Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can I stay on medicaid until after giving birth?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:05 am
I graduated college and bh started at my first job recently. I am currently on medicaid which is set to expire in the summer. I will be eligible to enroll in my workplaces insurance in another 2 months (you need to work a minimum length of time before joining). I just found out that I am pregnant, and im not sure how to go about picking a doctor, insurance etc. Am I able to stay on medicaid for an extra two months after it expires due to pregnancy? My income is now above the limit, but I was wondering if there’s a stipulation that I can’t be kicked off during pregnancy. If I switch to my workplace insurance, I don’t even benefit from having private insurance because I need to use a doctor that takes medicaid to get care during the first trimester. Any advice?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:06 am
Yes but that’s only if you inform them that you’re pregnant before they kick you off. So make sure you do that asap.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:09 am
Tell them youre pregnant asap and youre covered until birth regardless of income

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:47 am
Medicaid might have changed since I was on it 5 years ago, but when you are pregnant your income guidelines account for a +1 in terms of eligibility. Things likely changed during covid, but those changes might be ending as Covid "ends" and might be a state-by-state guideline.

As long as you keep continuous coverage, it should not be considered a "pre-existing condition"

Just make sure the doctor & hospital you want to use are covered by Medicaid, different places work differently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics