Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Already panicking about camp

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:59 am
I'm sending to sleepaway camp for the first time this summer. Twins, so it's x2 (both boys, if that matters in terms of any advice). They're all registered, paperwork filled out, in the process of paying, so that's all good. No, I'm starting to panic about the actual logistics of getting everything ready. It seems like a mammoth task, and I have to do it for 2! The labeling alone sounds scary (I'm half considering skipping it and just accepting they'll probably come home with no clothes?) Needing to go through what we have and then figure out what we don't have and get that. Figuring out the incidentals and not so obvious stuff. Purchasing luggage. Ugh, it's freaking me out!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:07 am
Definitely label! How old are the kids? If old enough for sleep away can they be given tasks? You can order stick on labels (makes the job easy) or hand them each a sharpie.

We decided 5 days before camp started to send my son. Was tight but was not stressful in the slightest.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:11 am
lol was going to post - definitely don't label. My son came home and said he was the only boy that had labeled his stuff and it was so weird to do that. It was a Mesivta camp for reference. Now we are talking about camp for this year and he was like - DO NOT ORDER LABELS.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:12 am
If you don’t label nothing will come home. Especially for boys where they all have the same things. I bought a stamper and it was easy and fun for my kids to do themselves. Get 2 so each kid can do their own. I also got the sticky label types for anything black that couldn’t be stamped but the stamper was a huge time saver.
Name Stamp, Custom Stamp Name ,Personalized Stamper, Clothing Stamp,Personalized Stamps, Custom Name for Baby Clothes,6 Sticker Patterns https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N.....ss_tl
For shopping, I did almost everything on line. I placed a target/Walmart order for all the toiletries and as everything came I stuck it on the bottom of a closet and checked it off the list.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:16 am
The camps have packing lists so you can follow that, with some extra personal touches.

Look for large duffel bags with wheels to pack in.

I skipped labels and used a black sharpie to write the name on the clothing item or a silver sharpie on a dark item. We did it as we sorted and folded laundry when summer was getting closer. So it was five minutes more of sorting/folding each time instead of a mountain of clothing to label all at once.

I like to use mesh bags, one for socks, one for underwear, one for undershirts. I also put a duvet cover on the comforter before packing so once they get there making their bed is quick and easy.

One more thing: boys may prefer plain dark pj pants for camp so when they do activities in pjs they don't have everyone looking at soccer balls or Elmo lol.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:18 am
Oh and do not label underwear! So they don't have to worry about someone picking up a pair from the floor and saying "whose is this?!"

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:33 am
Label label label EVERYTHING. If they're old enough to go to camp, they're old enough to label. Buy the iron on labels and the stamps. Whatever can be stamped, stamp; the rest iron on labels. Teach them how to do it, you'll be pleasantly surprised. For socks I gave them sock locks and a mesh bag. Every night they had to put the socks onto a sock lock and into the mesh bag. Label the mesh bag.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:18 pm
I really like the labelland stick on labels. Easy and they really stay on. Much less time consuming than a sharpie

asmileaday

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:38 pm
I label for my own peace of mind but it's not that hard if you do the stickers. Do it right before camp so there's less of a chance for it to wash off.
My kids hardly lost any things in camp even though everyone warned me they will. They came home with everything, especially clothing. I also don't think that labeling contributed to that but I do it anyway.

If you live in the tri state area and your kids are going upstate just remember that you can always send them stuff they need. You don't have to remember everything. I've shipped soap, shampoo, more underwear etc... directly from Walmart or amazon.

I find the camp lists from the camp to be excessive.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
I really like the labelland stick on labels. Easy and they really stay on. Much less time consuming than a sharpie

Did you have different ones that you're comparing a to b? Because the stick on labels I had fell off.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:28 pm
Use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-C.....ss_tl

Don't get iron on. These come in a lot of sizes and I cut the larger ones into smaller pieces and usually one pack covers one child going to sleep away camp but when I have a few kids going to camp I buy one for each kid plus one extra in case we need a few more.

After pesach, start going through the packing list and marking off which things you have and which things you don't have and make a plan to get what you need. A couple weeks before camp, show the labels to your child and you sit down together at the table and write their name on every single label. And then a few nights in a row you attack the pile of clothes together by just sticking the labels on and it won't be so hard.

Regarding the post above, they stay on really well! We have clothes in our house that have had these labels on them for years.

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:33 pm
It’s not as big as a deal as you’re imagining! Especially if you start preparing now!
Ask people who have sent before for their lists, you can order everything on Amazon or at amazing savings if you have one near you.
Also, I don’t know about the camp you’re sending to, but the ones I send to, the bunks laundry gets washed together. If you don’t label your sons clothing, he will not get anything back from the laundromat and forget about not coming home with clothing, he won’t have any clothing to wear there! They need to put their socks and underwear in mesh bags, and those come back as is, but the rest of the clothing, must get labeled if they’re doing their laundry with the camp!!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:41 pm
Thanks everyone. Does anyone have a good list with timeline for me? For example: 6 weeks before do x, 4 weeks before prepare y etc.

The boys are 10. They have adhd and aren't the most helpful. Like they have chores and I can have them do stuff, but it's more for chinuch than an actual to help to me. Their help really doesn't take much off my plate.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:27 pm
No need to panic. Just make a list and start going through their items and counting how much of each they have. Whatever they're missing, start buying and sticking on the sticker labels.

The amount of clothes varies. You need at least 8 days worth of clothes since laundry is only done once a week. If they'll be in camp during the 9 days, they'll need about 12 days worth of clothes. Some people like to send 2 weeks worth of clothes as kids can sometimes forget to give in or need to change during the day. If they share, maybe the 8 days worth for each is enough. Also remember, the clothes don't have to be expensive as some items get ruined or lost.

Boys Camp List

-2 duffel bags on wheels (about 36" long)
-2 full sets linen, 1 blanket, 1-2 pillows
-1 mini negel vasser set
-3 large towels
-swim robe
-2 bathing suits
-1 swim tee
-goggles and swim gear
-2 pr sneakers, 1 shabbos shoes, 1 slides (for swimming & showers), 1 Natives or rain shoes
-4 sets shabbos clothes
-4 tzitzis
-4 yarmulkes
-14 pairs socks
-14 boxers
-14 undershirts (if they wear)
-14 t-shirts
-8-12 pr pants
-1 set junk clothes
-2 sweatshirts (1 heavier weight)
-laundry bag
-baseball cap
-cip on fan, flashlight, camera, MP3 player & earphones (find out if MP3 ok if it doesn’t have internet capability)
-batteries for flashlight and camera
-siddur (with tehillim & shabbos davening)
-pre-stamped envelopes, paper, pen
-deodorant, 3-on-1 shampoo/body wash, 2 toothbrushes, 1 toothpaste
-sunscreen, bug repellent
-brush, comb, nail clipper, pins for kippa
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children