Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pet Peeves: What Are Yours??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:51 pm
People who say, "I got your invitation, when's the wedding? " um, read the invitation.
People who call you for a phone number, and when you start to say it, they say, "one minute, let me get a pen" Can't Believe It At wits end

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:59 pm
singleagain wrote:
Depending on how often they do it... They either need to get their own Internet, offer to pay OP a portion of the bill .... Bc yes too many devices will slow it down . Or they should go the local library since they provide free internet and assistance.

I agree. They should ask permission and it shouldn't be a daily thing. But... Really what's the big deal. Also checking email and ordering on Amazon doesn't really slow down Wi-Fi in my experience... If they would be streaming movies in the driveway that would be a different story. Also I'm assuming the library is not on their block so going to a neighbor's driveway is just way easier.... Anyway that's besides the point. The point I was making is I don't think it's hypocritical to use the internet while parked in someone's driveway but not have it at home.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I agree. They should ask permission and it shouldn't be a daily thing. But... Really what's the big deal. Also checking email and ordering on Amazon doesn't really slow down Wi-Fi in my experience... If they would be streaming movies in the driveway that would be a different story. Also I'm assuming the library is not on their block so going to a neighbor's driveway is just way easier.... Anyway that's besides the point. The point I was making is I don't think it's hypocritical to use the internet while parked in someone's driveway but not have it at home.

Why isn't it hypocritical? You obviously aren't completely against internet.. so just get it and filter.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:15 pm
singleagain wrote:
Why isn't it hypocritical? You obviously aren't completely against internet.. so just get it and filter.

This isn't a question of a filter it's a question of having Wi-Fi in your home. Once you have Wi-Fi any unfiltered device can be connected....

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
This isn't a question of a filter it's a question of having Wi-Fi in your home. Once you have Wi-Fi any unfiltered device can be connected....

You can also put a filter on the entire Wi-Fi on the router.

ETA: You can also put a really strong password and just not give it out to anybody else. Then no one else can get on your Wi-Fi.

Sprinkles1

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:25 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
When I’m bentching or davening and can’t speak, and someone asks me a question that can’t be easily answered with a yes or no head shake.
You can see I can’t talk, how exactly are you expecting me to answer you??

Yes, and also when the dentist asks me questions with my mouth wide open while he is working on it! Like really, how does he expect me to answer? Rolling Eyes

Wolfsbane

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:29 pm
When people write "Kew Garden Hills" instead of "Kew Gardens Hills"

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:33 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
People who say, "I got your invitation, when's the wedding? " um, read the invitation.
People who call you for a phone number, and when you start to say it, they say, "one minute, let me get a pen" Can't Believe It At wits end

LOL LOL LOL

Sprinkles1

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:35 pm
NechaMom wrote:
*People who make a big deal about which side the fork or spoon was set. (Sorry, op but that’s a pet peeve of mine. )

Yes this! The whole 'table etiquette' thing is so ridiculous. Why cant everyone just set their table however they like? And why cant I hold the fork and knife in whichever hand is comfortable for me?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:35 pm
When my husband ( ha ) calls me ‘my wife’. As in telling my mother-in-law “let me ask my wife”…. I have a name and I’m more than just your wife.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:36 pm
amother Aconite wrote:

The big deal is being over two issurim. Gneiva and gnevas daas.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:36 pm
Wolfsbane wrote:
When people write "Kew Garden Hills" instead of "Kew Gardens Hills"

That reminds me: When people add ['s] at the end of the name of grocery stores that totally don't have it. e.g. 'Aldi's'

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:37 pm
My pet peeve...when my kids yell from upstairs and think I hear what they are saying.
(that's what happens when you move from a bi-level to a colonial. They used to be on the same floor as me all the time, and now they're not).

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:40 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
Yes this! The whole 'table etiquette' thing is so ridiculous. Why cant everyone just set their table however they like? And why cant I hold the fork and knife in whichever hand is comfortable for me?

I mean technically, those of us who married members of the left-handed species should set a table with the forks/knives/spoons placed from the perspective of the one who will be sitting there and using those utensils, no?

(Don't tell this to DH....I do like a uniformly set table.)

challah58

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:46 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:

But since when do pet peeves have to make sense? Table settings done improperly is one of mine also. Obviously, I'm not going to comment, but my fingers are always itching to flip the knife over so the blade faces to the plate 🙄
It's not even about etiquette btw, just looks wrong to me and I want to set it right. Same as you might have with crooked tablecloths or cabinet doors left open.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
So here's my pet peeve though clearly most people wouldn't agree.
Writing BDE on a thread about a death. I find the abbreviation so disrespectful to the dead and bereaved. You really can't type out the words?
It looks so cliched. So slang. Irreverent.

Omg I thought I was the only one. Glad to find someone else who feels this way!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:54 pm
Apostrophes. Everywhere. Anywhere. Usually where they don't belong. Makes me crazy!!

mommyla

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 4:03 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
That reminds me: When people add ['s] at the end of the name of grocery stores that totally don't have it. e.g. 'Aldi's'

Barnes & Nobles Can't Believe It

mommyla

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 4:03 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Apostrophes. Everywhere. Anywhere. Usually where they don't belong. Makes me crazy!!

And commas!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 4:09 pm
challah58 wrote:
But since when do pet peeves have to make sense? Table settings done improperly is one of mine also. Obviously, I'm not going to comment, but my fingers are always itching to flip the knife over so the blade faces to the plate 🙄
It's not even about etiquette btw, just looks wrong to me and I want to set it right. Same as you might have with crooked tablecloths or cabinet doors left open.

Same.
But it's more peevy (is that a word?) to me when it's a tablescape instagrammer, party planner or some hotsy totsy woman who prides herself on her own perfection.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette