Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Moose Knuckles clothing- Obscene?
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

essie14

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:16 am
amother Crystal wrote:
This reminds me of the time Mishpacha published a small piece supposedly written by an older single guy (I'm pretty sure it was written by a staff member, not an actual single guy) which used the term "putting another notch in my bedpost" when talking his dating life.
I know that's not exactly modern slang but you'd think they'd know not to use that term to describe shidduch dating esp from the pov of a man.

🙈🙈🙈🙈
NOT OK!!!!!
And for all of you who are going to ask why, it means how many people you've slept with.
Not dates, s-xual encounters.
This has been used since the 50s. It's not some new term.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:02 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
I have the same question! Not implying anything, I just really wonder (for real) how everyone got this education.

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:22 am
amother Crystal wrote:
1. Plenty of BTs who grew up outside the frum world
2. Pple who grew up in areas where they did not live solely among frum neighbors
2. readers who don't only stick to Jewish books or newspapers
3. Pple who interact regularly within the secular world whether through jobs, schooling, or businesses that don't only service frum customers
4. Pple who are less insular and are ok with secular media to various degrees

Thank you for your reply. I'll assume 1 is the most likely answer. Because 2,3,4 apply to me and many others who don't know these words. My business services many non Jews and yes I've heard some use unrefined and foul language but never vulgar language. But I'm going to guess there's another answer - people who watch and read R and X rated material.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:27 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I'll assume 1 is the most likely answer. Because 2,3,4 apply to me and many others who don't know these words. My business services many non Jews and yes I've heard some use unrefined and foul language but never vulgar language. But I'm going to guess there's another answer - people who watch and read R and X rated material.

I have to respectfully disagree... I was raised frum in a wonderful home, my mother checked every single one of my books and I was a voracious reader (thanks ma!), and I did not watch many movies. Today I read a lot more, and I think that's where my knowledge is coming from, but that's it. I don't watch any movies or TV and though I work in a huge non Jewish company, I have yet to hear bad language there (bH!). Definitely heard in college though.. I can't pinpoint exactly where I learned certain things from. Over time you just pick things up.
All I'm saying is I think it's very common to learn things if you have exposure to the world in any way, and I don't think it's so fair to say that it's only certain people. You are very lucky that you have not been exposed to this, but I think it's dangerous to think that our kids won't learn things just because we don't watch movies at home...
In any case, I'm curious how many people actually knew about "moose knuckles" before these conversations (I didn't). I don't think it's so common, but maybe that's just me...

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:48 am
amother Apricot wrote:

Actually I'd venture to say most people know it from reading books. And maybe having gone to (secular) college. That's how I picked up stuff.

You've probably heard stuff vaguely but with no context to understand the meaning so didn't even realize it was vulgar or double entendre. Reading is what gives the context so you understand it.

Incidentally, I don't think you realize what x rated means. It's actual p*RN and a very far cry from an R rated movie. And there is no such thing as R rated reading material. But anyway, you don't need to have watched either to have picked up the meaning of these terms.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:49 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Actually I'd venture to say most people know it from reading books. And maybe having gone to (secular) college. That's how I picked up stuff.

You've probably heard stuff vaguely but with no context to understand the meaning. Reading is what gives the context so you understand it.

Incidentally, I don't think you realize what x rated means. It's actual p*RN and a very far cry from an R rated movie. But anyway, you don't need to have watched either to have picked up the meaning of these terms.

I like that clarification: the books give the context to things you hear without realizing it. Secular college too, yes.
Agree all around!

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:00 am
amother Crystal wrote:

You've probably heard stuff vaguely but with no context to understand the meaning so didn't even realize it was vulgar or double entendre. Reading is what gives the context so you understand it.

Incidentally, I don't think you realize what x rated means. It's actual p*RN and a very far cry from an R rated movie. And there is no such thing as R rated reading material. But anyway, you don't need to have watched either to have picked up the meaning of these terms.

Actually, I read everything and I went to secular college as well. Somehow these words and expressions never came up Wink. The first time I realized that the word p**** does not mean a cat was when it came up in relation to our former president...

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:14 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
Actually, I read everything and I went to secular college as well. Somehow these words and expressions never came up Wink. The first time I realized that the word p**** does not mean a cat was when it came up in relation to our former president...

Well, maybe it's generational & depends on your reading material. I picked up most of this stuff from reading typical YA books of the 80s and 90s. Hardly x rated material. And in certain ways more innocent than the YA genre of today which is really almost obsolete by this point anyway.
(Although actually as I recall the first time I heard the p* y reference was in my elementary BY school from another kid. Whatever. I just went on with my day. I don't think it scarred me. You can't prevent kids from being exposed even if you outlaw all secular books and media.)

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:12 am
amother Mintcream wrote:

The only place I could possibly know this stuff from is reading or college, so I guess it depends on what you're reading or where/when you went to college...

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:16 am
amother Crystal wrote:

I do realize, and although books aren't rated there are many that should be, maybe it's not as bad as watching but there are plenty that are filled with trash - and much more acceptable in general cause they're only books

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:38 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
One we're on this very fascinating subject, does anyone else find the term "freaking" on the edge of vulgarity?

I know freaking out means going nuts (right?) but then you hear people saying "it was a freaking nightmare" and I'm pretty sure being used as a substitute for a far more vulgar word.

I just don't think it belongs in a refined person's vocabulary.

You know, it used to faze me but not anymore. And I don't think it's because I'm desensitized, I think that there's so much more out there.
What about saying, Oh....sh...ugar.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:45 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
One we're on this very fascinating subject, does anyone else find the term "freaking" on the edge of vulgarity?

I know freaking out means going nuts (right?) but then you hear people saying "it was a freaking nightmare" and I'm pretty sure being used as a substitute for a far more vulgar word.

I just don't think it belongs in a refined person's vocabulary.

Yes I agree. I would use the term freaking out but not any other way. It's a substitute for a different f word. My husband grew up less sheltered than me and his family does use it and I really try to not have it used in my house. I asked if he would be okay with our kids saying it, and the answer was no.... The only way for that to happen is for them to not hear it being used.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:03 pm
Quote:
What about saying, Oh....sh...ugar.

Or, "you forgot, my foot..." (or any other statement about which the speaker is expressing deep skepticism) - clearly substituting for a more vulgar expression. That was very common in my family but I didn't realize what it was about til later. At least I was sheltered in that way (though sadly not in many other ways.)

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:08 pm
Remind us again who made you the frum fashionista police?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:21 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Remind us again who made you the frum fashionista police?

This is p. 10. Are you addressing OP? I don't even remember her point or how she said it. But I appreciate the PSA, wherever it came from. I have a broader frame of reference than some other people but I still didn't know this and yes, this is a definite thing that we should avoid.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:25 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
I once heard a very chasidish women tell her baby " come here I'll give you a p****" ( meaning a kiss) She is as innocent as ever yet that word has so so much bad meaning to it. Anyone not understanding that it means a simple kiss could cringe!

So many things could have double meanings.......

I come from a German speaking country and that word is used for kiss. It is spelled bussi.
All frum families there say it. It's a normal part of the language.
Yiddish is derived from german so maybe it comes from there.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 3:38 pm
If puss y means kiss what's wrong with that?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:

It's very seldom used that way.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:

That's not what it means in English.

Wolfsbane

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:08 pm
It's all about context - if you're in an environment where most people use a term in the innocuous sense, then use it unselfconsciously. But when you're outside of that context - be aware of its other meanings and swap it out for another word.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics