Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
PSA please label your MM
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:28 pm
I have multiple allergies in my house, particularly to peanuts and nuts.
Please, please, please.
If you send baked goods, please include a note stating what allergic foods are in or not.
If you have loose chocolate, please let us know if it's chocolate covered almonds or chocolate covered raisins.
It's such a shame to have to throw out that babka because I can't tell if it's cinnamon or cinnamon/nut and I can't risk it hurting my child.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:29 pm
I would be afraid of cross contamination either way

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:32 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I would be afraid of cross contamination either way

If there's no nuts, I can have it in my house. My allergic kids are teens who won't just eat it.
But if it has nuts, I can't have it in the house

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:41 pm
Baked goods with almond milk would be an allergy issue?

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

Not op, but yes, that would be a problem for someone with a tree nut allergy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

For my kids, they wouldn't react to the smell. And id possibly taste a bit and taste no nuts, and then the child is on the way to the emergency room.
In some ways, almond milk is even more insidious because it's everywhere. A plain sprinkle cookie

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:52 pm
and please don't send loose nuts!

Then it contaminates other items.

All nuts should be packaged please.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:52 pm
Wow thank you for sharing, I use almond milk in my baked good for every single Purim 🙈

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:04 pm
Don’t keep anything that isn’t in original wrappers. You can’t trust that it’s not cross contaminated. People don’t understand and it’s way too risky for you to take the chance. I would not trust personal labels. Assume it’s all full of allergens.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:11 pm
We have allergies in the house and we will not keep anything that is not in closed packaging and clearly labeled with its ingredients. I’m really sorry, and I feel so bad , but I can’t risk our safety.
If it’s in a bag together with nuts, it goes too, even if the item itself is safe.
I usually make a box and give it to a friend or neighbor who I know will appreciate it.
The funny thing is that most people who give us mm are aware of the allergy situation, but I’ve realized that anyone who doesn’t live it will not get it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:18 pm
If you have allergies in the house, I'd just toss anything that's not in the original wrapper. Rather safe than sorry.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
If you have allergies in the house, I'd just toss anything that's not in the original wrapper. Rather safe than sorry.

You may want to try to give it to someone who can eat it.
But if you for some reason don't have *anyone* who's interested/willing to take it your reason is totally valid.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:00 pm
I would pack up the suspect items and bring them to my work or give them to dh to bring to his. Unless, of course, we worked in a nut-free workplace, which we don't. (This is fortunate for any number of coworkers who would be out of a job if they insisted on a "nut"-free workplace.)

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:05 pm
Same situation. We end up throwing things out every year because of airborne allergies and not knowing.

naomi2

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 6:03 pm
I'm really so sorry about your children having allergies, it must be extremely difficult.
It is not everyone else's responsibility to caution you or label their mm. You will just have to throw anything out that is unlabeled or loose.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:30 pm
We sometimes include items with nuts in our m"m, but no one on our list has nut allergies in their families. We always point out if something is dairy or if it contains nut/seeds, but I don't think that's really enough for a person who is highly allergic. Even if the baked goods or cooked items we send don't technically contain any nuts, they're coming out of a kitchen that is definitely not nut-free.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:41 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I'm really so sorry about your children having allergies, it must be extremely difficult.
It is not everyone else's responsibility to caution you or label their mm. You will just have to throw anything out that is unlabeled or loose.

It would be nice in the case of a mild allergy but doesn’t help at all if the allergy is severe. I also think it’s the parents responsibility either way.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:04 pm
Most people know not to give me anything with peanuts or nuts. If I'm not sure if something is safe, I ask. We regift almost all chocolate and ask about homemade goodies. I dealt with allergies for 16 years and can remember every dangerous shalach manos. As long as chocolate is wrapped, I could regift, so that doesn't concern me. Last year, someone gave me a fancy shalach manos with peanuts. I asked if it's nut free, and left it at work when she said no. One time there were loose nuts so I dumped the whole thing. Another time, there was a peanut butter brownie. Dh noticed it right away and took it outside. Most people know not to give nuts.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:20 am
naomi2 wrote:

If you want them to enjoy it then you label it.
If I get a homemade kugel I want to know if it's dairy or parve.

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:03 am
We don't use any home-baked goods. I feel.sorry for the sender. I give it all away to my cleaning help or to someone that sometimes picks it all up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics