Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
How do you make and serve farina?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:24 am
My great aunt was just niftar and my cousin gave a hespid. One of the things she said was she remembers how her grandmother, my great aunt always served farina. Hearing that, it made me think, what, there are other ways because for me, that’s the norm. On a plate with sugared cocoa powder spread on it. A little milk can be poured on the plate. It’s good to make a path for the milk before pouring.

How do you make it and serve it and did you have it like that growing up?

Also, a bowl of Cheerios without chocolate chips, is like pizza without any cheese.

Living Princess

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:27 am
I follow the instructions on the box

advocate

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:45 am
A little cinnamon sugar

With a veggie sausage

Nice memory-thank you for sharing!

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:48 am
Had it for dinner last nite, needing some comfort food. With milk and maple syrup.

mfb

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:52 am
My mother used to put a square of butter onto the top of your portion and we watched it melt and then mixed it in.

momomany

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:59 am
my kids favorite breakfast. half milk/half water with a pinch of salt. whisk butter and Farina when liquid boils. one child likes it with cocoa/sugar sifted on top. the other has me melt a spoon of peanut butter into the ready Farina and Sprinkle mini chocolate chips onto his bowl. this is not the healthiest breakfast but we love mornings!

Mommyflower

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:17 am
We ate it every day when we were kids until maybe age 6 or 7. My Mother put in a pat of butter or margarine and a sprinkle of sugar and we poured a little milk over the top. After that, switched to dry cereal or eggs. Sometimes she made oatmeal as well. I think the minhag came from my much beloved grandmother, who ate some form of hot cereal every day.

esther11

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:56 am
My grandmother always put raisins in it. On very rare occasion when I have it, I do a bit of cinnamon.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:28 am
I cook it with milk and add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt.

I don't understand adding white sugar. Sweetness without the flavor. To me brown sugar is almost essential to any homemade hot cereal (my mother made a few different ones) but I'll settle for Craisins.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:37 am
I actually like it without sweetener. If I sweeten it, it’s with a little dark brown sugar.
Oatmeal gets real maple syrup, though it’s also better unsweetened.

I’ve never tried it savory.

queen59

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:22 am
Milk, Farina, sweet butter and vanilla sugar. Yum!

Olive

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:11 am
50/50 full fat milk & water, vanilla sugar & sugar, add about 3 tbsp Farina per cup liquid. Kids add cocoa mix.

This is our classic winter melava Malka treat

ap

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:29 pm
Is Farina a health food?

NechaMom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:48 pm
ap wrote:
Is Farina a health food?

For emotional health for sure.
It’s a comfort food.
Don’t think it has much nutritional value especially with all the sweeteners and butter added.

candies

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 3:40 pm
I cook it with milk and sugar. some kids like it liquidy and some like it thicker. so I put in milk accordingly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals