might not be accurate for you since your neighbors will have different expectations than my neighbours.

Librarian

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:47 pm
Simple1 wrote:
You can’t watch two kids because of legal reasons? Is it uncommon in your town to have non legal babysitting in the home. If it is the norm, I’m sure they won’t be after your 2-4 child arrangement which is a good ratio.

In NY it is legal to watch 2 children who are not your own without a license. For 3 children or more for 3 or more hours a day you would need a license.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:50 pm
It's about $20/hour in my area. I think it's likely an appropriate sum.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:53 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:
It's about $20/hour in my area. I think it's likely an appropriate sum.

For a drop off with 3 Children?

I lived in a very expensive city and it was 20- 25 for a nanny in my house, taking my baby out for walks/ library and cleaning up when she was asleep.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:16 pm
There are two ways to run/price a business:
1. This is what I want to do, how much can I make with it
2. This is what I want to make, what do I need to do to get it.

It sounds like you are in the second category, but you've posed your question in the first category. Maybe if you flip it, we can come up with replies that will be less frustrating.

I don't know legalities of these things but would you be able to take extra kids on occasion without needing the daycare certification? There is quite a demand for people who can fill in when one's regular babysitter is sick or on vacation. I also see people charging nice money for gap times when preschool/daycare is closed and the parents still have work - usually on school breaks when you can hire a teenage helper or two and still come out way ahead.

Are there any other ways to bridge the deficit if you can't get 20/hour? Anything dh can do for extra money or anything you can cut out of the budget? Because unless you have some spectacular qualification we don't know about, most jobs won't have you taking home that much if you have to pay for childcare for two babies plus travel plus all the other junk that comes up when you're working (including that emergency sitter when yours is closed or sick... or unpaid time off to watch your own kids those days...)

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I would pay about $10-$12 an hour if I was dropping off my child to someone who was also watching their own 2 kids. If you were going to the person's house, only watching their baby, and cleaning you could charge $20.

You would pay so much for that set up? I thought 8-9 was normal for such a set up.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:54 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
You would pay so much for that set up? I thought 8-9 was normal for such a set up.

This is very location dependent. Where I lived when my kids were that age, 10 was definitely normal. There were some people going cheaper at 8ish but those usually had a whole bunch of kids. This was a fairly high cost of living area but it was about ten years ago when life in general was less expensive than now.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Aconite wrote:

I'm in Brooklyn.
I would pay $10 for a 2 child ratio.
$8-9 for a 3 child ratio depending on age

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I'm in Brooklyn.
I would pay $10 for a 2 child ratio.
$8-9 for a 3 child ratio depending on age

Talking about one toddler and two newborns. Asking because I have personal interest

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:05 am
It really depends on location. I used to charge $10 an hour to babysit. I watched 2 kids at a time. Then I moved to a place where $5 an hour is the norm, so I charged that.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:33 pm
I pay $18/hr for someone to watch my kids in her house with her children. but really depends where you live and what people are willing to pay

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Talking about one toddler and two newborns. Asking because I have personal interest

I wouldn't be comfortable with a 1 toddler 2 newborn ratio for a toddler so I wouldn't do it. At that age I want them to have the peer Interaction. If it was 2 toddlers and 1 newborn I would pay $8-9 for my toddler.

If it was 2 newborns and 1 toddler for my newborn, I would pay $10.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Plum wrote:
I pay $18/hr for someone to watch my kids in her house with her children. but really depends where you live and what people are willing to pay

Your wrote kidS so your paying for multiple children on your end, too

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Your wrote kidS so your paying for multiple children on your end, too

I meant one kid. but this is all about the going rate where you live not where I live

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:53 pm
The only time I paid $20 an hour for a regular babysitter was when my medically fragile son was not allowed to be around other kids and he needed someone who could watch him in our house with all his paraphernalia and learn how to feed him, etc. (and happened to be that we got a respite program that paid part of it).
In general, most college students charge $15-20 per hour but that’s not on a steady basis and only to watch one person’s kids. It’s greedy to expect to be paid as if you are working full time for someone when over half your workload is on your own kids.
Most parents would not go to work rather than pay such expensive childcare.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:27 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I wouldn't be comfortable with a 1 toddler 2 newborn ratio for a toddler so I wouldn't do it. At that age I want them to have the peer Interaction. If it was 2 toddlers and 1 newborn I would pay $8-9 for my toddler.

If it was 2 newborns and 1 toddler for my newborn, I would pay $10.

Thanks! I was asking about watching an extra newborn like in this scenario.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:36 pm
If that's a normal going rate in your area (could be in an area where cost of living is particularly high) and you already have interest at that price point then perhaps it does make sense in your area.
Where I live that would definitely be priced too high for that scenario.
Also maybe just clarify what the expectations are - like is the mother commiting to pay your for full time hours at that price or is it once in a while for a couple hours here and there

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:41 pm
$20 /hour for a frum woman who came to my house and watched my child/children, did some light housework and cooking, took them to the park/ library etc , was there to meet my others kids bus/coming home from school, and was available for their sick days etcsounds more reasonable.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:50 pm
[quote="amother Plum"]I pay $18/hr for someone to watch my kids in her house with her children. but really depends where you live and what people

That sounds right for 2 kids. OP only asking about 1.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:52 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Thanks! I was asking about watching an extra newborn like in this scenario.

Oh understood.
I would definitely pay $10
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics