Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How to find MM everyone will like
1  2  3  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:07 pm
(Taken from my post on another thread)

How to find a mishloach manos that everyone will like?

You can't. There is always someone who will say she tosses it immediately because it's:

- unappetizing looking (to them)
- cold
- maybe it's been out all day, who knows? Don't want to risk it.
- Maybe a kid touched it.
- Maybe it was sneezed on? Just the thought of it grosses me out!
- It's POISON!! (ie, it's candy)
- It's a poppy seed homentashen
- Don't trust the kashrus
- Maybe it was re-gifted, can't tell --> don't trust the kashrus
- a card stating tzedakkah was given in my name --> don't choose for me who to give tzedakkah to!

I've seen all of these and more here... so you really can't win. Just give out what you yourself would be happy to receive and call it a day.

There was recently a facebook thread in a massive group asking for "winning mm ideas" or something like that. For each person who loves to get salad and/or veg and dips, there is someone who tosses it because it's been outside for too long, or even potentially has been. For each person who loves homemade babka, someone else said they toss anything homemade no matter what... so on and so forth. I see it here every year too.

I'm so happy to get anything honestly, and someone in my house will enjoy it. I fight my kids for their laffy taffys (not yellow or grape!). My teenage daughter LOVES homemade food. I love soup, veg, whatever. My husband loves the one sandwich we get sometimes. My boys love chips and juice/drinks. I hope others are the same.

So my winning idea? Give what you yourself would be thrilled to receive and give it with a full heart.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:09 pm
Yes! Yes! Yes! To me it is the thought that counts so we focus on quantity over quality. It's nice to be thought about.

Surrendered

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:10 pm
Sparkling grape juice/bar of chocolate, in an organza bag

Surrendered

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:11 pm
3 sectional container filled with 3 things- chocolate, nuts, candy

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:12 pm
I get such boring foods.

Store bought chocolates and loads of liquer and beer, wine and grape juice.

I appreciate anything really but I love getting homemade!

Usually, we only get things from people we know well so I know what their hygien and kashrus standards are.

Nuts and dried fruit are so overdone and expensive and time consuming to package but people are scared to give anything else....

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:17 pm
I love getting baked goods. I think a lot of people do.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I get such boring foods.

Store bought chocolates and loads of liquer and beer, wine and grape juice.

I appreciate anything really but I love getting homemade!

Usually, we only get things from people we know well so I know what their hygien and kashrus standards are.

Nuts and dried fruit are so overdone and expensive and time consuming to package but people are scared to give anything else....

LOL! You just helped me make my point! You get boring food, overdone food, etc. Can't please everyone, so just give what you like to get.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:22 pm
watergirl wrote:
LOL! You just helped me make my point! You get boring food, overdone food, etc. Can't please everyone, so just give what you like to get.

No worries, we like those too!

But I like homemade better.

It's ok to have a preferance!

I am not throwing the chocolates and nuts out just because I like the other things better!

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:22 pm
Who are you people giving to already? All the people I have on my list I know personally and I know they’ll appreciate my home baked goods. Teachers and rebbis get a sparkling grape juice and a check.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:25 pm
I don't think my homemade truffles, each one stuffed with a 100 dollar bill (plastic wrapped) would even make it. Not way. Not in Imamothers world.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:25 pm
I agree watergirl. Just send what you think is nice & don't overthink. It's not your problem if the recipient doesn't like it. It's the thought that counts. I'm so touched to receive mm, I honestly don't care what's inside.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:26 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
No worries, we like those too!

But I like homemade better.

It's ok to have a preferance!

I am not throwing the chocolates and nuts out just because I like the other things better!

Of course it's ok to have a preference! And do what you want with what you get!

The point of this thread is because this is the time of the year MM threads are popping up and for each person who asks about soup or veg or babka, there are people who are going to comment in those threads that they hate that and toss it right away. So I was putting my thoughts on the matter, which is that there is no way to make everyone happy and do what you like. Smile

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:38 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I love getting baked goods. I think a lot of people do.

And I always wonder why people waste their time baking. I get so grossed out from other people's baked goods.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:46 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
And I always wonder why people waste their time baking. I get so grossed out from other people's baked goods.

Why?
I guess the baked goods you buy isn't gross so how come MM baked goods is?
What's the difference?

egam

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:47 pm
watergirl wrote:
(Taken from my post on another thread)

So my winning idea? Give what you yourself would be thrilled to receive and give it with a full heart.

This is a brilliant idea. And if you have some undistributed MMs, you are left with things you like.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:

Because baking is cheaper than buying.
I can send a challa and mini grape juice - beautiful, bakavodik and affordable.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:53 pm
I love baked goods mishloach manos!

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:

Because so many people love it. You don't, that's ok, but it doesn't by any stretch mean everyone agrees with you.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:06 pm
watergirl wrote:
Because so many people love it. You don't, that's ok, but it doesn't by any stretch mean everyone agrees with you.

Agreed. That's what is interesting about this thread. To see that everyone likes something different. And everyone should give what they prefer...it's my choice what I do with it.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:59 am
Agree we can't satisfy everyone.

1.most people who you don't know well, won't take your baked goods. Included in this list are teachers, rabbi/rebetzin, people that have higher standard then you.
2. Chocolate, is a big hit. Chocolate is always appreciated. It's something your more likely to appreciate receiving. (I love those really expensive ones that I would never add to my shopping list.) Or repackage as a gift. I save all the kosher for passover ones for pesach.

3. People like variety. If it works for you to do something that's not so common in your neighborhood or circle of friends your mishloach man's will be remembered positively.

No one wants to receive 10 babka's with 4 weeks to pesach. Or so much candy that their fillings are falling out. Thus is the most tricky one.

Sometimes people get 10 of the same item because that was on sale in the purim circular.

If every grocery is putting Carmel popcorn on sale your better off buying something cheaper that not on sale.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics