Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Urgent! Please help me find a yeshiva for my son
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:21 pm
Recommend Yeshiva Gedolah of Mill Basin, Rav Brick is Rosh Yeshiva. It's located in Brooklyn, very warm environment and works with many types of boys.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:24 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Quote:

If your open to dorming I heard fantastic things about Rupps yeshiva derech ha torah

I looked into this briefly for my son and heard the same.

The other schools I heard about to look into (although I really have no information) are Norfolk, Richmond, possibly Englewood

ETA: Rupp's yeshiva is in Chicago

I thought Rupps was only 10th grade and up?

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I thought Rupps was only 10th grade and up?

It is. Is OP looking for the next school year or to start asap?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:33 pm
Op, based on what you wrote, I think you really DO need to send your son away. You don’t realize by reasons you listed to keep him home that for those reasons alone you should send him away. He needs to grow up and develop independence. You are stifling him by not sending him to Yeshiva and keeping him home. If your husband believes it’s wrong you should ask a shaila when you’ve found an appropriate place. Remember, the end result you want is an emotionally stable person with yiras shamayim. For that he needs a good yeshiva environment.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:05 pm
Breuer’s in Manhattan ?
From what I understand, it’s not special Ed …. But they work w/ boys who never figured out how to learn Gemara well
Also chilled out environment.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:12 pm
What about the yeshiva in West Bloomfield, MI. Not sure of the name exactly. It used to be in Toledo, OH.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:13 pm
I may be totally off base here, but what about MTJ in Manhattan?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:16 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Recommend Yeshiva Gedolah of Mill Basin, Rav Brick is Rosh Yeshiva. It's located in Brooklyn, very warm environment and works with many types of boys.

Isn't it only for post-high school boys? OP said her son would only be in 9th grade.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
From someone who made the mistake:

Do everything in your power to keep your older child in a mainstream environment. I'm specifically talking about older kids not young kids till 1st or 2nd grade. Special ed services in the frum community are heavily utilized by very very extreme cases and its a difficult environment to find success in older children. It is WAY better to be in a regular environment with support.

Yes. I’m with u on that mistake. Unfortunately I ignored the red flags for too long when he was struggling in the You her years and by the time he got to 4th grade it was emergency and it took too long to remedy and now I’m at this point where he was not properly prepared for the transition. I echo You for anyone else reading this, if your child needs help, evaluate as babies do ei, center based cpse and then mainstream if possible! It’s much easier to suffer the “self imposed” stigma than do this to your teenager.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:24 pm
If your only issue with Nesivos Chaim is that they are closing you may as well send him there now on a temporary basis while you look for somewhere else. It is always better for him to be somewhere. Every day that he isn't can cause problems. Also for the purpose of applying elsewhere you are better off saying that he is in school.

If they are anyway looking to close and only have three boys in the whole ninth and tenth grade I can't imagine they will give you a hard time if you tell them that he is only going there until you find somewhere else.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:25 pm
By your overall background and description of your DS, sounds like Shaarei Arazim would be a good fit.

Definitely worth going to meet the Menahel in Monsey and see what you think.

They come home often enough and its not that far from Brooklyn…

Going away could shape him in so many of the ways that he sounds like he needs.

Not just in learning-which they can and do, but socially… in age appropriate life skills.

Please consider it.

Much hatzlacha and nachas..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:25 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Besides finding the right place for your son, I'm worried about getting him accepted if you're planning to try to get him in mid-year. I had a teenage son who switched to a new yeshiva in high school and it was a disaster.

We identified several places that seemed like much better fits, but most of them wouldn't even talk to us mid-year, not wanting to rock the boat with class stability in the middle of a school year. You can definitely try, but it may end up being more realistic to get him accepted to a place for next year and keep him home until then, trying to tutor and bring him up as much as possible learningwise and socially in the interim.

Yea. This is working against us as well. I’m well aware of how bad this looks. And I’m completely open to homeschooling the rest of the year as long as he’s accepted in the right place for next BH

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yea. This is working against us as well. I’m well aware of how bad this looks. And I’m completely open to homeschooling the rest of the year as long as he’s accepted in the right place for next BH

Not a good idea.

The right place for your son, if you can find, is a place that will accept him now.

Please do not keep him home! The setback is too costly and the catch up too great…

See couple of posts above about Shaarei Arazim…

happy12

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:36 pm
I would look into Nesivas Chaim for this current year. The Rabbiem are very caring and he will at least have some social life.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Not a good idea.

The right place for your son, if you can find, is a place that will accept him now.

Please do not keep him home! The setback is too costly and the catch up too great…

See couple of posts above about Shaarei Arazim…

I meant as a worst case scenario

How much is Shaarei arazim tuition really? I’ve heard it’s very expensive but idk the actual number

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
What about the yeshiva in West Bloomfield, MI. Not sure of the name exactly. It used to be in Toledo, OH.

I don't think it's a match. The rabbeim are warm but not necessarily young and energetic. It's not really equipped for boys who are a few years behind in Gemara.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:05 pm
happy12 wrote:
I would look into Nesivas Chaim for this current year. The Rabbiem are very caring and he will at least have some social life.

Definitely this rather than staying at home. 100%

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
I meant as a worst case scenario

How much is Shaarei arazim tuition really? I’ve heard it’s very expensive but idk the actual number

Best if you just make the call and have have all your questions answered from the source!

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
By your overall background and description of your DS, sounds like Shaarei Arazim would be a good fit.

Definitely worth going to meet the Menahel in Monsey and see what you think.

They come home often enough and its not that far from Brooklyn…

Going away could shape him in so many of the ways that he sounds like he needs.

Not just in learning-which they can and do, but socially… in age appropriate life skills.

Please consider it.

Much hatzlacha and nachas..

Shaarei Arazim is incredible. I have not sent a child there but I've had close relatives attend and it was amazing. Definitely look into it.

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Isn't it only for post-high school boys? OP said her son would only be in 9th grade.

Yes it is afaik.

I think the poster might be talking about Mill Basin Yeshiva Academy. The opened HS divisions. I have no idea what the names are or the building, but you can try the main office.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics