Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wwyd- TV at playgroup?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Firethorn

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
My kids watch tv and I’m not ok with peppa pig at all!! But that is the least of the issues here.

What’s wrong with peppa pig?

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:

What not
The whining
The chutzpah
The bad middos

amother
Firethorn

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
What not
The whining
The chutzpah
The bad middos

What shows are you ok with?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 7:31 pm
My son goes to a very frum/yeshivish yeshiva. He’s in elementary school. He told me that at the end of the week his rebbe plays some videos for them as a reward. Honestly, I’m pretty shocked at some of the topics. At first it was animals and nature but now he’s coming home telling me about magicians and magic and many other topics. He actually cried when he got picked up from school early one day because he was going to miss the videos. He also told me that he knows his Rebbi has YouTube because he can see that the video clips are copied off of YouTube. We used to allow supervised YouTube but recently we have it completely blocked (which is how my son is familiar). It’s really shocking that the yeshiva allows the Rebbi to show this on a regular basis. It’s probably nothing bad but it definitely has nothing to do with limudei kodesh and it just makes the boys want to watch more and more and ask for it when they’re home too.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 8:25 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
My son goes to a very frum/yeshivish yeshiva. He’s in elementary school. He told me that at the end of the week his rebbe plays some videos for them as a reward. Honestly, I pretty shocked at some of the topics. At first it was animals and nature but now he’s coming home telling me about magicians and magic and many other topics. He actually cried when he got picked up from school early one day because he was going to miss the videos. He also told me that he knows his Rebbi has YouTube because he can see that the video clips are copied off of YouTube. We used to allow supervised YouTube but recently we have it completely blocked which is how my son is familiar. It’s really shocking that the yeshiva allows the Rebbi to show this on a regular basis. It’s probably nothing bad but it definitely has nothing to do with limudei kodesh and it just makes the boys want to watch more and more and ask for it when they’re home too.

You should say something to the rebbe. I imagine he didn't mean for it to go this far.

I had a situation with my daughter in a BY high-school.
Her social studios teacher (an elderly gentelman) used to show his lessons on a projector.
I guess at some point, he started showing them some funny clips at the end of class..
I remember my daughter telling me about watching a horror prank. Something like people going into an elevator and the lights suddenly going dark. I don't remember the details but there is a whole genre of pranks where it's meant to scare the daylights out of the victims before they reveal that its just a prank.
Anyway, so he was showing the girls these horror pranks clips, and my daughter was having nightmares from them.
I was really, really upset.
Since I was a teacher in the same school, I confronted him nicely..he apologized and said he didn't realize.
He was a sweet, elderly gentleman and I would like to think that it started off as a harmless thing, showing them something useful perhaps, and it morphed into showing them inappropriate Prank movies.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:39 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
The op herself said that he is the only one that's verbal and is 3, so it's obvious he is in the wrong age group. Op decided that it's better for him to be in this group for other reasons. The morah should have double checked with the parent first, but alot of times if it's someone that you are close with you may think you know their standards and think they'll be fine with watching...

This has nothing to do with standards. You get paid to watch kids. Not to put them in front of screens so you can chill.

That's all.

amother
Melon

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a 5 year old son who went to this morah as well when he was little.
The last 2 years he has been in a regular school. But It has happened on some occasions, if he didn't have school, and the morah did have playgroup, that I would send him to the group to be a "helper".

On shabbos he told me that the morah lets them watch every day. He said he has watched Fireman Sam and Curious George there. He also described to me exactly where the TV is kept.

These videos are at least 20min. each is she showing both. That’s minimum 40min screen time daily.????? Banging head

I would let the Morah know that it has come to your attention (she’ll know that your 5 yr old told you) that the kids are watching and you like to limit it to what they watch at home with your approval

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:51 pm
I wouldn't be okay with this, at all. I don't do any screentime with my 2 year old- besides the occasional music video. If anyone tasked with watching her did this, I would definitely have an issue with it.
And we watch at home, but our kids don't. The downsides of screentime for little kids especially are insane.

myname1

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:22 am
Idk you're in a really hard place. You ask this babysitter of toddlers to take your 3 yo daily and your 5 yo once in a while. And she does it pleasantly. It would be difficult to find a better place for them. I agree she is wrong and even in secular day cares they don't watch TV. But I don't think I'd say anything if I were you. She is doing you a huge favor and taking care of a 3 and 5 yo with a house full of toddlers. And it would probably make her really uncomfortable taking your 5yo again. So I don't see what you'd gain by bringing it up.

Golde

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:48 am
At pickup, with a smile on your face and in s non confrontational tone:
"Hi, it looks like you all had such a great time today. It's so nice that Shlomi always is so happy when I pick him up. He really enjoys himself here, I can tell. Btw Shlomi has mentioned watching TV and Peppa Pig. He loves Peppa Pig! Can you tell me a bit more about that?"
And then take it from there

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:11 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
My son goes to a very frum/yeshivish yeshiva. He’s in elementary school. He told me that at the end of the week his rebbe plays some videos for them as a reward. Honestly, I’m pretty shocked at some of the topics. At first it was animals and nature but now he’s coming home telling me about magicians and magic and many other topics. He actually cried when he got picked up from school early one day because he was going to miss the videos. He also told me that he knows his Rebbi has YouTube because he can see that the video clips are copied off of YouTube. We used to allow supervised YouTube but recently we have it completely blocked (which is how my son is familiar). It’s really shocking that the yeshiva allows the Rebbi to show this on a regular basis. It’s probably nothing bad but it definitely has nothing to do with limudei kodesh and it just makes the boys want to watch more and more and ask for it when they’re home too.

I would really doubt the school allows this. I would call the Rebbi and tell him that your child has told you that that he is showing them videos and tell him you find this surprising and you don't want this to continue. If he continues then you need to tell the school principal. This was happening in my child's school also - the problem was confounded by the fact that the principal did allow it - but the parents were united in their disapproval and had it stopped.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:12 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

My kids do watch Peppa pig but I agree its not as ok as I thought it was.

Theres a lot of answering back and general 'friendship' with the parents and not enough respect.

There is nothing actually inappropriate though.

Its a shame because it really is so kid friendly.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:49 am
If you say something to her (no matter how you say it) she probably won’t be too happy to continue watching your kids. You are right but the fact is that she is wrong and she will feel very uncomfortable about it and probably get defensive and annoyed with you and your kids.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:02 am
The thing with my 5 year old...he doesn't go regularly. I brought him up because he went as a little kid, and he has gone two or three times this year. He is a second "witness". I do pay for him when he goes, so it'd not just a favor, though I do appreciate it.

But regardless, ,the issue is my relationship with the morah. It's not just a business relationship. We are in a smallish community and we have a relationship outside of this playgroup.
I don't know, maybe she won't take it badly. But I'm not sure, and I don't know if I should risk it.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:32 am
amother OP wrote:
The thing with my 5 year old...he doesn't go regularly. I brought him up because he went as a little kid, and he has gone two or three times this year. He is a second "witness". I do pay for him when he goes, so it'd not just a favor, though I do appreciate it.

But regardless, ,the issue is my relationship with the morah. It's not just a business relationship. We are in a smallish community and we have a relationship outside of this playgroup.
I don't know, maybe she won't take it badly. But I'm not sure, and I don't know if I should risk it.

It still is a favor even if you pay for it.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:37 am
amother OP wrote:

I doubt she will stop because you said something. You need to decide if you want to pull your kids out or not.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:45 am
if it's one of these situations where it's one teacher with a lot of kids the tv may be her way to keep things safe. not saying it's ideal but I think it's more ideal than one person watching 12 kids without having a way to distract the kids when she needs to focus on one kid having an accident etc

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:59 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I doubt she will stop because you said something. You need to decide if you want to pull your kids out or not.

Not true. I hosted some of my kid's friend and mother told me before "we're makpid that kids don't watch any video" and I made sure they didn't!!(occasional event in my house in any case!)
If OP ask respectfully, I don't see why morah would keep on doing it.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:51 am
In my sons Gan (2-3 year olds) they watch for about half an hour a day. At first I was really upset about it and it’s still frustrating but the teacher explained that she needs to clean up and this half hour of the kids watching is the only way. Besides for that it’s a really great Gan and a great Morah so I’m okay with it. At home we have no TV and no screen time.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics