Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this a normal grocery amount?!
Previous  1  2

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:26 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
I'm curious to see the breakdown of your grocery list.

It's not the same every week, because if chicken goes on sale, let's say, I'll buy a case. If yogurt goes on sale, I buy enough for a few weeks. When I run out of something, I buy a bunch more so I don't have to remember to buy again soon.
But it always comes out to about $650, rarely goes over that unless it's yomtov or I'm having lots of guests.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 11:21 am
Thank you all for the reality checks!

I disagree with whoever said that it doesn't depend on the norms but on what I'm willing to spend. The facts of life are what they are, if I decide to make my budget $200 but the market does not provide enough food to nourish 6 people on that, then my wanting to spend less isn't going to help.

Forgot to mention all the kids get lunch provided by school, don't know how much that changes the equation.

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 11:23 am
You all make me feel so much better!
We're at $200 a week for a family of 4 (including one with specialty food because if allergies) plus an extra $400 once a month when we stock up on meat and dairy "in town"

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:52 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
It's not the same every week, because if chicken goes on sale, let's say, I'll buy a case. If yogurt goes on sale, I buy enough for a few weeks. When I run out of something, I buy a bunch more so I don't have to remember to buy again soon.
But it always comes out to about $650, rarely goes over that unless it's yomtov or I'm having lots of guests.

I hear you. I guess I was wondering if your buying the same food as me just in bigger quantities but from what you wrote here seems like you are. I buy enough yogurts for the week and enough chicken just for the week (usually)

exhausted

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:57 pm
I think it's a very fair amount. It would probably be a good idea for you to do the shopping for a week or 2 and see how much prices have gone up. It's scary!!!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:42 pm
Family of 2 adults
2 toddlers who hardly eat
Give or take $500 week
And honestly my fridge is never ry fully stocked.. and I am very careful with what I buy
I dont know where we are going wrong

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:29 pm
we are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids and my groceries are approximately $300 a week. that excludes fish and meat, which we buy separately. I feel like it's a LOT but don't see where I can cut. Does it make sense?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics