Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I'm a BT and can't really help kids with HW

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:14 pm
So I'm 25 years frum but didn't really learn much except here and there and 2 years in neve. I do know a lot, and I know Hebrew.

The problem is that when my dd 13 comes home with homework or exams, she needs to learn. I find that I can't help her. I'm always using translate or it 9 pages long about halacha or navi.

Bh, my dh can help as he is an ffb. But he's not always home nights cause of work and learning.

What can I do to help her and make me not feel like a 42 year old idiot.

esuss

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:20 pm
There is a number for children to call with any questions that they have with homework. The girls line is 845- 824-4757(82girls). There is a separate line for boys.

There are occasionally high school girls in the area that you can pay to do homework with your daughter. Probably less than a real tutor but should be able to do a good job. The local high school may be able to provide such a helper as part of their Chesed program.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:23 pm
Why is she not studying with friends? At the age of 13 I never did homework with my parents unless they needed to test me on spelling or something. I studied with classmates.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:25 pm
I'm ffb and can't really help my kids with hw. I went to a very low level school and their work is beyond me. I encourage them to study with friends and I can test them when the answers are there.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:27 pm
I have my kids over 10 call friends to study with them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 5:38 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'm not in the US or Israel. My older daughter could help them, but she herself has a ton of hw. It gets dark very early here, and I don't feel it's safe for her to go out, especially as we are not that close to her classmates. She has a twin sister so my dh can learn with both of them at the same time.

I have the same problem with chol. I finished school 30 years ago and can't wrap my head around common core math, and I'm weak with the language.

The school does help a few times a week with helping them on subjects that they need help with.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:33 pm
Get a tutor

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:48 pm
Don't have to go out to study😀 they can study on the phone (or parents can drive them back and forth to friend's house. Or invite friend to study)

Google for common core math! It's All online.

The hw hotline can help if you call at the right to be, don't know if that will is hell with your time zone.

My parents are BT and that never held me back BH

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:00 pm
For the common core math-- YOUTUBE. Seriously, it's a lifesaver. I am younger than you and remember the math but I have no blessed idea how they are teaching even subtraction.

For kodesh- I am an FFB daughter of two BTs. Who didnt go to Neve or any yeshiva. Firstly, get artscroll/feldheim etc books. My parents bought us a ton- those pink Nach sets, english/hebrew chumash with all the meforshim etc. It was fun to see what I had learned last year because each year brought us another few sefarim. They couldn't teach us stuff but they made it possible for us to learn. It honestly made me a better student and learner. I learned how to look things up, figure things out etc. And my parents learned along the way ...

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:02 pm
Don't feel guilty

If you were secular you would probably not be able to help your child with advanced mathematics or possibly a language or other subject.

Honestly by the time a child is 13, they generally are self sufficient and relying on friends or other sources for help with homework.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:07 pm
my dh who is a bt does my 4th grade daughter's hebrew homework. when she needed him to translate words I reached out to the teacher to ask her if my daughter is supposed to be able to do it on her own because that's what I view homework as. She said that she'll speak to my daughter and they figured out a plan so that my daughter won't need help with the vocabulary.

SG18

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:57 pm
She can do homework with friends on the phone. My parents are both FFB, and I still did this for years.

imaima

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 12:58 am
amother OP wrote:
So I'm 25 years frum but didn't really learn much except here and there and 2 years in neve. I do know a lot, and I know Hebrew.

The problem is that when my dd 13 comes home with homework or exams, she needs to learn. I find that I can't help her. I'm always using translate or it 9 pages long about halacha or navi.

Bh, my dh can help as he is an ffb. But he's not always home nights cause of work and learning.

Hire a tutor

Roots

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 1:16 am
im ffb but im american and my kids are israeli
I cant get through 5th grade geometry . I have no idea how to help them either
I let her figure it out
or call grandma to gelp her lol
can she call her grandma or grandpa to help her?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 5:03 am
amother OP wrote:

I’m ffb but wasn’t a good student. I can’t do a lot of the hmwk either.

Frumme

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 5:09 am
There's a limudei kodesh homework help group on FB where there are no stupid questions Smile

Maybe Yael can add a new group or someone can start a homework help thread.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 5:11 am
amother Wheat wrote:
I’m ffb but wasn’t a good student. I can’t do a lot of the hmwk either.

Same… I didn’t realize how it would affect me so many years later. I can help them until 6th grade and then I find the work too hard for me- including math.
My problem is that my high school daughter refuses a tutor. She says that in the past the tutors would ask her what the teacher said… if she knew what the teachers said she wouldn’t need a tutor!
I do wish I could help her without much effort.
I think school pressure is really too much these days.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:03 am
Frumme wrote:
There's a limudei kodesh homework help group on FB where there are no stupid questions Smile

Maybe Yael can add a new group or someone can start a homework help thread.

Sounds interesting. What's the name of the group?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics