Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Soup for Shaloch Manos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Wow I'm surprised to see so many negative responses about soup. Especially the one who said she throws cold soup straight in the garbage. Gulp gulp gulp. Deep breathe, it's not personal. I make a delicious split pea vegie soup, spend who knows how long peeling and dicing all those vegies. And yes it's cold because I'm not doing that the day of Purim. I thought it was the most amazing thing to give because it's hearty, healthy, filling, delicious on a day when people don't sit for a real meal until the afternoon. I usually gets positive feedback about it, and although my husband discourages me from doing it every year due to how time consuming it is, I push through because I think it's so great to have on purim. Wondering if I should take the above comments seriously and give a Danish. I want to continue doing what I'm doing and I hope my friends and acquaintances have the decency to heat it up and enjoy (even though I'll eat it cold Smile

Meh. You can't win on imamother with any mm idea. There is always someone who will say she tosses it immediately because it's:

- unappetizing looking
- cold
- maybe it's been out all day, who knows? Don't want to risk it.
- Maybe a kid touched it.
- Maybe it was sneezed on? Just the thought of it grosses me out!
- It's POISON!! (ie, it's candy)
- Don't trust the kashrus
- Maybe it was re-gifted, can't tell --> don't trust the kashrus
- a card stating tzedakkah was given in my name --> don't choose for me who to give tzedakkah to!

I've seen all of these and more here... so you really can't win. Just give out what you yourself would be happy to receive and call it a day.

Golde

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:53 pm
I love soup and would absolutely love, love, love to get that as mishloach manot!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:59 pm
Ice cream containers work well for soup too...as spill proof as you can get without resorting to tupperware.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:07 pm
I've never done soup but I have gotten it a few times and can tell you how they did it:

1. Made an orange blended soup in advance, froze in 16 oz deli containers. Took out of the freezer either the night before or really early that morning and delivered cold. Had a roll in a bag on top of the container.

2. Made a chicken soup the night before in a crock pot, cooked it all night and when peopel came to the door ladeled their portion into deli containers and handed out with a roll.

3. Made mushroom barely soup, prob the day before. Had simmering really low on the stove and portioned it out when people came into those carboard soup containers. Gave with crackers or something.

#3 was my favorite of all 3 as it was Pareve, ready to eat and filling. #2 is similar except that I personally don't like eating hot things from plastic containers (for health reasons) and I don't want to be fleishig before the seudah. My daughter had no issue with either of those though and drank it on the spot. We saved the challah roll for shabbos. #1 is the most practical for the giver (assuming enough fridge/freezer space to store in advance) as they don't need to ladle out the soup on the spot and easier to transport when delivering. I enjoyed that soup a different day, once heated up.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:10 pm
see this link from Esther O
https://estherodesign.com/blog....._ss=r

I got this from a friend last year. It was a zuchinni soup with croutons tied around the neck of the bottle. The croutons were in a test tube with a cork but any sealed bag can also work.
looked nice and tasted delicious. There was a note on the label that the bottle wasn't microwave safe so I poured it in a bowl to heat up.

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:12 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Only if you think you can deliver hot. I once got cold soup from mm, it looked so unappetizing, it went straight to the garbage!

I’m guilty of throwing out some homemade mm but I wouldn’t throw out soup because it’s cold….

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:18 pm
scruffy wrote:
I love getting soup! It literally takes five minutes to heat up and it's a great lunch either on Purim, or I'll use at work during the next week

I would be really happy to get your MM

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. I'd love to send you one Smile

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:20 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Depends who your recipients are. Do they eat the same hechsherim as you? (yes we have seen it's a real issue)
Are you giving to people who do eat in your house?
They have allergies or not?

If you are planning to send MM on imamother I would really hesitate.
Based on the responses here a majority ditch their MM straight into the garbage. Everything is yuck unappetizing and unhygienic and smashed and mashed and has been left out from the fridge five minutes and full of germs and your kids with their snotty noses have been touching that unhealthy homemade sugarloaded junk with their filthy fingers.
There. I said it.
Awaiting the flying tomatoes.

We actually eat almost all the MM received it’s just soup that rarely gets eaten and then salads or a sandwich if get too many since they’re so perishable. We LOVE baked good. Most come packaged well, I freeze them individually and put them in a big bag and my family takes them for yummy snack for the next few days. Most non perishable items and candy gets eaten over the next 2 week until it’s too close to Pesach I need my kitchen back so it gets sent to dh’s work.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Iris wrote:
What kind of feed back are you getting?

I would so appreciate your soup.

Why don't you make an easier soup which doesn't necessitate you spending so much time chopping?

I've only gotten positive positive positive feedback. I will take comments on imamother with a grain of salt Smile
I make the soup from by cookbook because it's delicious, loaded with protein, you feel full etc. It's my labor of love and I so enjoy it ❤️

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:32 pm
scruffy wrote:
I love getting soup! It literally takes five minutes to heat up and it's a great lunch either on Purim, or I'll use at work during the next week

I would be really happy to get your MM
[I]

Me too

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:46 pm
I'm mother sandybrown from above.
I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.
I should add that from someone I knew very well maybe I wouldn't have minded.
Cld soup was from the house of one of my student (I'm a playgroup morah)and that student was most often than , not very put together....to say it nicely!
Maybe that's why it was unappealing to me!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:09 pm
My neighbor gives out soup in mason jars, with a challah roll wrapped in plastic attached to the lid. It’s very pretty.

egam

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:45 pm
I sent soup one year with homemade breadsticks. I used pint plastic containers from Restaurant Depo and got narrow plastic from Amazing Savings for breadsticks. Got lots of exited messages back. I made 2 types of soups - zucchini and pumpkin and gave people a choice. But only because I needed two batches to have enough MMs

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:52 am
not sure if someone already commented with this, but you can write "Have a soup-er purim!" on your label. LOL

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:00 am
In my community I don't think anyone gives soup.
But I would be happy to get it even if I have to warm it up. Yum
Much better than pareve chocolate

mandr

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:01 am
I don’t like receiving homemade foods on Purim so no I am not giving any. Who knows how long it sat in someone’s car. My friend told me she makes Cole slaw and lover every year and it sits in her car all day. So if you get her MM at 5 pm or even 9 pm ewwwwww.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:59 am
Adding some love for real homemade MM food. I love other people's food! It makes me feel so cared for! So much more appreciated than throwing together a bunch of bought stuff. So you have enough money to buy the fancier chocolate? Wow. Good for you.
It seems from my time on Ima is that the only way to know if people won"t dump your homemade stuff is to ask. If you're not close enough to ask them, you don't really need to be giving them MM anyway.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:27 am
You can also ask your local grocery to sell you some soup containers. I would arrange that for you if you came to my store and asked.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:12 am
I did it a few times. Either in bottles like this with pretty labels and they looked stunning.

Help me decide on this product: Juice Bottles with Caps for Juicing & Smoothies, Reusable Clear Empty Plastic Bottles with Caps, 16 Ounce Drink Containers for Mini Fridge, Juicer Shots, Small Water Bottles Bulk 16 oz (12 Pack) https://a.co/d/8BEM6Qz

https://estherodesign.com/blog.....-soup

I put it on clear container with clear square containers of croutons and garlic knots.

Or in a deli container wrapped in a Pretty napkin with soup crock of garlic knots. Like this:

https://estherodesign.com/blog.....manot

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:22 am
amother Indigo wrote:
I did it a few times. Either in bottles like this with pretty labels and they looked stunning.

Help me decide on this product: Juice Bottles with Caps for Juicing & Smoothies, Reusable Clear Empty Plastic Bottles with Caps, 16 Ounce Drink Containers for Mini Fridge, Juicer Shots, Small Water Bottles Bulk 16 oz (12 Pack) https://a.co/d/8BEM6Qz

https://estherodesign.com/blog.....-soup

I put it on clear container with clear square containers of croutons and garlic knots.

Or in a deli container wrapped in a Pretty napkin with soup crock of garlic knots. Like this:

https://estherodesign.com/blog.....manot

What sort of soup crock?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics