Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Soup for Shaloch Manos
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:40 am
I'm thinking to do soup for shalach manos this year. Does anyone have a good soup recipe? What else I should give with it? A nice way to package it all up

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:47 am
I was thinking of giving a pumpkin soup with croutons and cheese and pumpkin seeds with a roll or something but I don't think I will because I am not sure about the logistics of giving it warm etc. and we don't have a car.

You can package the soup in a paper soup bowl with a plastic lid. It comes in gorgeous designs or kraft paper in my local disposable store.

Then I would stack the toppings in small containers on top and tie it all with a ribbon or I would stack the soup on a compartment container with the toppings inside.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:49 am
Make absolutely certain that whatever you use to package it isn't going to leak.

You can send it with a handful of croutons, or some crusty bread, or a salad.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:49 am
Garlic knots, tie and spoon and nice napkin with it also

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:55 am
Only if you think you can deliver hot. I once got cold soup from mm, it looked so unappetizing, it went straight to the garbage!

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:57 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Only if you think you can deliver hot. I once got cold soup from mm, it looked so unappetizing, it went straight to the garbage!

I don't understand this. Heat it up, stir it, and try it. How are people supposed to deliver hot soup?

I love getting soup!

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:57 am

Real shame. I would have popped it in the microwave or warmed it on the stove. It literally takes 5 mins.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:59 am
I am thinking perhaps I should go back to this idea...

I was debating between baking babka or soup with toppings but if I see too many reply with not wanting cold soup, I think I will stick to boring babka.

hiitsme

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:16 pm
How about putting it in a microwave proof container? Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Storage.....;th=1
And than you can add "instructions" saying to just heat it in the microwave

hiitsme

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:17 pm
I'd probably go for a bit of a bigger size.
https://www.amazon.com/Storage.....;th=1

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:19 pm

Sorry to ask you but it didn't cross your mind to try heat it up and then decide if it was worth to keep or ditch?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:23 pm
We get quite a few and yes it looks unappetizing when it's cold, especially the blended soups that separate a bit. That's not really the issue for me though, I know it could taste good if I warm it up I'm just not going to get to eat them all in the day or 2 following Purim. It's a snack or an appetizer for one person not a full meal and who has time to warm up a snack and the time it takes to sit and eat it. They go in the fridge with the thought that someone might have one but usually I end up tossing most if not all a few days later.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:27 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
We get quite a few and yes it looks unappetizing when it's cold, especially the blended soups that separate a bit. That's not really the issue for me though, I know it could taste good if I warm it up I'm just not going to get to eat them all in the day or 2 following Purim. It's a snack or an appetizer for one person not a full meal and who has time to warm up a snack and the time it takes to sit and eat it. They go in the fridge with the thought that someone might have one but usually I end up tossing most if not all a few days later.

Lucky you!

I have never gotten a soup before.

Can you share packaging ideas of those MM you received?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:33 pm
My family loves getting soup and especially if it comes with a roll. On Shushan Purim everyone who is home for lunch picks one from the fridge, heats it up, and it their lunch. Just make sure to write on the container whether it is milchig, fleishig or parve (or parve soup cooked in fleishig keilim, etc., so people know how to heat it.

These containers work well: https://www.amazon.com/Freshwa.....r=8-1

In terms of packaging, put the container on the bottom of a cellophane bag, with a label on the container saying what it is and from who, and then top with a roll or croutons or crackers in a separate bag or saran wrap, which is placed on top of the soup container. Then close up the cellophane bag and tie with a pretty ribbon.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm thinking to do soup for shalach manos this year. Does anyone have a good soup recipe? What else I should give with it? A nice way to package it all up

Depends who your recipients are. Do they eat the same hechsherim as you? (yes we have seen it's a real issue)
Are you giving to people who do eat in your house?
They have allergies or not?

If you are planning to send MM on imamother I would really hesitate.
Based on the responses here a majority ditch their MM straight into the garbage. Everything is yuck unappetizing and unhygienic and smashed and mashed and has been left out from the fridge five minutes and full of germs and your kids with their snotty noses have been touching that unhealthy homemade sugarloaded junk with their filthy fingers.
There. I said it.
Awaiting the flying tomatoes.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

The dollar store has these glass jars with lids on it-- https://www.dollartree.com/lat.....07313

Or this from walmart-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gol.....aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gol.....aw.ds

A vegetable soup like minestrone works. just as long as it doesnt have any chicken or meat in it to ensure it doesnt get spoiled. Add a small roll or some garlic knots on top and you are good to go.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:44 pm
Wow I'm surprised to see so many negative responses about soup. Especially the one who said she throws cold soup straight in the garbage. Gulp gulp gulp. Deep breathe, it's not personal. I make a delicious split pea vegie soup, spend who knows how long peeling and dicing all those vegies. And yes it's cold because I'm not doing that the day of Purim. I thought it was the most amazing thing to give because it's hearty, healthy, filling, delicious on a day when people don't sit for a real meal until the afternoon. I usually gets positive feedback about it, and although my husband discourages me from doing it every year due to how time consuming it is, I push through because I think it's so great to have on purim. Wondering if I should take the above comments seriously and give a Danish. I want to continue doing what I'm doing and I hope my friends and acquaintances have the decency to heat it up and enjoy (even though I'll eat it cold Smile

scruffy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:46 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Wow I'm surprised to see so many negative responses about soup. Especially the one who said she throws cold soup straight in the garbage. Gulp gulp gulp. Deep breathe, it's not personal. I make a delicious split pea vegie soup, spend who knows how long peeling and dicing all those vegies. And yes it's cold because I'm not doing that the day of Purim. I thought it was the most amazing thing to give because it's hearty, healthy, filling, delicious on a day when people don't sit for a real meal until the afternoon. I usually gets positive feedback about it, and although my husband discourages me from doing it every year due to how time consuming it is, I push through because I think it's so great to have on purim. Wondering if I should take the above comments seriously and give a Danish. I want to continue doing what I'm doing and I hope my friends and acquaintances have the decency to heat it up and enjoy (even though I'll eat it cold Smile

I love getting soup! It literally takes five minutes to heat up and it's a great lunch either on Purim, or I'll use at work during the next week

I would be really happy to get your MM

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:46 pm
I did soup and breadsticks one year and it was yummy and appreciated but logistically challenging. It was a year I was giving to few people and could time my delivery for the most part. Now that I have a wider social circle I could never pull it off.

I think plastic deli containers are the only really leak- safe packaging.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:

What kind of feed back are you getting?

I would so appreciate your soup.

Why don't you make an easier soup which doesn't necessitate you spending so much time chopping?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics