Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pet Peeves: What Are Yours??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:23 am
amother Bone wrote:
And I always hope there is a stranded shopping cart around. When you're carrying a heavy baby on your hip, and wrestling anothert kid with your other hand (because a parking lot seems like the best place to run), sometimes the carts are so far!

Agree.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:22 am
amother Daylily wrote:
When people *especially educated individuals misspell your/ you're, there/they're/their
Where/were
To/too/two
A lot (people think it's one word).

When people write in "regards" to instead of in regard to.
When people don't thank me or acknowledge that I held the door open for them.
Loud chewing.
When people touch or kick my chair while I'm sitting.

This. Gets me

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:24 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
When a guy or couple says we’re pregnant, only a woman can be pregnant, you can’t be pregnant if you’re a guy.
Yiddish speaking guys say ‘ehr hut geboren a baby’ which literally means ‘he gave birth to a baby’!!! Quite impossible and disrespectful to the woman who actually gave birth.

This is more than just a Yiddish speaking issue. I have a lot of Yiddish speaking men in my life who say it correctly.

The correct way is prob to say 'we're expecting' bec that does refer to them both.

cransky

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:49 am
When people commit to something and then flake.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:55 am
With people who I know might swipe left and right when I show them one picture, I place the picture in a separate folder before I show it to them. Problem solved.

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:57 am
When people go on about people's misspellings the whole time and think they're so amazing because their English is better. Suddenly the whole topic of conversation is hijacked because it "really really irritates" them.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:00 am
amother Bone wrote:
And I always hope there is a stranded shopping cart around. When you're carrying a heavy baby on your hip, and wrestling anothert kid with your other hand (because a parking lot seems like the best place to run), sometimes the carts are so far!

At least tuck the cart in between the cars and not in the middle of the parking spot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:05 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
With people who I know might swipe left and right when I show them one picture, I place the picture in a separate folder before I show it to them. Problem solved.

I guess I should create a 'Kids Nachas' folder for all the grandmas and great aunts who 'must' see pics of ur kids...
I'm always looking for just the right picture without a messy background while they're hovering. LOL And if you pass any selfies on the way TMI
Good idea!

justforfun87

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:43 am
When people take food before the Rabbi says kiddush.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:54 am
When I’m bentching or davening and can’t speak, and someone asks me a question that can’t be easily answered with a yes or no head shake.
You can see I can’t talk, how exactly are you expecting me to answer you??
No I will not talk just for you. You aren’t a little kid and It’s not an emergency.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:01 pm
unnamed wrote:
Both 'regards' and 'regard' are correct and can be used interchangeably.

That's actually incorrect. It is in regard to. Google it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:01 pm
How can forget my worst pet peeve?
When anyone moves the plastic on my Shabbos tablecloth!
I grit my teeth and adjust it again and again as my children do it All The Time!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Mine are:
*When holding the door open for a woman with a carriage and she doesn't thank you. Punch
*People setting the table with spoons on the left and forks on the right Can't Believe It
*I'll think of more...

After just listening to a conversation between a few people, I have a new pet peeve: people who say “like” after every couple of words (“So I was walking, like, to the store and I ran into Chani, and like, she was so, like, happy to see me, and it was so, like, weird because, like, I haven’t seen her in a while!”)

Seriously never realized how many people do this!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:22 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
When people take food before the Rabbi says kiddush.

In my shul it happens before Davening is over!

unnamed

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:04 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
That's actually incorrect. It is in regard to. Google it.

I did, and you're right! Oops

But apparently I'm not alone.

Me: Can you say 'in regards to' as opposed to 'in regard to'

ChatGPT: Yes, both "in regards to" and "in regard to" are used and considered acceptable in modern English language. They are used to express the relationship between two things or to refer to a particular matter. "In regards to" is a more informal version of "in regard to". Both can be used interchangeably in most situations.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:05 pm
So here's my pet peeve though clearly most people wouldn't agree.
Writing BDE on a thread about a death. I find the abbreviation so disrespectful to the dead and bereaved. You really can't type out the words?
It looks so cliched. So slang. Irreverent.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess I should create a 'Kids Nachas' folder for all the grandmas and great aunts who 'must' see pics of ur kids...
I'm always looking for just the right picture without a messy background while they're hovering. LOL And if you pass any selfies on the way TMI
Good idea!

ok this is such a great idea will put a folder together now Very Happy

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:23 pm
When people's biases overcome their empathy and they refuse to accept that their experience is not everyone's and they may even be in a minority.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
We used to live near a relative who was 'too frum to have internet' in the house. We once helped them out with updating things on their computer so they now had our password. They would then park in our driveway and check email and internet things. As soon as I discovered that we changed the password.

You either use or don't use the internet for frumkeit reasons.

Seriously, don't be a hypocrite at my expense.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all. They don't have internet in the house. They sometimes need to use the internet so they sit in a parked car and do what they need to do. I'm sure no-one is sitting there for hours just surfing the web... They do what they need to do And leave. Honestly its an easy chesed in my opinion and one I would be happy to do. Of course you could change the code if it bothers you to have them sit in your driveway.... But it sounds like it was the principal of the matter which I think you are one hundred percent wrong about.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:44 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I don't think it's hypocritical at all. They don't have internet in the house. They sometimes need to use the internet so they sit in a parked car and do what they need to do. I'm sure no-one is sitting there for hours just surfing the web... They do what they need to do And leave. Honestly its an easy chesed in my opinion and one I would be happy to do. Of course you could change the code if it bothers you to have them sit in your driveway.... But it sounds like it was the principal of the matter which I think you are one hundred percent wrong about.

Depending on how often they do it... They either need to get their own Internet, offer to pay OP a portion of the bill .... Bc yes too many devices will slow it down . Or they should go the local library since they provide free internet and assistance.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette