Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Would hatzalah give hydration without going to hospital?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:09 pm
I'm pregnant and throwing up a lot. I'm in touch with my doctor, might end up needing hospital eventually but for now they said I'm OK to stay home. But I feel really bad and also nervous because I'm not able to get down very much liquid. It's getting late in the day, obviously I'll continue following up with my doctor as needed but just wondering if I am afraid of dehydration at night would hatzalah be able to give me iv hydration at home or would they need to take me to the hospital as well?

I'm located in far rockaway don't know if that makes a difference

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:11 pm
There are IV infusion companies that will come in and give you hydration at home.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:12 pm
Not usually. Can you be in touch with a hatzalah member you know in yout neighborhood that can answer if this is a possibility?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:15 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
Not usually. Can you be in touch with a hatzalah member you know in yout neighborhood that can answer if this is a possibility?

Was gonna ask the same question, do you know any hatzala members personally that you can call and ask? Cuz I know they do (I’m referring specifically to the RL hatzala, don’t know about other neighborhoods) But it’s usually under direction of your doctor..

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:15 pm
Yes. I've fainted during pregnancy and I was given IV. I told them I don't want to go to the hospital.
OP, start taking steps to avoid dehydration, especially if you know you're at risk. Drink alot of Gatorade.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:16 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There are IV infusion companies that will come in and give you hydration at home.

Pretty sure that's something that has to be set up in advance for an ongoing need, I'm looking for something to keep me safe until further notice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:

I don't know any personally so I was hoping maybe there's a wife on here or someone who had this need before and found out

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't know any personally so I was hoping maybe there's a wife on here or someone who had this need before and found out

I am a hatzala wife, and mine has definitely done many iv’s! Unfortunately he’s OOT right now. Is your doctor one of the popular ones around here who may have hatzala contacts? I know a lot of them do..

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:28 pm
My experience has been that you if have IV fluids they'll gladly hook it up for you but they don't always carry. And if you call them and they decide it's an emergency they're required to transport you in. Which is why it's better to call someone you know first if it's not urgent before calling the emergency number.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Pretty sure that's something that has to be set up in advance for an ongoing need, I'm looking for something to keep me safe until further notice

Not always. I work with nurses who work for these companies as a side gig. Some do one offs. Its trendy in certain circles.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Black wrote:
I am a hatzala wife, and mine has definitely done many iv’s! Unfortunately he’s OOT right now. Is your doctor one of the popular ones around here who may have hatzala contacts? I know a lot of them do..

My doctor is Bachman. I'm new to the area so I don't know about contacts and stuff. I'm waiting for him to call me back because I wanted to know if I can add antacids on top of the nausea meds but I'm going to ask about iv fluids too. Last time I talked to doc (his associate) a few hours ago she said as long as I have at least a half hour between drinking and vomiting that means liquids are getting absorbed and I'm not a hospital case yet, but I'm still worried because I'm too nauseous to drink much without triggering vomiting. So yes I'm able to go more than a half hour but it's very small amounts

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:36 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Not always. I work with nurses who work for these companies as a side gig. Some do one offs. Its trendy in certain circles.

Do you need a prescription from your regular doc? Is this covered by insurances? Anyone know a company that does this in far rockaway?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:38 pm
Yes, I have hg and I always start off with Hatzalah by every pregnancy before I have a nursing agency come 2x a week
Just so you know, IVs from a nursing company are way better

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:13 pm
If anyone knows a good nursing company for ivs in far rockaway please share.

Still waiting for Dr call back. I keep feeling like I'm going to start vomiting again even with only a few sips of water in my stomach

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Yes, I have hg and I always start off with Hatzalah by every pregnancy before I have a nursing agency come 2x a week
Just so you know, IVs from a nursing company are way better

How did you know when you needed that? I don't know if this is a one off or if I need to prepare for needing it more... I was OK until now and I hope this is just a passing bug but I don't know, I've been kind of borderline hg and until now (including previous pregnancy) zofran was enough to keep it under control. This is day 2 for me not being able to keep anything down at all and I'm already in 2nd tri

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:28 pm
Usually when I've needed IV fluids during pregnancy I've had DH bring me to the ER on a Sunday. We spend a few hours and then get sent home. Last pregnancy my electrolytes were all out of whack and they had me wear a heart monitor for a while as well. My OB was able to arrange for me to get IV fluids at home after my second ER trip. It was arranged through my insurance company and I believe the company that provided the nurses and equipment was Coram. By the way, once I no longer needed the fluids, Achiezer was very happy to take all my leftover unopened bags and equipment.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
How did you know when you needed that? I don't know if this is a one off or if I need to prepare for needing it more... I was OK until now and I hope this is just a passing bug but I don't know, I've been kind of borderline hg and until now (including previous pregnancy) zofran was enough to keep it under control. This is day 2 for me not being able to keep anything down at all and I'm already in 2nd tri

I have a whole other level of hg. I begin 24/7 hydration before the nausea even starts at about 5 weeks
Even with iv I can’t keep a morsel of food or water down for about 6 months. At all.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:01 pm
I asked my family member who is a Hatzolah member in Far Rockaway. He said they would give if you have a doctor’s prescription.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:50 pm
Thanks. Not sure how I'd get a doctor's prescription at this point...

Part of my wanting to avoid ER is the co-pays are massive. I'd really like to avoid that. I think it's something like 150 per trip and they probably also bill separately for anything they do for you there.

Meanwhile dh brought me Gatorade and even though I feel reeeeealy nauseous so far the few sips I had stayed down. Not sure how much more to risk...

Doctor hasn't called back yet.

So I guess I'll hang on for tomorrow and if I still can't eat or drink then doc would probably send me to the hospital anyway.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:56 pm
I live in Far Rockaway and had Hatzalah member give me IV in his home once. It had to be a medic if I remember correctly. A friend of ours on hatzalah hooked us up. If you call the main number it's possible they won't be able to do it without Dr prescription.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries