Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What is AI/Chat GPT? For Dummies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:42 am
I keep on reading about it and it sounds freaky!
Can someone please explain in very simple language what it is exactly.
TIA

groisamomma

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:52 am
You ask a question and it answers as if it was a human. I asked for phrases to write on a sympathy card and it gave me a few formal ones. I responded by saying I wanted something informal so it gave me more conversational phrases. Basically, you can carry on a normal conversation with it.
ETA it comes up with the funniest songs on the spot about virtually any topic you ask for.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:26 am
groisamomma wrote:
You ask a question and it answers as if it was a human. I asked for phrases to write on a sympathy card and it gave me a few formal ones. I responded by saying I wanted something informal so it gave me more conversational phrases. Basically, you can carry on a normal conversation with it.
ETA it comes up with the funniest songs on the spot about virtually any topic you ask for.

How do you access this?
And why are there doomsday predictions that it may take over the world?

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:35 am
Chat gpt is one form of AI. AI is moving toward replacing human intelligence in many ways. Self driving cars was a start.

If chat GPT gets advanced enough, can it replace copywriters?
Will mid journey (image generating AI) replace designers, artists, and photographers?
They now have this software where you can have make a Lifelike animation of a person talking. You give it a script and choose a voice and a face, and it looks so real. And you can do it of actual people. There a fake video of Morgan freeman speaking and it looks believable. It’s crazy

Who knows where else this will go.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:43 am
And have you seen those videos of those headless robot “dogs” that can run and climb and jump and are impossible to knock over? Jordan Peterson says they will be incredibly dangerous if we give them killing capabilities.

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:33 am
I asked for it to write me ads for dinner journal to thank principals teachers etc. Wow the most beautiful ads I’ve ever written! Lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:36 am
Dunno. Don't like this...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:38 am
Can anyone give me details exactly how to do this?

I think I went on the correct site, but doesnt give me options to write a story or.poem etc.

When I type something in the nox, it just keep saying theres an error.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:45 am
Basically someone programmed a machine to scan the whole internet and collect the information you ask for and compile it into sentences. It’s not creepy it’s pretty simple. And machine learning will only be as smart as it’s smartest programmer. Saying this as someone who knows the industry of machine learning well.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:47 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you access this?
And why are there doomsday predictions that it may take over the world?

Reminds me of y2k. People like to panic about everything.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:13 am
cookiewriter wrote:
I asked for it to write me ads for dinner journal to thank principals teachers etc. Wow the most beautiful ads I’ve ever written! Lol

They weren't trite, generic, derivative?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:16 am
A lot of industries use artificial intelligence. I heard a rocket scientist say that they use it all the time. The difference is, their AI uses carefully curated feeding of info to make accurate calculations. She said that when she asked an AI site, possibly ChatGPT, to design a rocket, it didn't leave room for fuel to escape. Because there is so much more on these AI "playgrounds" to work with, they need real people to feed them well-designed prompts, and they will need editing and fact-checking after.

Will it improve to the degree that it won't need fact checking, and only minimal reworking? I don't know.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:
They weren't trite, generic, derivative?

No!
I used to it create a Chanukah Thank you letter and it was perfect. I tweaked it a drop

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:23 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
No!
I used to it create a Chanukah Thank you letter and it was perfect. I tweaked it a drop

Oooh, so time to be afraid. Very afraid. Hiding

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:26 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
No!

Does that mean everyone using it will be giving the same identical letter s etc?

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:30 am
I think it is quite alarming.

ChatGPT can write essays for students, enabling all sorts of easy cheating.
https://www.businessinsider.co.....023-1

ChatGPT can pass many certifying exams (Bar exams, MBA exams, MCATs, etc.).
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c.....exam/
https://www.letsrun.com/forum/.....59172
https://knowledge.wharton.upen.....next/

ChatGPT can write magazine and newspaper articles, potentially rendering some journalists and freelancers obsolete.

ChatGPT has also been built with considerable left-wing bias, so if people begin to rely on ChatGPT instead of search engines (which also have biases...), certain points of view may be completely suppressed.
https://the-decoder.com/chatgp.....tudy/
https://bgr.com/general/openai.....ence/

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:00 am
DrMom wrote:
I think it is quite alarming.

ChatGPT can write essays for students, enabling all sorts of easy cheating.
https://www.businessinsider.co.....023-1

Interesting essay: https://www.theatlantic.com/te.....2371/

There's another essay I just saw from 4 days ago but - oh well - my Atlantic freebies are coming to an end. It's about being able to check if AI wrote something.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:05 am
As a hs writing teacher, this really scares me.

How many students will use chat gpt to write essays stories etc for them?
I feel like there’s no way to know, and I’m hesitant to assign any at home writing…

Any teachers here that can weigh in?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
A lot of industries use artificial intelligence. I heard a rocket scientist say that they use it all the time. The difference is, their AI uses carefully curated feeding of info to make accurate calculations. She said that when she asked an AI site, possibly ChatGPT, to design a rocket, it didn't leave room for fuel to escape. Because there is so much more on these AI "playgrounds" to work with, they need real people to feed them well-designed prompts, and they will need editing and fact-checking after.

Will it improve to the degree that it won't need fact checking, and only minimal reworking? I don't know.

All big companies use AI now. It’s a huge field and it’s everywhere. In most cases it’s used as a tool to enhance things and make it easier. I don’t see how it has the capability to do more than humans. And being that things like rockets are never going to be public information it can’t find the info. Someone has to feed it to info or tell it where to find it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:10 am
amother Hosta wrote:
As a hs writing teacher, this really scares me.

How many students will use chat gpt to write essays stories etc for them?
I feel like there’s no way to know, and I’m hesitant to assign any at home writing…

You might have to give a lot of in class writing assignments. Maybe if you do a lot at the beginning of the year you'll get to know the kids' styles somewhat?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics