Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO beis medrash

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 10:38 am
For a boy that never got to taste what true Torah learning can feel like. He was in the wrong high school, went to the wrong place in Israel for two years, and now has given up on himself learning wise. (Wrong meaning didn’t have what he needed).
He wants to feel that cheshek and ta’am for learning, but in all the places he’s been to he was kind of left to fend for himself in that way and he never had a chance.
He’s very smart, but I don’t know how strong he is learning wise. Needs a place in the US that is warm and emphasizes Rebbi/Talmid relationship. He’s very talented in many areas, including music. He’s never been rebellious or anything like that but I get the feeling he’s not feeling so connected anymore simply because he never connected with any of it. Is frum and a real mentch. 20 years old.
Any ideas?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 10:44 am
Which schools were wrong for him and why were they wrong? What was lacking that he needed?

I'm knee deep in this parsha. Came on here because I am having a hard day.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:31 pm
Where's he holding hashkafically?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Which schools were wrong for him and why were they wrong? What was lacking that he needed?

I'm knee deep in this parsha. Came on here because I am having a hard day.

They were both places that kind of figured you’d figure it out on your own. Perfect for self motivated boys, not perfect for him. They didn’t teach how to learn it, they didn’t give over the hislahavus etc. Don’t know how else to describe it, maybe I should ask my husband for the exact wording to post on here if it will help.
He needs warmth. Rebbeim that care. Where he won’t get flack for wearing colored shirts and pants but they’ll take him seriously. He was never the most typical kid hobby wise. He would play tennis when they would be playing football. But he has a great personality and is very charismatic bH.

Hashkafically, it’s hard to know. He has questions, but that’s simply because that’s the way his brain works. He’s inquisitive. He’s trying to feel yiddishkeit, he’s been doing it logically and by rote until now. But he isn’t ch’v struggling with his actual observance; you see it more play out with the missing the minyan and not caring kind of thing.

I feel bad for the poor kid. At this point he just wants to go to college bc he gave up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:44 pm
I don't know much about it, but have you looked into Yeshiva of Greater Washington at all?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:46 pm
I don’t know yeshivas in the US at all. He went straight to Israel after HS. I’ll look into any names posted here.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:46 pm
Beis Hamidrash LaTorah / Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Il. Great, small, warm environment where post-high school boys can have a real kesher with their Rabbeim, enjoy learning, and also get undergraduate degrees in a variety of fields. Take a look at their website - https://www.htc.edu/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:48 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Beis Hamidrash LaTorah / Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Il. Great, small, warm environment where post-high school boys can have a real kesher with their Rabbeim, enjoy learning, and also get undergraduate degrees in a variety of fields. Take a look at their website - https://www.htc.edu/

Is the emphasis on the degree though?

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:50 pm
No HTC has the college courses after 2 full sedarim. Torah learning is the focus but I didn't think they had a robust enrollment these days. You should look into it more I could be hearing from the wrong people.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is the emphasis on the degree though?

Not necessarily, though most boys there do complete some kind of degree. They have a full learning program that is at least half a day, plus night seder. Based on what you said, it sounds like your son would actually be interested in going to college, anyway, so why not give him the chance to do so in a Frum environment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:00 pm
Right that’s true. I guess I just want him to have one more chance at yeshiva…

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 1:02 pm
Shaar Yoshuv

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:09 pm
WITS in Milwaukee?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:25 pm
Zweigs in miami

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:49 pm
The CC system won’t work for him. Will look into the other names, thanks.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:57 pm
Quote:
Shaar Yoshuv

I second this
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics