Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this ok (teacher’s language)
Previous  1  2

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:59 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
for saying shut your mouth?

Yes. It's just not ok to talk like that to students--or anyone. I have a child who had to switch to public school, and I felt so bad because I didn't realize until he switched (and I think he didn't either) how much regular emotional and verbal abuse the kids put up with in his former school.

While public school is permissive in a lot of social values that I wish they were more conservative on, the frum school was permissive on derech eretz matters in some ways I wish they weren't either.

And no, he's not in a bougie public school.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:02 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
It should be. If it isn't, that itself is a problem.

It's not ok in a public school. It would get one reprimanded if not fired in a public school.

Way worse is going on in public schools.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Way worse is going on in public schools.

Not from teachers. No way, jose. ( I won't comment on planet NYC, but for 99% of the rest of the US and canada, no way)

Are you in the public schools? Do you have a child in public schools?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 4:18 pm
I work in a public school in NJ. Teachers definitely speak like that. And scream at students, put them down etc. but if an administrator is made aware of that, they will speak to them and it helps-for some.
If I heard that my kid’s teacher spoke like that-I would call up the menahel…

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Bone wrote:
We had a high school teacher that used to scream at us "girls I'm going to make minced meat out of you if you don't behave."

And in the chassidishe chadarim, the boys usually do make minced meat out of the English teachers.

So if a boy constantly opens his chutzpadig mouth to a teacher, and the teacher loses himself and answers 'shut your mouth', I cant really blame him.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:20 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Not from teachers. No way, jose. ( I won't comment on planet NYC, but for 99% of the rest of the US and canada, no way)

I worked at a public school in Brooklyn. You don't want to know what came out of teachers mouths. And principals mouths.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Bone wrote:
I worked at a public school in Brooklyn. You don't want to know what came out of teachers mouths. And principals mouths.

I said not planet nyc.

Anywhere there are parents who actually speak up that will not fly—public school or anywhere

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:33 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:

I worked in a public school around 15 years ago and most of the teachers were refined catholic women who would never use such language so yes, I agree with you. It was in a poor neighborhood, too. The teachers traveled in from elsewhere.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:33 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
And in the chassidishe chadarim, the boys usually do make minced meat out of the English teachers.

So if a boy constantly opens his dirty, chutzpadig mouth to a teacher, and the teacher loses himself and answers 'shut your mouth', I cant really blame him.

I agreed with your post until you used the word dirty on a child’s mouth.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:36 pm
I wouldn’t make a huge deal of it, but I would let the rebbe know that, I’m sure he means well, but comments like shut your mouth are considered verbally abusive and dont sit well with parents.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
I agreed with your post until you used the word dirty on a child’s mouth.

Ok, you're right. I didnt mean it in the way its used in the outer world.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sorry I wasn’t clear. He was just imitating his teacher at home. To his siblings

That doesn’t matter.

It’s disrespectful. You should always encourage respect.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
That doesn’t matter.

It’s disrespectful. You should always encourage respect.

I don't think it's really disrespectful for kids to imitate their teachers at home. It's normal age appropriate behavior. We have to let our kids express themselves and their emotions, and this is an age appropriate way for kids to express themselves regarding their teachers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics