Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Who pays for training?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:35 am
I got myself into a situation and not sure how to get out of it. Being a little vague here.

I called my boss to tell her that there is an area at work that I can get better at and many coworkers also could use more guidance in that area. Just as an example, I can use help in customer service, how to deal with x type of clients.... We discussed that maybe she can bring down someone to work to give us guidance and do a question and answer. She said she'll look into it.

She called me back a few days later that there is someone great giving a workshop on this topic. She sent me an overview and it looked great. It was more intense than I had in mind. It's many many hours over 2 nights. (and on a very busy week for me).

I got an email with the information and it's $400 a person. Now I would like to get the training because I like to be the best worker I can be. Buuut, I think it doens't make sense that I should have to pay for the whole training.

I guess their reasoning is that I am getting training to be better than it brings value to me and I should pay. But it's not like learning a whole new program. I hear this reasoning if it would teach me how to use a new software or something. But how to improve costumer service is not something I would find worthwhile in now to invest this amount of time and money.

The thing is that because I asked for it, and she went ahead and found this for me, I feel a little obligated to go. I don't want to be ungrateful. I think that if it's worth it for her that we should improve in this area than she should pay for it and if it's not worth it for her, than I'm ok continuing the way it is now.

What do I do? Do I tell her I don't want to go? How?
Thank you!

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:46 am
“Looks great, how many of us do you want to send?”
Play dumb- assume she’s paying and see what happens

Just One

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:55 am
These kind of trainings are usually work sponsored. I think you should bring that up with your boss

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:00 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
“Looks great, how many of us do you want to send?”
Play dumb- assume she’s paying and see what happens

She said she'll see if she can contribute a part, but then said that she can't...

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:
She said she'll see if she can contribute a part, but then said that she can't...

“I see, ok. If you change your mind please let me know. It is a course I would love to do and it would bring a lot of value to your company.”

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:14 am
Do I need to feel bad that I asked for it and then not attending. I doubt any other workers will sign up. But because I asked for it I feel silly not being willing to put in the work.
It's the money and also the time. It's 6 hours, very hard timing, in a very overwhelming week for me. Basically nothing I would ever choose to do voluntarily, but can manybe make work if it's mandatory.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Do I need to feel bad that I asked for it and then not attending. I doubt any other workers will sign up. But because I asked for it I feel silly not being willing to put in the work.
It's the money and also the time. It's 6 hours, very hard timing, in a very overwhelming week for me. Basically nothing I would ever choose to do voluntarily, but can manybe make work if it's mandatory.

No , because you asked for her to train you, not to spend your time and money training yourself.

Would you do it if she paid for it? If so, you’re not doing it because she’s not sponsoring it- which is fair.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:19 am
It is 100 percent on her to pay for it. Don't feel bad not going.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:27 am
Thanks everyone!!
Seems unanimous opinion is that I don't need to go.

Funny thing is that they wanted me to sign a 2 year contract instead of 1 year because "they invested in my training" lol. I put down my foot and they changed it back for 1 year. I'm still waiting for them to invest in my training.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:58 am
Just because you initiated an idea about how you can be more productive and a better worker doesn't at all necessarily mean you want to or are able to pay for it. I want to be a better worker as well. I don't think I'd pay $400 though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:00 am
amother Beige wrote:
Just because you initiated an idea about how you can be more productive and a better worker doesn't at all necessarily mean you want to or are able to pay for it. I want to be a better worker as well. I don't think I'd pay $400 though.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
All this is helping me work up the courage to tell her that I won't be attending.

Thinking if I should be vague like "it doens't work for me" or more direct "thanks for opportunity, but it's too expensive for me. Or too many hours for me..."

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:26 am
Of course the boss is supposed to pay for training! Part of the business expenses.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:28 am
SuperWify wrote:
“I see, ok. If you change your mind please let me know. It is a course I would love to do and it would bring a lot of value to your company.”

Perfect response. Op use this.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:29 am
SuperWify wrote:

Great response! Puts the ball in her court without degrading yourself.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 10:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate it.
All this is helping me work up the courage to tell her that I won't be attending.

Thinking if I should be vague like "it doens't work for me" or more direct "thanks for opportunity, but it's too expensive for me. Or too many hours for me..."

No don't say it's to expensive for you
This is not YOUR expense.
You are already giving your time, which isn't even being paid, becasue it sound like it's ouy of normal work hours.

Its unfortunate that this opportunity won't work out.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:16 am
When I worked in corporate America, we were able to take training classes that would be beneficial. We had to show how it would add value to the company, ie: how it was relevant to our job, and then the company would pay for it. Food and lodging included (if it was overnight).
I would never pay for training out of my own pocket, unless I was unemployed and needed to sharpen my skills.
By you taking a training course, you are becoming more valuable to the company. They can make you sign that you won't leave within a certain time period, or something like that. But don't pay for it yourself.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:19 am
I would only pay for training if I felt it would add to my value IE I could get a better job down the road from it. Even then I would offer to go half and half with my employer. I cant see myself paying for it all myself.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone!!
Seems unanimous opinion is that I don't need to go.

Funny thing is that they wanted me to sign a 2 year contract instead of 1 year because "they invested in my training" lol. I put down my foot and they changed it back for 1 year. I'm still waiting for them to invest in my training.

Wow that sounds really stingy. I’m happy you didn’t sign! In todays market you can for sure find nicer bosses with better bonuses.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:43 am
mha3484 wrote:
I would only pay for training if I felt it would add to my value IE I could get a better job down the road from it. Even then I would offer to go half and half with my employer. I cant see myself paying for it all myself.

I would also pay for training that I can have more value. But this is not that type of thing that I would invest in myself now.

Except if when I renegotiate a raise they would pay me more because my value went up lol.

I asked for it because I thought it would benefit the company.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:45 am
SuperWify wrote:
Wow that sounds really stingy. I’m happy you didn’t sign! In todays market you can for sure find nicer bosses with better bonuses.

bh really kind and nice boss. The money is an issue. Bh I get paid well, but all the extra expenses that crop up like supplies and other things are an issue.

They are very tight in money. Without going into detail, it's not a money making business for my boss. There is fundraising involved to keep it running. I don't look at it as so stingy as in they are trying to budget to make keep this mission running.

thanks everyone for the support.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics