Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Finkelstein Memorial Library in Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:07 pm
Do they have kids' books? Amelia Bedelia? How many books are able to be checked out at once and how long before they need to be returned?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:10 pm
They have a huge area of childrens books, and a huge selection of Jewish books (ask for the traditional section).
I believe you can take out up to 50 books per library card

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do they have kids' books? Amelia Bedelia? How many books are able to be checked out at once and how long before they need to be returned?

You can check the catalogue on their website but they have a nice selection of books, including Jewish books. I would assume they have Amelia bedelia.

The rest of your questions can found on their website. Are you not able to access it?

As a side note, if you live in Wesley Hills, they have a drop off box by their town hall and an option to pick up books that are put on hold in that building if you call up and ask. You wouldn't even need to step into the library if you put books on hold.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:44 pm
This is the most amazing library! They have everything, if not on the shelves you can reserve it. They even have frum DVDs and music CDs! We reserve the latest frum kids books and my kids sit and read all Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 12:07 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
This is the most amazing library! They have everything, if not on the shelves you can reserve it. They even have frum DVDs and music CDs! We reserve the latest frum kids books and my kids sit and read all Shabbos.

How do you know what you’re able to reserve? And why does it need to be reserved? Is it not on the shelves?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:36 am
amother Grape wrote:

As a side note, if you live in Wesley Hills, they have a drop off box by their town hall and an option to pick up books that are put on hold in that building if you call up and ask. You wouldn't even need to step into the library if you put books on hold.

How do you pick up books there? When I place a book on hold I have options to choose from for the pickup location, but I don’t see Wesley Hills there. How do you do it?
Thank you!

Highstrung

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:55 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you know what you’re able to reserve? And why does it need to be reserved? Is it not on the shelves?

There are lots of people who take out books and they keep them for weeks on end. If you reserve the books they notify you when it’s available for you to pick it up. Sometimes it’s on shelf and they’ll call you right away.
It’s a great service.
They have a very nice childrens book section. Also because they are part of a larger system of other libraries when you reserve a book they sometimes bring the book from a different location even if they themselves don’t put it on their shelf.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 10:04 pm
amother Navy wrote:
How do you pick up books there? When I place a book on hold I have options to choose from for the pickup location, but I don’t see Wesley Hills there. How do you do it?
Thank you!

AFAIK you can only pick up from the library itself.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

You can check online, or check the computer catalog at the library itself if you don't have access.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 11:39 pm
Best library! They have a huge Jewish selection and non Jewish. We go about every two weeks and take out 50-60 books. Mix of Jewish and non Jewish. They allow 50 per card at a time. I use more than on r card if I need to. I also check my account online all the time and can see what's out, reserve books, and pay fine there. I check before I go to ensure my cards are in good working order.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:26 pm
Sounds amazing! I need to go pick up my card.
How long are you able to keep books for?

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:45 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Thank you!

Call up their regular number and hit extension 250 and tell them that you want to pick it up at Wesley Hills town hall. You need to call the day before you want to pick it up. Officially the book is available the next day after 2pm in that location. They'll ask you for your library card (which I had auto saved on their website on my phone).

In the center entrance, you walk in and they have this electronic locker system which you either scan the bar code of your library card or enter I think the last 6 digits. The instructions are given. The locker then automatically opens up and wala your books are there...

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sounds amazing! I need to go pick up my card.
How long are you able to keep books for?

Most are a month I think. Some are less and they are marked in ith 14 or 7 day. Videos are a week I believe. They also have all the Jewish kids dvd. (Uncle moishy, agent emes, etc)

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:46 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
AFAIK you can only pick up from the library itself.

Nope see my post above.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Call up their regular number and hit extension 250 and tell them that you want to pick it up at Wesley Hills town hall. You need to call the day before you want to pick it up. Officially the book is available the next day after 2pm in that location. They'll ask you for your library card (which I had auto saved on their website on my phone).

In the center entrance, you walk in and they have this electronic locker system which you either scan the bar code of your library card or enter I think the last 6 digits. The instructions are given. The locker then automatically opens up and wala your books are there...

I didn't know that, interesting! I don't live in Wesley Hills though. But it's good to know.

schoolbus

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:42 am
Anyone knows what the fee is if you return a book after the due date?

Highstrung

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:53 am
schoolbus wrote:

.10 cents a day for adult books. I
Don’t know if they still charge fines for childrens books.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:54 am
schoolbus wrote:

I think that if you return it to a drop box they waive the fee. Not sure. But I saw a sign to that effect.

schoolbus

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:04 am
Thank you

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:15 am
amother Orchid wrote:
I think that if you return it to a drop box they waive the fee. Not sure. But I saw a sign to that effect.

I think that was just while they were repaving parking lot
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room