Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Summer , michigan or wyoming with little kids?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:22 am
anyone here been or know both to know which is better/easier for a family vacation with baby and young kids?
Already knocked out the East Coast and CA so looking for a change of scenery state with not too hot/humid weather..
Thank you!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:27 am
Wyoming sounds interesting

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:30 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Wyoming sounds interesting

have you been? if yes any useful info for me ? Wink

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:09 am
I have been to Michigan with little kids (by which I mean 6 kids ranging in age from 12 down to infant). But not Wyoming. Upstate Michigan is beautiful. Brought our food from Detroit (frum community). Look up Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Petoskey, Tahquamenon Falls, the Pictured Rocks, Sault St Marie. I went to all those places up north. Also the sand dunes. You can also go to western Michigan along Lake Michigan. It’s so beautiful there.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:49 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I have been to Michigan with little kids (by which I mean 6 kids ranging in age from 12 down to infant). But not Wyoming. Upstate Michigan is beautiful. Brought our food from Detroit (frum community). Look up Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Petoskey, Tahquamenon Falls, the Pictured Rocks, Sault St Marie. I went to all those places up north. Also the sand dunes. You can also go to western Michigan along Lake Michigan. It’s so beautiful there.

Can you share more about this trip? Ty

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:06 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:

Was it difficult with a baby ?
Was it hot (like 80s) or humid?
Thanks !

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:35 am
I've been to both. Both are great trips, but it depends on the age of your kids and what they like to do and what kind of trip you're looking for and how long you're going for. The UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan is really nice and off the beaten track, but it's more spread out.

After flying in to Detroit, you drive a few hours to the ferry to Mackinac Island - try to stay the night there if at all possible! From there you can continue exploring the peninsula. Painted Rocks boat tour is a must, and Tahqaumenon Falls both upper and lower are nice, especially if you do the boat rental. Soo Locks boat ride is fun as well. Another stunning spot is called Kitch-iti-kipi - funny name, but google it and make sure to go! But all these places can be 1-3 hours apart, so there's more driving involved.

For Wyoming, you can fly into Jackson, where you're right outside Grand Teton NP, and Yellowstone is a little under 2 hours away. Cody is a cute town, but it's quite a drive. Wyoming also has a Chabad in Jackson if you're there for Shabbos, or want to order food for pick-up, whereas in Michigan you'll need to stock up on everything in Detroit.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:50 am
doctorima wrote:
I've been to both. Both are great trips, but it depends on the age of your kids and what they like to do and what kind of trip you're looking for and how long you're going for. The UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan is really nice and off the beaten track, but it's more spread out.

After flying in to Detroit, you drive a few hours to the ferry to Mackinac Island - try to stay the night there if at all possible! From there you can continue exploring the peninsula. Painted Rocks boat tour is a must, and Tahqaumenon Falls both upper and lower are nice, especially if you do the boat rental. Soo Locks boat ride is fun as well. Another stunning spot is called Kitch-iti-kipi - funny name, but google it and make sure to go! But all these places can be 1-3 hours apart, so there's more driving involved.

For Wyoming, you can fly into Jackson, where you're right outside Grand Teton NP, and Yellowstone is a little under 2 hours away. Cody is a cute town, but it's quite a drive. Wyoming also has a Chabad in Jackson if you're there for Shabbos, or want to order food for pick-up, whereas in Michigan you'll need to stock up on everything in Detroit.

Is upper michigan good for little kids? Which was prettier from the two options?

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:18 am
Quote:
Which was prettier from the two options?

It's not a matter of prettier. The landscape is going to be very different in the two places. They are both very beautiful, I'm sure. The topograpy of Wyoming and surronding areas is very different to what we see on the east coast. I don't think the natural features and landscape of Michigan (even the Upper Peninsula) are that different from places in or near the tri state area.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:56 am
doctorima wrote:

Thank you for this ! Which would you recommend more for stroller friendly? And which is less humid ? Thanks ! 😊

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:00 am
I’ve been talking about going to Wyoming for a while. Renting an Airbnb for 3 weeks. What made you choose Wyoming? I’ve been wanting to go because it’s so different from the city life we live! How long are you planning on going?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:05 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
I’ve been talking about going to Wyoming for a while. Renting an Airbnb for 3 weeks. What made you choose Wyoming? I’ve been wanting to go because it’s so different from the city life we live! How long are you planning on going?

Bored of the East Coast and far West Coast too long to travel.
Google says they're not too humid/hot in summer which I hope is true... Hoping to go for a week, lucky you to get 3 weeks away !

Zahava94

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:34 am
The topography and scenery in Michigan isn't that different from New England or upstate New York. There's lots of hardwood forest, with a mix of deciduous trees and conifers, and in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, some hills, waterfalls, and elevation change. As others of have said, the main attractions in upper Michigan, outdoors-wise, are Mackinac Island (accessible by ferry), Pictured Rocks (cliffs and waterfalls along the Lake Superior coast), and Tahqaumenon Falls. Another nice spot in the UP is Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains, on the western end of the UP. Some additional attractions on the mainland of Michigan are Sleeping Bear Dunes (fun sand dunes along the lakeshore), Holland (lots of windmills and cute shops) and the lighthouses at St. Joseph. The summer temperatures in northern Michigan are relatively cool (highs in the upper 70's to low 80's), though there is plenty of humidity and fog. Detroit is main transportation hub in Michigan. If you want to spend most of your time in the UP, you can also fly into Milwaukee, which is slightly closer. Either way, the flights are relatively affordable and both cities have kosher food and shul options.

Wyoming is completely different from anything in the midwest or east coast. It is has a semi-arid climate (low humidity), relatively cool weather (though there can be heat waves in the summer) and very mountainous terrain in the western half of the state, with mainly pine forests. As others have said, the main attractions are Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, which are both beautiful and incredibly different from anything in the eastern half of the US. One thing to note is that both national parks get very, very crowded in the summer months. Hotels get booked up very quickly. There are long lines to get into the parks. They may feel more like amusement parks than a chance to get out in nature. That being said, Wyoming has so many beautiful and open areas to enjoy nature, even without spending much time in the national parks. The Bighorn Mountains and Wind River Range both are beautiful, open natural areas that give the same feel as the national parks without the crowds. Aside from that, flying into Jackson is expensive and there are limited amenities in the area, kosher-wise. The chabad there can certainly help, but you won't have the same options that Michigan would afford. Flying into Bozeman, MT might be a more practical choice.

Ultimately, I'd say - Michigan would provide a more family-friendly, cost-effective vacation, whereas Wyoming would give you a bigger thrill.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for this ! Which would you recommend more for stroller friendly? And which is less humid ? Thanks ! 😊

The national parks of Wyoming are likely to be more stroller friendly than the more rugged UP of Michigan, which is less built up and more on your own as far as infrastructure. Zahava gave a great rundown of the weather differences, plus a lot more!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:26 am
doctorima wrote:
The national parks of Wyoming are likely to be more stroller friendly than the more rugged UP of Michigan, which is less built up and more on your own as far as infrastructure. Zahava gave a great rundown of the weather differences, plus a lot more!

Thank you for all the info everyone ! Still a bit torn because stroller friendly is so important but so is family friendly activities little ones which doesn't too much like Wyoming. Will just have to decide and go for it !

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:11 am
If it's family-friendly activities you want, Jackson WY has become touristy in that regard. You can find horseback riding, a rodeo, whitewater rafting, wildlife tours, fishing, ATV tours, and more. That's not the main reason most people go to the area, but you can definitely combine it with the national parks to break them up. Some of the activities may have a minimum age though, so you'd need to check on that if coming with a baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics