Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wwyd- TV at playgroup?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:56 pm
My son is 3. He is in a playgroup with mostly younger, nonverbal kids. My son is quite verbal.
He came home saying that he often watches TV in school.
Firstly, I don't know how he knows the word TV. We don't have a TV at home.
He said Morah has a TV in school and they watch Peppa Pig.
To be honest, I sometimes let him watch Peppa Pig on the computer, so he knows what it is. But I don't send him to playgroup to watch TV.
I am friendly with the morah and don't want to hurt her feelings, but if it's true, I don't think it's right.
Wwyd?

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:57 pm
Can you switch him to an older group?

happy chick

Ask her. Not accusingly, just out of curiosity. It's ok to want to know the schedule/activities of the day.

Last edited by happy chick on Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Razzmatazz

That is not ok!! Not sure where you live but in the tri state area that is not accepted. I would talk to the morah.

#BestBubby

Screen time is bad for kids.

Some mothers feel they need the TV/video babysitter for limited times.

But if you are paying for a babysitter, SHE should be entertaining the kids, and have plenty of
toys for them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:58 pm
I would so not be ok with this! Def say something

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Can you switch him to an older group?

It's very complicated. There aren't any other playgroups in my area. Also, my son has severe allergies and I trust this morah to deal with them, and that's why I didn't send him to an older group.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:01 pm
I guess I am conflicted also because I feel very grateful to her. She is always so good to me. When no one agreed to take my highly allergic kid, she took him.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:02 pm
We have. A tv at home. We don’t have religious or philosophical issues with tv. BUT we allow minimal screen time because it’s bad for their brains. And it’s not how I want my child to Spend
Huge swaths of time. Certainly not what I’d be paying good babysitting money for.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:03 pm
If its true its unacceptable, unrelated to the tri-state area.
It wouldn't be ok on a secular daycare either

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:06 pm
I have a tv and run playgroup. Absolutely not ok to have kids other than your own watch. Even my kids friends don’t watch here

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:08 pm
Can you pls give me the words so I can ask her in a nice, non accusatory way?
I'm really upset about this, but also very scared to hurt her.
I have heard this from my son already a few weeks ago but procrastinated on confronting her.
I have recently needed her help and she was extremely nice about it.
Also, most of the kids in the group do not have TVs at home. At least 5 are in kollel or the like.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:10 pm
I'd clarify the situation first. This might be a thing that has happened only this week because of some sort of particular rare circumstance, but because it happened a couple or few days this week, your child's mind translates it to "regularly."

Realistically, if it's happening regularly, and you have no leverage, you might need to let it be for the rest of this year, until you presumabley do school for the coming year.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:11 pm
Hey my son told me two different times that he watches peppa pig by morah. Do you know what he’s talking about?
That’s how I would say it

Maybe it’s a book and he’s remembering watching at home.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:16 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Hey my son told me two different times that he watches peppa pig by morah. Do you know what he’s talking about?
That’s how I would say it

Maybe it’s a book and he’s remembering watching at home.

That's what I wanted to believe but he has been saying the same story consistently. He is super smart and knows exactly what's going on.
I'm tempted to call another mother who has a kid in the class. I know her daughter is also verbal. But I don't want to cause controversy.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's what I wanted to believe but he has been saying the same story consistently. He is super smart and knows exactly what's going on.
I'm tempted to call another mother who has a kid in the class. I know her daughter is also verbal. But I don't want to cause controversy.

No don’t go talking about the morah. That’s LH. Speak to morah. That’s it. Don’t work yourself up to have a simple conversation about your child

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you pls give me the words so I can ask her in a nice, non accusatory way?
I'm really upset about this, but also very scared to hurt her.
I have heard this from my son already a few weeks ago but procrastinated on confronting her.
I have recently needed her help and she was extremely nice about it.
Also, most of the kids in the group do not have TVs at home. At least 5 are in kollel or the like.

You are such a good babysitter.

My son really enjoys coming here.

My son mentioned that he watched Peppa Pig by you.

I limit / don't allow screen time, so I would appreciate if there would be no screen time here.

Thank you!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:31 pm
It depends. If it's on all day and the children are doing nothing but watching TV, I'd have a problem with that. But if it's a little treat for 15 mins of the day, in which the kids are doing tons of other things other than watching TV, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only thing you can do is ask the morah. Not in an accusatory tone, but just inquiring.

I absolutely loathe Peppa Pig though lol.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
It depends. If it's on all day and the children are doing nothing but watching TV, I'd have a problem with that. But if it's a little treat for 15 mins of the day, in which the kids are doing tons of other things other than watching TV, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only thing you can do is ask the morah. Not in an accusatory tone, but just inquiring.

I absolutely loathe Peppa Pig though lol.

I assume it's just for a bit once in a while, because I often come late and I have never seen a TV.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I assume it's just for a bit once in a while, because I often come late and I have never seen a TV.

Honestly, if it's only a little once in a while I wouldn't make a big deal about it .it may have been a last resort type of thing and don't kids at that age they don't fully understand the concept of time and maybe he's exaggerating or remembering things different?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics