Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help PKL- Jalapeño Potato Kugel???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:54 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
That doesn’t sound right…if you are trying again put in much less garlic and a bit more jalapeño. I would also add more salt and pepper because then no matter what happens it won’t be bland.

Right.
The kugels weren't bland, at all. They were very garlicky. One of them- the one with the raw jalapeños- did have a bit of a zing (in my opinion), but to other people, it was not identifiable as jalapeños. And the customer said he couldn't taste them at all.

But I'll try less garlic and more jalapeño, with the seeds.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:09 pm
Ok, so here is the final verdict: In short -stick to the original!

In my daughter's words: I mean, it's good! Especially when you're very hungry. But I don't think it adds anything...

My husband did not like it.

I made two versions today. Same ingredients, slightly different process. I used the whole pepper, and less garlic. You could definitely taste the bite. But it was meh.. I would eat it if there was nothing else, but I prefer kugel without the pepper.

This was good for my diet, because I had much less kugel today than usual. Very Happy

I do think the sauteed version from yesterday was nice, but it didn't have the "kick" I was expecting. In total, between yesterday and today, I tried 4 different versions.

The customer who asked for this came to pick up 3 kugels today. 2 regular and 1 jalapeño. (I also gave him a small pan of the second version of jalapeño kugel.)

His response:
"My family said that you can tell the difference but stick to the regular it's delicious and everyone loves it."

(I asked him, for curiosity sake, about the kugel he had tasted elsewhere, if he knows if they used raw or sauteed jalapeños. He said he will bring me a piece on Sunday. )

So this is the end of my foray into the world of Jalapeño potato kugel. I'm not sorry I tried it. But now that I did, it's not something I would make again.

Thanks for all your help and for coming along with me on this quest. Until next time...
#adventuresinthekitchenwithPKL

Good shabbos to all!

scintilla

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:19 pm
Love the hashtag!! Good Shabbos! And now I'm so in the mood of kugel and didn't make any...oh well there's always next week Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:20 pm
scintilla wrote:
Love the hashtag!! Good Shabbos! And now I'm so in the mood of kugel and didn't make any...oh well there's always next week Very Happy

You can come get from me. I have a few pans that no one is eating. But they have jalapeño in them...

scintilla

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:21 pm
Haha! I totally would, but I live in Crown Heights and I'm pretty sure you don't Wink

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:23 pm
PKl- do you make your own kugels for your simcha or do you have everything catered?

Shopmiami49

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
Question:.did you leave in the veins and seeds from the jalapeños?

It seems that 2 jalapeños are not enough. I used 4 per kugel (without seeds and most of the veins removed) and you could barely taste the jalapeño.

I'm surprised you couldn't taste the garlic. My 10 cloves felt very overpowering. I don't mind a subtle garlic flavor, but not too strong.

But I'm not done yet. Gonna try again today.

Yes, I used the entire pepper. But my 9x13 was filled to the top (12 medium potatoes, 2 onions, 6 eggs). This afternoon when the kugel was warmed (not super hot) the kick was definitely stronger. But still no garlic taste Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:11 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Yes, I used the entire pepper. But my 9x13 was filled to the top (12 medium potatoes, 2 onions, 6 eggs). This afternoon when the kugel was warmed (not super hot) the kick was definitely stronger. But still no garlic taste Sad

I also found that the kick was stronger when warmed again today. If you like a stronger garlic taste, put more garlic.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:12 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
PKl- do you make your own kugels for your simcha or do you have everything catered?

It depends.
When I do a simcha in the house, I cook everything at home.
When we do it in a hall or shul, we have it catered.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:35 pm
Just a little update. It's kind of funny, I think.

The customer of the infamous jalapeño potato kugel came by today to bring me a check, and also a piece of the kugel that inspired the request.
The kugel came from an eatery in a neighboring city.

We got to talking and he said he couldn't taste the jalapeño at all in my kugels and assumed that I used powder. I said that I actually used the entire pepper. 4 of them per pan. He said he couldnt taste it. He also said that he didn't see any red pieces. Confused
Scratching Head

I told him that jalapeños are green, and in response he showed me that the kugel he brought with him had red pieces.

Ok.
So yeah...this was all one big mistake.
Anyway. I did taste the kugel.
I'm not the biggest expert, but my guess is that they used red pepper flakes, and maybe extra black pepper. It was definitly spicy. Otherwise, it tasted like a typical catered potato kugel.

It reminded me a bit of the flavor they use in those hot potato chips that the kids love to eat. The ones that make their faces and hands so red that it doesn't come off even after you wipe it with baby wipes.

Before he left, he asked me to make him another kugel for tomorrow and asked if I can make it spicy...then he changed his mind and said just keep it regular. Whew

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:25 pm
Interesting.
I haven't posted on this thread yet, since I read everything only after the whole story took place, but my first thought was that you should use red pepper flakes.
To my knowledge jalapeño peppers won't be hot after cooking as much, to get real heat chili peppers or cayenne or red pepper flakes would be the way to go.

Sorry I wasn't here at the time you needed this advice Wink

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:29 pm
Love the update, that made me laugh out loud LOL
Props to you for trying!

NechaMom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:30 pm
That’s really funny.
I was picturing a green kugel when I read your title and he wanted red flakes all along. You could’ve made it much easier with just some crushed pepper and black pepper added to your regular recipe. (Or did he mean red hot peppers?)
You get lots of points for trying to please him and your endless patience!

Last edited by NechaMom on Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Interesting.
I haven't posted on this thread yet, since I read everything only after the whole story took place, but my first thought was that you should use red pepper flakes.
To my knowledge jalapeño peppers won't be hot after cooking as much, to get real heat chili peppers or cayenne or red pepper flakes would be the way to go.

Sorry I wasn't here at the time you needed this advice Wink

Thanks!
I think someone did mention it. But the customer specifically said jalapeño, so I thought he knew what he was talking about. Can't Believe It

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:32 pm
Did they use hot sauce?
(That's the red-finger-lickin chips Smile)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:37 pm
NechaMom wrote:
That’s really funny.
I was picturing a green kugel when I read your title and he wanted red flakes all along. You could’ve made it much easier with just some crushed pepper and black pepper added to your regular recipe. (Or did he mean red hot peppers?)

Mind you. When I processed the jalapeño with the eggs, it ended up with a greenish tinge to it. And it did not look very appetizing, to say the least.
Now I know why Sam I Am didn’t want to eat green eggs and ham. (Or was it the other guy?)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:38 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Did they use hot sauce?
(That's the red-finger-lickin chips Smile)

I don't know but I think it was just pieces. If they used sauce, it would have tinged the whole kugel no? The kugel itself had a regular color.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:43 pm
It could be that they used the red chili peppers...

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:44 pm
Was just looking online because you got me curious about spicy kugel- saw a recipe that called for a tsp of Aleppo pepper (I think that’s like crushed spicy red pepper flakes) and a tbsp of zatar. Also used 1 tbsp of black pepper.. sounds pretty sharp
No, I will not be trying because I love my potato kugel just the way it is 😛…
Can you call the store that makes the kugel he wants and ask what they use to make it sharp? If you’re still curious..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:44 pm
NechaMom wrote:
That’s really funny.

They possibly use a bit of chili peppers or Cayenne peppers, I'm not really sure. Or maybe it's just the red pepper flakes straight out of the spice bottle.
He also said that there's a small red pepper he buys to make herring. At that point the conversation was getting too sophisticated for me. All I know is how to make a regular Hungarian potato kugel. What
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics