Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Crock pot recipes for shabbos lunch?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 9:43 am
Anyone have recipes for a hot out-of-the-crockpot shabbos lunch that is not chulent but that still features meat and potatoes?

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 9:53 am
Meat and potatoes stew.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:11 am
Pot Roast. Although traditionally cooked with vegetables (like carrots and celery), can definitely throw some baby potatoes in with it too.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:33 am
In my experience, anything with meat and potatoes in the crockpot for so long just ends up tasting like cholent. If it have success with something, please let us know, but all of my experiments were flops.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:37 am
Onions on the bottom, 2nd cut brisket, bbq sauce, water, whole mini red potatoes.
any other flavors you want to add.
it will not taste to different from chulent since the cooking process gives chulent most of the taste.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:42 am
Anyone know if one is allowed to put these recipes up right before the zman from raw? Or does it need to be 3/4s cooked at the zman?

smores

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:43 am
Yapchik

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:44 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Anyone know if one is allowed to put these recipes up right before the zman from raw? Or does it need to be 3/4s cooked at the zman?

We hold that the meat has to be either totally raw or maachel Ben drusayi which iirc is 1/3 cooked.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:31 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
We hold that the meat has to be either totally raw or maachel Ben drusayi which iirc is 1/3 cooked.
So totally raw is fine?

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:46 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
So totally raw is fine?

My rav says the same (yeshivish)

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:23 pm
We sometimes do soups with meat and potatoes in the crockpot, especially in winter - mushroom barley soup with meat potatoes carrots celery and a few other vegetables vegetable, split pea soup with meat carrots potatoes onions, lentil soup with meat and spices and vegetables (can include small potato cubes).

A tomato based stew with meat, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, and some kind of tomato sauce/juice etc.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:29 pm
I do browned onions, Quinoa, browned meat and sausage/hotdogs. A little rice. Lots spices. It's delish

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:29 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
In my experience, anything with meat and potatoes in the crockpot for so long just ends up tasting like cholent. If it have success with something, please let us know, but all of my experiments were flops.

Not if it’s made with bbq sauce and lots of spices

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:10 pm
amother Quince wrote:
We sometimes do soups with meat and potatoes in the crockpot, especially in winter - mushroom barley soup with meat potatoes carrots celery and a few other vegetables vegetable, split pea soup with meat carrots potatoes onions, lentil soup with meat and spices and vegetables (can include small potato cubes).

A tomato based stew with meat, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, and some kind of tomato sauce/juice etc.

Can you share the mushroom barley soup recipe? I could totally see my husband going for that.

zoom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:22 pm
Yapchik

We went to my sil for shabbos and my kids abs loved it!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:54 pm
amother Quince wrote:

Following the thread just for this mushroom barley soup recipe! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics