Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Six year old leaking number one and two daily
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:01 pm
Also, because my son was older (8 1/2) by the time I figured this out, we actually read the Steve Hodge book together and my son was very excited to get the nightly enemas and solve the problem once and for all. So I had him totally on board, which helped a ton. During the earlier years when I did miralax, exlax, and even FloMax, it was more of an “us versus him” mentality. Then with the enemas he was happy and eager. In the beginning I let him do screen time or read a book when he sat on the toilet after getting the enema. Then after a little while it was just part of the nighttime routine like brushing teeth or washing his face. He even was happy for me to be involved (obviously an adult needs to give the enema) and we called it our nightly date. Anyway it’s such a relief to know that he can go to school and shul and playdates and not come home smelly.

Lotti

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:32 pm
I can’t believe no one mentioned Senna! It was amazing. I gave it to my son for 2 weeks in morning before he went to school. He came home at 3. Senna causes the body to have a bowel movement 6-8hrs later. So my son knew it was coming and psychologically was ready to have a bowel movement. We prepared books for him to take with him to the bathroom. After a two week period I continued to give him miralax daily. It was a big success. He knew that it was important for him to go to prevent leakage. I also showed him a fantastic video on encopresis on you tube. It explained it perfectly for his age (6yrs)

amother
Hyssop

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:49 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Fleet pedialax enemas 2.25 oz. I bought them in bulk on Amazon, it’s much cheaper that way than in drugstores.

thank you.
Did you have a doctor on board to do this long term or just did on your own?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:50 pm
Lotti wrote:
I can’t believe no one mentioned Senna! It was amazing. I gave it to my son for 2 weeks in morning before he went to school. He came home at 3. Senna causes the body to have a bowel movement 6-8hrs later. So my son knew it was coming and psychologically was ready to have a bowel movement. We prepared books for him to take with him to the bathroom. After a two week period I continued to give him miralax daily. It was a big success. He knew that it was important for him to go to prevent leakage. I also showed him a fantastic video on encopresis on you tube. It explained it perfectly for his age (6yrs)

can you link the video?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:21 am
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am going to find a new GI to go to and tell him
I really want to try to “clean her out” and hopefully he will give me the clear instructions that I am looking for and hopefully we can be done with this for once
And for all!!!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:36 pm
My son had no symptoms other than suddenly having #2 accidents at age 5. Turns out it was a strep infection. Something to look into. If not, maybe see a neurologist.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:11 pm
The doctors seem to think that enemas are traumatic for kids. They were not at all traumatic for my son and solved his problem once and for all. He didn’t like miralax or exlax. I think that senna is the same as exlax. You have to see what works for you. But the basic idea is that if you keep the rectum really empty, then the bladder will also get back to normal and be able to hold urine nicely.

Lotti

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:23 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
can you link the video?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:35 pm
Lotti wrote:

thank you! this is fabulous! wondering what age this is appropriate for... I'm wondering if my 5 year old is to young for this ...

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:49 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
thank you! this is fabulous! wondering what age this is appropriate for... I'm wondering if my 5 year old is to young for this ...

I watched it with my 4 year old when he was diagnosed. Game changer for both of us.

I even sent it to his teachers. They were a little weirded out but stopped going nutso when he had an accident.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:50 pm
Lotti wrote:

Yup! Exlax (chocolate senna squares). Game changer for us.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:57 pm
ty

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:10 pm
https://www.choc.org/programs-.....alax/

Here is a recommended cleanout.
But, you most definitely also need a GI. Idk where you are located, If you happen to be in cleveland I can give you the best. But otherwise there are some great encopresis Facebook groups and people there can advise good practitioners.

Most I learned from the groups. Then I went in very knowledgeable sometimes even suggesting things to GI, but mostly it was a partnership. And I kept learning throughout the year. But you need to educate yourself also.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics