Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
So frustrated with HSBC services Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:01 am
I signed my son up because he has ADHD and he is very far behind in learning.
It has been several months with them not getting me anyone.
Yes my son is able to take music lessons and martial arts which I wouldn’t of been able to afford so that is nice but I really need a tutor and they can’t find anyone for respite and com hab.
They found a tutor who told me that he would only learn with my son an hour a day but bill for longer.
Im just so frustrated.
My son is not in school because the school doesn’t want him there.
I am at my wits end I don’t know where to turn and where to put him until next year when hopefully he will get into a high school which we are looking for.
Any experienced person that could guide me?
I can’t work because I am busy with my son. I don’t want him wandering around town all day but he has nothing to do all day.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:07 am
Change your subject to need direction for adhd son out of school Monsey

Do your own networking to find someone to work with him and then send to agency to pay him

Under what circumstances will his current school take him back?

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:11 am
I'm in a similar situation!!! Want support? Email me at btdt.hug@gmail.com

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:31 am
It's so so crazy! This whole HCBS is one big scam. People that don't really need it, sign up because they want free services and then the children that really do need it, don't get the services they need because people that don't really need the services, are taking up the slots. It's so frustrating. This whole services situation became one big scam.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:39 am
Monsey is not set up for kids with special needs. It’s so frustrating. Can you get him to do any type of home schooling even if it’s not his own grade level?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 7:55 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
It's so so crazy! This whole HCBS is one big scam. People that don't really need it, sign up because they want free services and then the children that really do need it, don't get the services they need because people that don't really need the services, are taking up the slots. It's so frustrating. This whole services situation became one big scam.

It's not a scam. People really need the help. And
They tell you when you sign up you no one wants to work anymore. And when and if you do find someone they want more money. So they say let them work for one hour and bill for more. That part is a scam. But what can you do?

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 9:34 am
amother Pewter wrote:
Monsey is not set up for kids with special needs. It’s so frustrating. Can you get him to do any type of home schooling even if it’s not his own grade level?

Exactly this!!! It’s sad though

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:00 am
the agency can't pull people out of a hat
if you're using your services that pay more than comhab and respite for music and martial arts dont complain that a tutor wont come for 18 an hour on the books

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:23 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
It's not a scam. People really need the help. And
They tell you when you sign up you no one wants to work anymore. And when and if you do find someone they want more money. So they say let them work for one hour and bill for more. That part is a scam. But what can you do?

The scam part is that so many people lie and sign up because they want free services and then they don't have slots for kids that really do need services.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:37 am
amother Pewter wrote:

Oh please!! I moved to monsey for services. Place your own ads if there's difficulty hiring.

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:40 am
amother Indigo wrote:
Oh please!! I moved to monsey for services. Place your own ads if there's difficulty hiring.

Brooklyn is the best place for services.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:42 am
amother Indigo wrote:

Who told you to move to monsey for services? What kind of services? Dance lessons for a basically regular kid? Do you know they have almost no schools for special needs kids, and definitely none for high functioning special needs kids.

yachnabobba

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 8:32 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

I’m offended. I’m glad it’s working for you but I’m getting nothing near what I need from OPWDD and don’t get me started in school

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:03 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
I’m offended. I’m glad it’s working for you but I’m getting nothing near what I need from OPWDD and don’t get me started in school

Did you look into self direction?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:08 pm
you dont get 'more money' with self-direction

and I repeat

If you will use your top services for secondary activities you will have nothing left for the more important things

No tutor who know his stuff is taking your 18 respite or comhab pay -sorry

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:20 pm
[quote="amother Chocolate"]you dont get 'more money' with self-direction

and I repeat

If you will use your top services for secondary activities you will have nothing left for the more important things

No tutor who know his stuff is taking your 18 respite or comhab pay -sorry[/quote
If you want the after school programs and Sunday programs, the shabbatons, and the chol hamoed activities then self direction is not for you. However if you want your kid to take any type of community classes like music art swimming then self direction is definitely the way to go.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:56 pm
So why don’t you put in ads and find your own workers?!

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:13 am
I didn't think self direction was for hcbs services, only for OPWDD services.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:17 am
amother Cherry wrote:
I didn't think self direction was for hcbs services, only for OPWDD services.

It's only for opwdd. I know someone that when she applied l. She was told no one will work for $21 an hour. So if you find someone to work with your child tell them to billcextr hours. Also caregiver support and cats will pay $35 and of someone has a BA then $45 an hour which is not bad.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:34 am
Hcbs pays more than opwdd
Self direction is not for everybody but then you can pay more for your worker but it comes out if your budget so then you’re left with less for shabbaton and camp
Why don’t you try to put in ads and ask around to find your own hcbs or opwdd workers?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)